Does anyone feel like jacking it all in?

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s just horses .
You have to enjoy the good bits when they come along because there will be a great load of hideous stuff coming round the corner in a mo .
Op its just profoundly depressing when this happens to you the plight of the one horse eventer is tough all your eggs in one fragile basket .
I hope you can get back on track .

googol

Visit site
When times are tough it’s easy to forget the therapy that they give us that we don’t even realise. I am currently horseless after a long long time of horse ownership and I’m genuinely worried that I won’t have the same strength of mind / resilience that I had when I had my 2 as my “release”
it’s definitely different for me though because I didn’t chose to be horseless unfortunately, but I 100% think that once you bond with a horse and grow a passion for the sport/hobby it gets into your blood, heart and head and nothing else compares! Someone on this thread said it’s the only thing that gives them a fire in their belly and I’d say that’s true for most of us, even when feeling fed up.
Before I lost mine my friend sold up and gave up horses and we used to joke about how “free” she was. At times I even felt a bit envious of her when we had been out for the day and she was carefree and flexible and I started to feel anxious knowing I needed to get back to the yard to sort horses. How I regret (and feel guilty) for those thoughts now!!
Shortly after I lost mine, I was at such a loss with what to be doing with myself / thinking of a new hobby to take up (not currently in a position to get another) I was watching badminton on tv and saying to my OH that there literally isn’t another sport/hobby (I have to say hobby for my own situation haha) that compares so I will have to stop trying. Like it brings sooo much satisfaction in so many ways being able to ride, care for, nurture, bond with, progress on, teach, train, and feel accomplishment and adrenaline like no other,with a big animal whose soul is as deep as the ocean. A bike or a gym class is just never going to cut it,I think anyway!
Anyway,. That was a rant a half lol my point is that unless you know in your heart of hearts that you WANT to give up, (for whatever reason) you probably don’t, and the feeling is probably temporary. It will just take one quiet moment, or one look into your horses soul to confirm that <3

rachk89

Visit site
Yep, very recently been wanting to give up, retire my horse and find something else to do.

It's been 2 years since he's been properly sound and not in pain. Still isn't sound. He's had kissing spine surgery this year after finally getting to the bottom of why he kept being a sod. He was fine after it.

Until a while ago when he managed to damage his stifle in the field and is now lame on 3 legs. To make matters worse, I've found a skin abnormality on the inside of one of the lame legs that looks like a sarcoid.

The only reason he has not been retired yet is because he is in pain and I will not put him out to a field for the rest of his life in pain and on danilon. He may end up retired still, but he'll probably get surgery on the stifle first to sort that issue. The legs may never recover, we don't know, but it's only the suspensory ligaments that are damaged so might be lucky, there are worse ones that it could have been.

That's how I try to look at it: it could be worse. But it's still demotivating and depressing at times.

rachk89

Visit site
Oh thats such a shame Rach. They really do know how to break your heart dont they :(

They do yeah. He'd be such a good horse if he'd just be sound. Vet keeps asking me what my plans are in the future and my response is basically let's just get him comfortable first and plan the options from there. Not bothered really if he'll never be ridden again although I would like to, but I hate knowing he's sore right. Good lad is dealing with it so well.

Sprat

Visit site
I saw a picture on Facebook the other day that said ‘horses will never break your heart, just your bones. And you have 206 of them’

I disagree. I’m sure horses have broken my heart much more frequently than men!

Lurfy

Visit site
I lost my much loved riding horse who I'd had for 15 years 3 years ago and haven't ridden since. I transferred my attention to my daughters retired tb who I dote on. We go for long hand walks and do all kinds of nice activities. He is a v hot horse, but he knows what I do with him and is like a lamb with me. I am not ruling out getting another riding horse down the track, but I'm perfectly happy at the moment spending time with this retired boy.

He is "broken" but certainly filled a gaping hole in my heart. I did T touch clinics many years ago and have now had a chance to use more of the skills I learnt back then. I've had horses since I was five and now in my mid 50's I'm still learning with this old boy.

Horses are the greatest teachers, but sadly they are fragile creatures. I understand the frustration of struggling to keep horses sound and despite all efforts and expense they still break down. Then when they die it can be very dramatic and leave us distraught. I've yet to "get back on the horse" and start that whole process again, so hats off to those who pick up and keep going. I think horse people are a resilient bunch.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Going through this now! I’ve lost all my motivation for the same reasons. My horse has been off for pretty much the whole year! I’ve asked an experienced friend to come help me get his fitness back. Maybe you could do that when you’re ready?x