Does anybody feel physically sick before they compete...

opinionuk

Visit site
As the title says do you ever feel physically sick before competing?
I feel really sick with anticipation and become a nervous wreck does anybody feel like that, please say its not just me who struggles to remember dressage tests, SJ and xc courses!

slumdog

Visit site
Yes! I can't eat or drink anything and I actually feel like I'm going to vomit all over babyhorse! Although I've been going out every week since I've had my lorry and now have 2 'safe' show grounds where I feel ok, but if I even consider going anywhere else..vomit. Lol!

opinionuk

Visit site
Glad to know its not me! I get so nervous I forget dressage tests all the time! Off eventing at weekend determined to remember the test this time!

Firewell

Visit site
Yes me, I've always suffered from nerves sadly, I build myself up to the point I'm nearly in tears with the anticipation, nerves and fear of failure. Luckily they dissappear once I'm over the first fence and I turn into a lion heart! Like nothing will stop me. It's all rather dramatic but at least it has a positive effect I guess!
I don't get nervous dressage though, a tiny bit apprehensive because I want to do well but there's not enough adrenaline involved to make me nervous.
Tbh the times I haven't felt nervous I've felt slightly bored so for me I think I have to suck up the awful feeling sick and like I'm going to die feeling in order to feel so happy and elated once I'm done.

asmp

Visit site
I did a walk trot test a couple of weeks ago, the first time i have competed in 25 years! On the day I remembered why I stopped competing as it really stressed me out! I felt close to tears at one point but when it came to it, it was pouring down so I wasn't expecting it to be any good and we managed to do it without me forgetting my way. I realised as I left the arena though that I'd forgotten to breathe. I think I'll leave the competing to my daughter (get nervous watching her too)

opinionuk

Visit site
I read a quote from a professional rider once which said.

' if you don't get nervous before competing, then you don't want it bad enough!'

Boysy

Visit site
Yep to the point of passing out sometimes and shaking like a leaf but then i've had some pretty awful experiences out over the last couple of yrs and they have dented my confidence completely. I'm off out in-hand showing this week, don't need nerves for that so I ease myself into the season slowly and work up to actually sitting on the pony by the end of the year - LOL!

anna22

Visit site
I get nervous and never eat before a morning competition, but for many years I have managed not to get too bad... until this week!!! I was a wreck before my xc clinic on monday, and today thinking about Bradwall tomorrow?! Thankfully having walked the course I no longer want to vomit, but I am apprehensive :eek:
Especially as fence one on the xc is a virtually solid brush... full up 110! Same height as the novice palisade-type thing next to it :confused: Fingers crossed we'll fly over it and get the worst out of the way in the beginning! :D
I think it's because I have wanted this so badly for so long... and now it's here its actually terrifying!

tonitot

Visit site
I get really nervous and feel sick before a class, I only jump 2ft3 and 2ft6 at the moment! Once I get going though I'm fine and after my first class I can't wait for the second!,

Oldenburg27

Visit site
Your not alone I do also suffer with feeling sick.. Cant eat or drink before going in a class it's alright if I am showing, only happen's when I go jumping :rolleyes:

L&M

Visit site
Years ago I was actually sick down my horses shoulder entering the ring.....!!!! Not helpful as it was our first attempt at a county level showing class and he was a coloured cob with white shoulders lol!

TeamChaser

Visit site
Being counted down in the start box before my first intermediate team chase was pretty terrifying! Having walked the course beforehand with hedges nearly at shoulder height, fair to say I was a bit apprehensive. Was the biggest I'd jumed and the thought of doing it at speed made me feel pretty sick! I distinctly remember looking at one of my team mates in the start box and saying "think I might actually vomit"

Of course once we got going I was fine and that's probably why I enjoy it so much! They do say you should do things that scare you - makes you feel alive :D

MollyMoomin

www.petandanimalfeeds.co.uk
Yes. Tomorrow is a massive day for me - it is my (and the horses) first ever Elementary test and the last time I will ride her for a while - I'm pregnant and will be too heavy to ride her soon. I entered with the intention that I just wanted to DO it, to have done an Ele test on her and not embarrass ourselves, but in the last week, she's come into season and the spring grass has gone to her head, the combination of which has turned her into the bitch from hell. I am now unable to get any sort of canter transition and when I do, she will go from cantering happily round to slamming to a halt then while I'm halfway up her neck, sodding off in medium trot.

I'm not at all confident for tomorrow now, the nerves have kicked in already (I have the shake of fear just thinking about it and my hands are clammy!) so who knows what state I'll be in tomorrow?! To add to my anxiety they haven't put the times up yet (were meant to be up 5pm yesterday!) so can't even tell the horsebox guy what time to get me, so he is getting antsy too! (He needs to plan his day.)

OH is getting frustrated and wants to know why I do it if I get so worked up. Once I've done it I'm fine and enjoy myself(!)

ETA: We can do it! Up until Wednesday I'd have said we'd be going to compete rather than make up numbers but now, as long as I stay on and in the arena I'll be happy :lol:

ETA again(!): The organiser must be reading ;) as I've typed this post the times have gone up! Please think of me and cross your fingers at 3.47pm tomorrow.... And for the first time EVER there's 7 people in the ele test :lol: The one time I might have been guarenteed a consolation rosette has been thwarted...

Last edited:

TallulahBright

Visit site
Went xc schooling today for the first time in twenty years (me) and first time ever (Lula)!! Felt sick as a pig, she was unwilling even to canter near the fences to start with... Cue more nerves.
Soon got going though and both loved it! As the instructor said, she can jump and I can ride so leave the nerves at home!:D

opinionuk

Visit site
Went xc schooling today for the first time in twenty years (me) and first time ever (Lula)!! Felt sick as a pig, she was unwilling even to canter near the fences to start with... Cue more nerves.
Soon got going though and both loved it! As the instructor said, she can jump and I can ride so leave the nerves at home!:D

If only that easy!

opinionuk

Visit site
Yes. Tomorrow is a massive day for me - it is my (and the horses) first ever Elementary test and the last time I will ride her for a while - I'm pregnant and will be too heavy to ride her soon. I entered with the intention that I just wanted to DO it, to have done an Ele test on her and not embarrass ourselves, but in the last week, she's come into season and the spring grass has gone to her head, the combination of which has turned her into the bitch from hell. I am now unable to get any sort of canter transition and when I do, she will go from cantering happily round to slamming to a halt then while I'm halfway up her neck, sodding off in medium trot.

I'm not at all confident for tomorrow now, the nerves have kicked in already (I have the shake of fear just thinking about it and my hands are clammy!) so who knows what state I'll be in tomorrow?! To add to my anxiety they haven't put the times up yet (were meant to be up 5pm yesterday!) so can't even tell the horsebox guy what time to get me, so he is getting antsy too! (He needs to plan his day.

OH is getting frustrated and wants to know why I do it if I get so worked up. Once I've done it I'm fine and enjoy myself(!)

ETA: We can do it! Up until Wednesday I'd have said we'd be going to compete rather than make up numbers but now, as long as I stay on and in the arena I'll be happy :lol:

ETA again(!): The organiser must be reading ;) as I've typed this post the times have gone up! Please think of me and cross your fingers at 3.47pm tomorrow.... And for the first time EVER there's 7 people in the ele test :lol: The one time I might have been guarenteed a consolation rosette has been thwarted...

I feel your pain, tomorrow is a massive day for me aswell, we are doing a ODE, my mare who is a typical mare hates water which doesn't bound well for the xc round!
Also my parents have decided to come and watch, something they never do as they live 3 hours away so double pressure! Having just come back from walking the XC course I've got a feeling I might be needing my Tena lady pants on tomorrow!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I feel nothing doing dressage but I do stress myself out when I have moved up a level for the first time. Luckily as soon as I am on the horse it all goes.

micramadam

Visit site
And this is why I don't compete! I get nervous enough watching my daughter who incidentally has a dressage comp on Monday evening. Sometimes it's so bad I can't bear to watch.:(
My daughter recently attended a clinic called 'Mentally strong in the Ring'. It was all to with controlling your breathing and the pyschological aspects and not just for competitions. She has tried the techniques she learnt for a recent maths exam and passed and for her driving test which she also passed first time! She is now absolutely convinced it works.
Think I need to get her to teach me the techniques for her competition as I'll be a nervous wreck!

Marydoll

Visit site
Google NLP and tapping theyre good along with visualisation for reducing stress and anxiety in relation to competition nerves, i think it was Blythe Tait who used to vomit before comps but i might be wrong

Vanha12

Visit site
Crikey - I really feel for someone actually thinking they are going to vomit! what with everything else there is to worry about. I just get a knot in my stomach and a slight urge to run away from the xc! unfortunately for all of you that are feeling nauseous this manifests itself in a need to chatter away to everyone. Now I know why not many people talk back!

monte1

Visit site
Yes me, I've always suffered from nerves sadly, I build myself up to the point I'm nearly in tears with the anticipation, nerves and fear of failure. Luckily they dissappear once I'm over the first fence and I turn into a lion heart! Like nothing will stop me. It's all rather dramatic but at least it has a positive effect I guess!
I don't get nervous dressage though, a tiny bit apprehensive because I want to do well but there's not enough adrenaline involved to make me nervous.
Tbh the times I haven't felt nervous I've felt slightly bored so for me I think I have to suck up the awful feeling sick and like I'm going to die feeling in order to feel so happy and elated once I'm done.

This exactly !! I feel just sick to my stomach with nerves and suffer from a complete lack of confidence, convince myself everyone else is fantastic and we are not good enough to be there. however, .. once over the first fence I get focused, adrenaline kicks in and everything then is fine.. so strange , I feel for you , but you are not alone :-D

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
Not for dressage but do for jumping, once im over first fence its better, rescue remedy is really good, you can buy it from boots its natural herbal remedy to ease nerves - can get pastilles to chew or liquid drops on your tongue. Or just pimms! Lol ;)

Tonks

Visit site
Yes! After having my son nearly 4 years ago now, I lost a lot of nerve jumping XC (but SJ was ok.) I remember my fist competition after he was born and I was in tears in the XC warm up and then all hell broke loose when I entered the start box - with tears and shaking. The official asked me if I was okay....and whether I really want to put myself through it?? Good question......

Anyway, forced myself through it and although I'm not the most confident XC and still get very nervous to the point where my legs and aids become a bit useless, I'm so glad that I make myself do it, as the nerves do tend to disappear after the first fence and then adrenaline kicks in!