Does anyone actually put wraparound exercise sheets over knees

Molly'sMama

Visit site
Two friends at the yard were going hacking on a chilly misty morning, so decided to put their high viz sheets on their horses. One just put it under her saddle but the other wrapped it round herself- over saddle and velcroed at front 'because it's freezing'. The girl who put it under her saddle said she knew they did that but had never ever seen anyone actually use it for that. Tbh I rarely see it too. Do many people use them like that frequently?Is it uncomfortable- can you rising trot? What happens if you fall>
As seen on this http://www.bloominponies.co.uk/exercise-sheets.aspx#.VBlzFZRdXTo

Just a ramble, sorry. <3

GLW

Visit site
It looks like they only close with Velcro so should come apart in the event of a fall but I personally wouldn't risk it as I'd be worried about getting caught up.

Gypley

Visit site
I've done it once when it was freezing. It's not really restrictive and you can rise to the trot, but I found it moved around a lot and kept falling to one side. It kept me no warmer and was a right pain in the proverbial. Haven't done it since and quite frankly- wouldn't bother.

vam

Visit site
I have a few times but they slip back and stop covering my knees so i end up with cold or wet kness which defeats the object of them in first place!
I only every really put them under the saddle flap mainly as they fit better and slip less than tradional ex sheets than under the saddle.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have done with a hi viz sheet, mainly to increase visability. It's not particularly restrictive but I never get on with any type of exercise sheet, they all seem to slide back regardless or ruck up under the saddle.

Moomin1

Visit site
I got a Dri Rider when I was a kid after much hounding of the parents for one, and when I used it over my knees it was completely useless. It just slid from side to side and ended up hanging off the side of the horse. Plus, I wouldn't trust one not to get caught and drag you if you did fall off, so I wouldn't ever use one again.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I put them over my knees when it's cold, though tend to remove once I start cantering as they slip too much. I was once wearing one like this out hacking when my poor horse slipped right onto his knees (it was a very muddy path), I leapt off to check on him and the sheet didn't restrict me at all. Not sure I'd wear it like this on a sharp/naughty horse though as I'd imagine the constant slipping may aggravate them.

AAR

Visit site
Always put them under the saddle. I don't think it looks very nice if you put them over your knees, plus they would flap if you trot or canter.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I never wrap them around myself I put it under the stirrups and do it up in front the saddle. Really like them and they stay really well put this way

Vickijay

Visit site
My horse was doing walking rehab work through the winter for hours. Whatever the weather we were out and despite my multiple layers I was freezing!! So I had a thermatex one made especially to go over my knees properly.

They put double material over my legs to keep me warm and differently positioned Velcro to keep it wrapped up!! It was brilliant! I'm not sure id put it on a sharp or silly one though!

45808CA8-4162-46C6-8A5F-D32DE85D240D.jpg

BBP

Visit site
I do for walking out my sisters horse on cold days, it's so much warmer! But it did unvelcro and fly off during a canter so I don't for fast work. I also can't use anything like that on mine as he is too sharp. The only thing I can use is a nice high viz fleece as it makes no noise at all and doesn't flap, anything else is apparently going to kill him.