Does anyone buy horses at this time of year?

L&M

Visit site
Yes they are selling, but don't forget all the different lockdowns, especially the ones that may come straight after Christmas, as I would anticipate more travel restrictions.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A few years back I even flew to Ireland to buy one at this time of year, the Xmas decs were up. I was dead keen to buy!

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what is involved with sales livery? I see yards offer this but have never known what it really entails..do they get a horse fit? Just tidy it up? Do they actively try to sell the horse so you avail of their contacts? Do they train for sale?

Sales livery will be different with each yard. With the one I have used, they take the horse in and won't sell for a couple of weeks unless they already ride the horse (SJ pro). They will school the horse, give it a jump, take videos, take it to shows, with videos.

I then put together a sales video with the clips they sent and my own.

They did offer to do the advert, but it is easy to do online and I know the horse's history, so I did it.

We put both phone numbers, one as rider, one as owner. They would have been happy if I just used there number, but it looks less suspicious if buyers can talk to the owner.

If the horse was not as described, they would have sold with full disclosure, or send home. They are completely honest, to protect their reputation.

They fielded phone calls and arranged viewings. I could choose to be there, but didn't have to be. They gave Mme their professional and personal opinion of the prospective purchasers, they want the horse to be a success in the new home. They had no issues turning people away on the phone or in person if they were not a match.

They organised the vetting and did everything for that. I organised the payment to my account, once funds were cleared they arranged a pick-up, although I chose to be present for that, I had to pick up my saddles etc anyway.

They sold her beautifully. They gave her current form and made sure she was trimmed and washed and worked, with great trial facilities. They even hacked out with the new purchasers, would organise to take to a XC course too, if that had been necessary.

I paid sales livery, but not a % of the price. Selling is not really their thing, they are competitors, they sold as soon as they could, with regard to fitness and knowing the horse well enough to advise.

Despite livery being expensive, the few weeks' livery I paid was paid back in spades! I got more for the horse than I could have achieved at home.