Does anyone else have a 3 legged dog

Cluny

Visit site
I would love to hear from anyone else who has a three legged dog. I took on Azlan from Evesham Lurcher and Greyhound Rescue, he lost his front leg early on last year in horrible circumstances, luckily his age was on his side (he was 2) and although they couldn't save his leg, he seems to manage just find on 3 and can outrun many 4 leggedy dogs!

The only thing that I'm worried about is when he gets older, will her suffer more from arthritis type conditions. Does anyone have experience of older 3 legged dogs

Here are a couple of photos of my lad, he's Saluki x Sloughi lurcher.

04042008087-1.jpg

Of course being a lurcher he is a master of relaxation!

07102008255.jpg

CAYLA

Visit site
Wow, what a little stunner, I think skinnydogs has a 3 legged saluki type.......have seen piccies of hers charging around.....we also have a young puppy lurcher in our rescue with 3 legs, a back leg amputee, I think inevitably they are at a disadvantage in older life, more so for the wear and tear on the other joints compensating for the lost limb, keeping their weight steady will always help, but obs, once a good leg starts with problems, it's alot worse, our puppy recently hurt himself playing, and it was tough and go as to whether or not, we would have to pts, as for a whole day, he could not get up at all, but recovered well by the next morning, thank the lord
crazy.gif
smile.gif

Skinndogs can tell u more Im sure, Im not sure how old hers is.

mon

Visit site
We had a lakeland x border terrier which lost a back leg and she lived to nearly 17, the only thing was she could not jump on to the sofa, animals don't know they are disabled.

Goya

Visit site
Hi. There is a 3 legged Lab which does flyball occasionally. seems to be very happy. However I am not certain of the wisdom of this as I worry about the strain on its other limbs. However, it is not my dog, I don't know the owners and the dog appears happy and certainly not distressed in any way.

Foxyfilly

Visit site
Hi, I also (as Cala said) have a tripod, he had his leg removed a year ago. I too wonder about the future and
if he'll eventually get arthritis etc....however if he has 8 or 9
years running like a loon and enjoying life, thats good enough
for me! Quality not quantity is my motto
smile.gif

Azlan is gorgeous, well done for taking him on.

This is a link to a forum specially for tripods.

http://www.tripawds.com/forums/

and here's my stoopid boy!

DSC00716.jpg

Oneofthepack

Visit site
I used to follow Azlans progress on the website. He was known as Prince Azlan if I remember rightly? So glad he found a nice home. He's an absolute babe!

You could start giving him supplements to support all the ligaments/cartilage/joints etc to prepare him for old age as he might suffer later in life. I used Joint Aid for Dogs on Indie as she's old and for Alf who's only 5 but has deformaties in his back legs that make him hunch up and it seems very good.

Cluny

Visit site
Ah Oneofthepack, that's lovely that you have heard of him (yes he is Prince Azlan), he was featured on the front page of the EGLR website for quite a while. He is a super super lad, just the most amazing personality, loves life to the full and whizzes around at high speed. It only took a few months for him to trust strangers as well, which I was so impressed with, he's such a trusting chap, especially considering what he's been through. Thanks so much for the tip on Joint Aid, I'll go and have a look at it.

Skinnydogs what a gorgeous gorgeous chap, I can sooooo see the saluki in him, my old lurcher boy is a short haired saluki chap and he has got the same features as your lad. Thanks so much for the tip for the 3 leggedy dog owners website, I will go and have a look. I guess the one thing that 3 leggedy long noses have on their side (as opposed to say labradors) is that they are more lightweight and therefore hopefully there is less stress on the joints.

Cala so pleased to hear that your pup made a full recovery, was he a long nose too, they are the biggest wimps aren't they!

Oneofthepack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so much for the tip on Joint Aid, I'll go and have a look at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Pedigree Chum do one too but the Joint Aid for Dogs I have is from the vets or Mole Valley (or any countryside feed warehouse I guess) It's greeny coloured granules in a blue pouch and it's about £12 but lasts ages.

Poor Azlan, he had such a rough time didn't he but he's obviously fallen on his feet....or rather his back judging by the second pic
tongue.gif