Does anybody have a horse with liver problems??

horsesfornow

Visit site
I have just found out from my vet, who took 2 blood tests, that my horse's liver isn't working properly.

Does anyone else have a horse with the same problems?

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
a horse I ride at my yard had liver problems when she was younger!
the vet tried everything (apparently, I wasnt working there when this was happening) and eventually the YO decided to take her off all meds, give her a few days just pure TLC and gave her milk thistle and she has been fine ever since (which is nice seeing as after the few days TLC she was supposed to be PTS!)

I think that it is a manageable problem/treatable to a degree as your liver can cope with an enormous amount of damage! (not saying damage the liver further, just saying a bit of damage is copable!)

Do you know what hte cause is?

NWalker

Visit site
Merlin had something wrong with his liver a couple of years ago. He was not himself I had blood tests taken and the tests came back that he had something wrong with his liver. He was on livery at the time and I was told it was a virus but I always wondered if it was after eating some very dodgy hay. He was rested for a couple of weeks and given a tonic and has not had any problems since. Hope this helps.

horsesfornow

Visit site
No but the vet is going to try some powers (sorry I can't remember the name) over 40 days that I add to the feed first, just incase there is something wrong with the stomach that could be making the liver not to work properly.

Colline

Visit site
me! My horse has liver disease - he also has melanomas. He only eats soaked hi fibre nuts and sugar beet with ad lib haylage now and is really quite hard to keep weight on. Saying that he is not on medication at present and so long as his weight remains stable I have been told I can bring him back into work and see how we go - its not something I'm considering tho. I haven't had a liver biopsy as once the melanoma biopsy was confirmed I didn't want to put him through any more stress - saying that he was an absolute angel for the vets (all three of them at once!!). He is somewhat of a miracle to me and I can't imagine being without him
frown.gif