Does anybody own a crib biter......

kirstyl

Visit site
I do, although didn't know when I bought him. Mine cribs more when stressed. He is out in the field as much as poss where he doesn't crib at all. He comes in for a few hours in the day with haylage to occupy him. It doesn't affect his condition or performance. Although I wouldn't have chosen to have a cribber, there are far worse vices your horse could have

moodymare_1993

Visit site
just have to be really careful with them, try getting the nast tasting stuff to put round his stable edges. my friends horse crib bites and hes done it for years and he does it so much, he has had splinters of wood on his lungs before :/

Lucycharlton_01

Visit site
I did but we got rid of her for this very reason which was a shame but she was a pest...

We were told she only done this when eating her feed but we later found out she done this all the time. To add to the problem she was in the stable quite a bit during the day because she had sweet itch so she basicly wind sucked on every thing. When we turned her out where we had post and rail fencing she would just stand there all day and go from post to post, rail to rail windsucking on each one.

Another thing. On some ocassions she used to get mild cases of colic because of the excessive intake of air and always used to look bloated.
After a year we got rid of her as she was causing more bother than what she was worth. She wrecked everything our stable and field. Our young horse also started to copy.
We tried stable toys which didn't work and a cribbing collar which didnt work either. You can also get special paint but imagine painting all the fences in the field.

Theres not much you can do as it is a vice but, If you are keeping the horse in the field I would recommend using electric fencing so he cant wind suck on it and wreck the fence. Also in the stable metal doors maybe better than wooden for the same reason of wrecking the stable door. You could try stable toys, wind sucking collars?

Sorry this is so long :)

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
I had one on loan. All she needed for more turn out and forage and less concentrate. She was an ex racer too. I took away the collar and eventually went from doing it all the time to just when she had her feed. It does depend on individual cases though. She was a very relaxed TB, so think this helped me.

leflynn

Visit site
I have one, it doesn't seem to affect him apart from that he has a habit akin to smoking so does want to crib now and then. Doesn't affect his performace and being a TB I've no idea if it means he costs more to feed. he does keep weight on and has reduced the amoutn he cribs with careful management :)

wyrdsister

Visit site
I have one on loan. I haven't managed to stop her doing it, but I have reduced the amount. She went from cribbing pretty much constantly in the stable to only doing it after she's given a treat. She stays out as much as possible, always has ad lib hay when she's in, wet feeds low on concentrates, branches to nibble at hung around her box so she moves about a bit, etc. It doesn't seem to affect her performance and she's only colicked once (reaction to a wormer) in the two years I've had her. I don't like seeing her do it, but I wouldn't ever go the route of collars and such, because I think it would stress her out. I've never known anything copy her either and my fidget-pants youngster was/is kept in full view!

ghostie

Visit site
It is often a symptom of gastric ulcers, as they do it to sooth the pain. Hence why ad lib hay, max turnout and low cereals can help. If it is caused by ulcers treating them and managing the horse accordingly can solve the problem, but equally it can just be a habit that is nearly impossible to break.

L&M

Visit site
Yes and no problems here.

We knew he cribbed as were told when we bought him and was reflected in his price. I have never tried to stop him as imagine it would stress him out more. I have tried a couple of supplements which were a waste of time and money, and tried crib box but couldn't bear the smell!!

He does not suffer from ulcers (had him scoped pre purchase), has never had colic in the 5 yrs of ownership, does not have problems keeping on weight and has no major dental wear.

He does it when stressed or excited, predominately around feed times. When stabled I ensure that he is always fed first and never left with out some sort of forage as a distraction. He reminds me very much of a smoker, as in the field will eat his brekkie, then go for a 5 min crib after!

As for performance, he is an ex BS horse, and still jumps well and is a very handy hunter, so would not say it has effected his performance in any way.

Although an unattractive habit, it would not deter me in considering another, but appreciate some cases are worse than others, and therefore have more consequences.

Last edited:

jaysh

Visit site
I have owned 2 cribbers. First one was hand reared & did it from when she was weaned off the bottle. She was never ill or suffered colic, she wore her teeth right down though & we had funny shaped fence posts! She got more stressed if we tried to stop her. Vet told me years ago it would shorten her life & she died a week before her 20th of heart failure. I own another one now. Bought her knowing she cribs as it doesnt bother me.

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
My mare cribs but like some people here, I liken it to smoking. Mine does it even with hay in her net when she's waiting for me to give her breakfast. She doesn't do it in the field but in her stable she does. She is a fantastic horse, REALLY keeps her weight on (in fact, she could do with losing some), safe, wins me stuff at shows, couldn't ask for a better horse. I would have another cribber if it was an equally fantastic horse :)

HBM1

Visit site
Yes, one of my mares, I have had her since she was 4 days old, I love her to bits, she is an amazing girl and I can't imagine being without her. Nothing she does bothers me and I never reprimand her or try to stop her. If she is ever in I make sure she has ad-lib hay and when out in the field she doesn't really bother much. the only time she has ever been unwell was when I kept her at a particular stud who had terrible management (thankfully they are no longer in business). She was never unwell before or since so that speaks volumes to me. she maintains her weight and is just the loveliest of people. One thing that I can't quite understand about some people who own cribbers is they get so stressed by it and try all sorts of anger responses, lotions and potions when all that does is stress the horse more if that is why they do it in the first place, so I can't see the point of it. She has never ever passed it on either to her foal (who is 3 years old today) or her field mates and she has been with the same ones for years.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Yep, I have one and he's the best horse I've ever owned and likely to ever own! It's never been a problem to him, just a bit annoying having to electric fence everywhere!

paschasmum

New User
Visit site
Mine cribs, he lives out 24/7 and does it after he eats his feed (sounds stupid but due to a missing tooth and the feed gets stuck in the gap and falls out when he cribs) bought him knowing he did it. He has a rail in his shelter so he can do it on that as he pleases. Only problem I've come across with it is keeping his weight on but that's easily managed.
It's never bothered me and makes it easy when the vet comes for something as he happily cribs while she does jabs etc.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Bred one, but she only started when she was weaned,and then put her through more stress with the crib collar,she did have colic attacks from it,so turned her out as much as poss,she only really cribbed at feed time and I did do a survey about it, kept her weight on well, had her put down at 19, with her sister aged 24 who was suffering from Cushings as they had always been together from the day she was born.And Crib collars I would ban.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Our paths cross again! My does, was reflected in price, and as some others have said, its a bit like having a smoke - after feed, as opposed to times of stess. As you will see from pics keeping condition is not a problem! He lives on nothing. I would buy another providing it wasn't a constant - ie seen at time of veiwing. Had vet check teeth for wear at vetting and no sign. Have you found a horse?