Does anybody want part loan anymore?

laurajane

Visit site
See, I don't know if it's just me finding this problem or not...

not long ago, people jumped at the chance to have their own horse 2/3times a week for less than the price of a riding lesson.

It just seems people want full loan, which I admit is nice, I have one on full loan, but I want someone to just help look after and ride the poor boy! Has anyone else experienced this?

Kaylum

Visit site
Well I think they do just depends on what terms I guess. So you have one on full loan and you want to part loan him to someone else! Confused.

horseriderdeb

Visit site
I'm having the same problem. They want to part loan your horse for nothing. If its full loan they want to move it. I have a lovely 15.3hh been there done it chap even done all pony club but can't find anyone for him

leflynn

Visit site
I have 2 friends who both part loan one of the boys, I knew one through part loaning another horse with her last year, there aren't that many people wanting part loan horses for long - I find they use it as a way to see if they can handle it/get back into horse ownership. Can't criticise as thats what I did too....

It's also tough finding people you trust and word of mouth seems to be the only way :(

Lockie123

Visit site
I have a friend looking for a horse on part loan and can't find anything at all around this area, she is willing to contribute and can be fairly flexible on days.

laurajane

Visit site
It's such a shame because everyone seems to be in the wrong part of the country!

I've got such a good relationship with Harry it'd break me to see him go to someone, even if I think they've got the perfect home, my friend looked after him but she wants my mare now... can't blame her, she's easier to ride, but proves a bit of laziness really...

Spotsrock

Visit site
I had a young girl who part loaned my pony but she grew, we have been looking for something bigger for her to part loan for AGES!! No one will consider her for a larger horse as she is (just) under 16 but her legs are so long she needs 15.2 plus. She likes bigger horses anyway but all she gets offered is 14.2s. She's very capable and I'm around at weekends to keep an eye on her if owner isn't but she needs free roller skates with a 14.2!

Keep trying.

Hawks27

Visit site
I am having the same issue finding someone for my girl she didnt make height for me but i don't wish to sell her as she is my baby im pretty much offering a free horse to someone part/full loan with me doing all the work as i enjoy taking care of her but she just isnt big enough for me plus i have injuries so horse is more talented than me and i dont want her to go to waste. I've been looking for a few months and can't find a sole to ride her.

Horse_Mad!

Visit site
I'd be interested in part loaning a horse, but the problem seems to be that there aren't as many adverts for sharers. Also, through word of mouth I seem to hear about a lot more people wanting to put their horses out on full loan rather than part loan them. I can't seem to find anything close enough, as I wouldn't want to travel too far for a part loan (petrol prices are too high at the moment!!!)

x x x

Wheels

Visit site
I'm having the same problem. They want to part loan your horse for nothing. If its full loan they want to move it. I have a lovely 15.3hh been there done it chap even done all pony club but can't find anyone for him

Well I would say that it's not really a full loan if the loaner isn't allowed to choose a yard that is suitable for them!

I am currently looking for a full loan but the horse will definitely have to move since I have my own land and stables, I won't be paying £200+ a month livery when I have room at my own house.

Not that I want to hijack the thread but why is it that people wanting to loan horses are so against letting them move, even if the horse is moving to a good situation?

Dottyfordylan

Visit site
I had a young girl who part loaned my pony but she grew, we have been looking for something bigger for her to part loan for AGES!! No one will consider her for a larger horse as she is (just) under 16 but her legs are so long she needs 15.2 plus. She likes bigger horses anyway but all she gets offered is 14.2s. She's very capable and I'm around at weekends to keep an eye on her if owner isn't but she needs free roller skates with a 14.2!

Keep trying.

where are you based?

laurajane

Visit site
Well I would say that it's not really a full loan if the loaner isn't allowed to choose a yard that is suitable for them!

I am currently looking for a full loan but the horse will definitely have to move since I have my own land and stables, I won't be paying £200+ a month livery when I have room at my own house.

Not that I want to hijack the thread but why is it that people wanting to loan horses are so against letting them move, even if the horse is moving to a good situation?

by only objection about letting him moved is I only want someone a couple of days a week, so with him being mine, why should I have to use my fuel to go see my horse i've got majority share over?

I'm not rally prepared to let him move away, but looks like I might have to. the only interest i've had in him are full loans and my parents (not that their opinion really matters, i'm nearly 20) think it's a bad idea coz i'm so attached to him. He's 17 but still acting like he's 5, so he's not getting any younger and I don't want to compete him as that's what my mare's for... I know it's slightly off topic but does anyone think it'll harm him going away for a year or 2? aslong as he's looked after n kept fit n with me when he's retired....

Tickles

Visit site
As a sharer I'd say that the most likely things to pus me off a share add are

- people who clearly want their horse bringing on for sale

- people who have very fixed days/times that they need someone to be at the yard. People lead very busy lives so it is important to be flexible at the outset even if you agree fixed days once you've found the right sharer (e.g. advertise for 3 days/week, not Mon/Weds/Fri)

- when people expect you to pay a 'fair' percentage of the costs of keeping the horse. If I was wanting to do that I'd want to have control over where it was kept, how it was managed etc too. As a sharer I expect to have less say and consequently less outlay too. I expect to contribute, in terms of finance and/or chores, just not as much as the owner.

I'm not saying your falls into either of those categories, I was considering taking a break myself over winter until the new share came along, but do have a think about how realistic your requirements, whatever they may be, are.

Obviously everyone has their own requirements in terms of what they want the horse to be able to do, the yard facilities and so forth too. Finding a share/sharer is, in many ways harder than finding a horse because you're trying to match owner/sharer and sharer/yard as well as horse/rider.

But when it works it is can be great for horse, owner and sharer.

Good luck!

Steorra

Visit site
I think Tickles has it spot on - the challenge is matching the sharer to the owner and the horse - it has to work for everyone.

Don't despair though, as different sharers will have different requirements and priorities. Some have more time to offer, some more money, some more riding experience...but you might have to decide which of these is more important to you and perhaps settle for two out of three.

Approachiong from the other direction, as it were, I have a horse on part loan, and actually do pay a 'fair' percentage of the costs (slightly less than half). However, our agreement is that the other part loaner and myself have complete charge of the horse, and her day to day management is left entirely up to us. The horse is a good match for me in terms of riding, and is on full livery so if I'm working late I can just show up and ride, or skip a night if I have to.

Other sharers would not want to pay so much, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to share a horse on DIY (because I don't have time and can't guarantee my working hours, not because I wouldn't enjoy it if I could) so it's swings and roundabouts. Keep looking until you find someone who fits in with what you need :)

lacey111

Visit site
I cannot find anybody decent to share/part loan my boys :-( I even offered free riding 2-3 times a week in return for a hour or so's poo picking a week and got no response, or got response from kids who said they could ride but struggled to do anything with my schoomaster gelding that will do anything for anyone. if they cant ride him there no way they could ride my other 2!!!!

I remember a quite few years back desperatly looking for a part loan for myself before I had my own and never found anything. Now there are loads available and no one wants?

People just seem to want to ride for free and without doing anything to help. I actually enjoy the pottering around the yard more some days rather than riding!

Where have all the decent sharers gone who are prepared to pay towards shoes?!

laurajane

Visit site
I cannot find anybody decent to share/part loan my boys :-( I even offered free riding 2-3 times a week in return for a hour or so's poo picking a week and got no response, or got response from kids who said they could ride but struggled to do anything with my schoomaster gelding that will do anything for anyone. if they cant ride him there no way they could ride my other 2!!!!

I remember a quite few years back desperatly looking for a part loan for myself before I had my own and never found anything. Now there are loads available and no one wants?

People just seem to want to ride for free and without doing anything to help. I actually enjoy the pottering around the yard more some days rather than riding!

Where have all the decent sharers gone who are prepared to pay towards shoes?!

Couldn't agree more, before I bought mine I was desperate for a horse and I was in a competetion with about 6 other people wanting the same one! You'd think if people were that skint they'd jump at the chance to only have to pay a little contribution, its still cheaper than a riding lesson at the end of the day!

My boyfriends started riding him... maybe I should charge him?