does anyone compete in obedience?

ladyearl

vvv
Just that really. I'm dipping my toe in the waters and wondering what I might aim to do with Tess. I would like her to try agility as I think she'd like that but this year I am concentrating on her obedience work and was thinking maybe once we had sorted out her walking on the lead (she pulls like a train) we might try obedience competitions. So if anyone does ... what advice would you give a complete newbie.

We do go a club and practise lots and as a result we have been moved to the top (of three) beginners groups. I reached advanced group with my last dog but she was a bit too sensitive for shows etc. so we didn't really do any competitions.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I do it as a phase of an overall discipline so not sure if this advice is any good or not but we do look for the same focus/attention and 'joy' in work.

I think what I have found is keep everything very short and snappy, broken up into sections, nothing bores a dog like endless long repetitions, keep everything positive, if you are feeling in a crappy mood or tired or can't be bothered, don't train, put the dog away or go throw a ball instead, always end on a high.

I also keep certain very high value objects just for obedience training, never for free play, they only come out for obedience so it keeps the dog much more attentive.

Also try and keep the body language neutral, I am terrible for giving signals with my hands or body when I do not intend to.

stargirl88

Visit site
I second what cave canem has said although just a thought, have a look at rally-o too! Its more of a casual obedience test but there are still levels etc and it could be a fun starting point too :)

TurtleToo

Visit site
I kind of fell into obedience as many shows are joined agility and obedience, but have since discovered that one of my BCs prefers it to agility, she likes to be told exactly what to do and doesn't like thinking for herself :rolleyes: .

We're still in prebeginners, and I don't know what we'll do when we win out - she doesn't like retrieving, we're working on it though because she loves obedience otherwise.

You will go to shows and see many dogs in a very, very tight fixed heelwork position, yes it wins prizes but I can't see how it doesn't damage backs. My dogs have a much more relaxed heelwork position and quite a few judges have complimented it, they still do excellent close heelwork, but I taught it basically by free-shaping and then made tiny adjustments. I'm not in obedience to win prizes though, we just do it because we enjoy it and someone may come along and tell you that their fixed heelwork position causes no issues. I find it much easier to teach heel off lead before heel on lead too, even though my dogs can walk well on a walk, you wouldn't expect them to maintain a proper heelwork position. Obviously once you go up the levels you'll need a competition obedience trainer to teach scent exercises :)

Good luck, I enjoy it as much as my agility.

ladyearl

vvv
I kind of fell into obedience as many shows are joined agility and obedience, but have since discovered that one of my BCs prefers it to agility, she likes to be told exactly what to do and doesn't like thinking for herself :rolleyes: .

We're still in prebeginners, and I don't know what we'll do when we win out - she doesn't like retrieving, we're working on it though because she loves obedience otherwise.

You will go to shows and see many dogs in a very, very tight fixed heelwork position, yes it wins prizes but I can't see how it doesn't damage backs. My dogs have a much more relaxed heelwork position and quite a few judges have complimented it, they still do excellent close heelwork, but I taught it basically by free-shaping and then made tiny adjustments. I'm not in obedience to win prizes though, we just do it because we enjoy it and someone may come along and tell you that their fixed heelwork position causes no issues. I find it much easier to teach heel off lead before heel on lead too, even though my dogs can walk well on a walk, you wouldn't expect them to maintain a proper heelwork position. Obviously once you go up the levels you'll need a competition obedience trainer to teach scent exercises :)

Good luck, I enjoy it as much as my agility.

thanks that is helpful - I am beginning to get somewhere with the off lead heel work - I thought that at the prebeginners stage it was on lead although I do need to stop her pulling so much anyway

ladyearl

vvv
I second what cave canem has said although just a thought, have a look at rally-o too! Its more of a casual obedience test but there are still levels etc and it could be a fun starting point too :)

haven't heard of this?? off to google ..........

fruity

Visit site
I'm currently in advanced obedience classes with my rescue collie and although he's going well and learning quickly he is still very nervous,i've decided to have a bash at Rally o,he really took to it,look it up,it's so much fun!