Does anyone employ a groom, instead of putting horses on full livery?

HKJ

Visit site
Just had a thought...

Does anyone on here hire/employ a private groom to do their horses, instead of putting them on full livery (including riding?)

I have 3 horses, 2 on full livery and 1 at my Mums yard. I pay someone to ride whilst I am away with work ( which is about 14 weeks a year) and
I'm starting to think I might as well hire someone and have the horses at home and looked after by one person, so I can have complete control of everything they do (feed, turnout, exercise)

Has anyone had any experience doing this and what are the pro's and cons?

PennyJ

Visit site
It depends if you can find someone "worthy" of your horses. As I'm sure you already know, so many grooms turn out to be not as described in some way or another. The biggest problem is what would you do if the groom called in sick? At least if they are on livery, that is not your problem.

I would have thought it would work out cheaper for you too. For 2 or 3 horses, full care on a daily basis is not a full time job either. They ought to be able to get through the lot in about 4 hours.

coloa

Visit site
i employ grooms the biggest and my advise is yes it will be cheaper in the long run but to find a groom that can work sole charge they wouldnt be cheap. also when it comes to pay and tax i tell all mine they have to sort and pay there own tax. i work out wat it will be for them and pay the extra so they dont lose out. i found this the easiest way as grooms come and go especially when winter sets in. plus sorting my taxes is complicated enough haha without having to think about theirs too.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I am a groom at the moment that is doing 2 horses and 2 ponies on a DIY come erm private place - can't call it a yard as it really isn't.
I so everything with them...handful that they are too to turn out bring in etc..hard work.

I am getting an hourly wage cash in hand for 1st 2wks then will be going on 'books' so my tax and NI will be paid.
So long as you find a decent reliable person that can give some notice if they are unable to tend to your horses and have perhaps someone on the 'stand by' just incase this happens?.
Just an idea but yes it is sooo much cheaper than full livery.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We had a part time groom to cover when I was working away a lot. She earned more than I expected, but was wonderful - felt totally confident leaving her to ride my fit event horses. Had v experienced horsey family as back up too. Unfortunately can't afford her at the mo as my work has changed for a while! She was self employed and had her own insurance.

We have a girl who does Sunday mornings for us - again, I pay her more than some on here would, but she has never let us down in 2 years, and the lie in for us both is worth its weight in gold!

Pros - as you said, you decide everything. Horses are at home... Someone to cover nights away/ holidays...

cons- you have to find someone reliable and trustworthy. Sickness cover.