Does anyone have a horse/pony that has been diagnosed with Equine Metabolic Syndrome?

Pancakes

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I am a final year degree student at Warwickshire College (and long-time lurker on the forum, I prefer to read than post :)). As part of my degree I have to complete an undergraduate dissertation on:
'A survey of body condition scores within the UK horse population and its relationship to Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS)'
In order to collect representative data I need to condition score horses that have been diagnosed with EMS, this will form the foundation of my dissertation. I would be very grateful if anyone out there would be willing to let me come and condition score their horse that has EMS.
ETA: I realise I am a complete stranger to some of you so would understand if you would prefer not to take part :)
Thank you for taking your time to read this, hot chocolate and marshmallows for all, on this very wintery Friday!:eek:
(please feel free to PM me for more info)
Jenna

Last edited:

Pancakes

Visit site
please feel free to PM me if you have an EMS horse/pony and wouldnt mind getting involved in other ways :)

oh and hot chocoate and mashmallows for windy THURSDAY!!...........wishful thinking it was friday:rolleyes:

itsonlyme

Visit site
I have a cushings / IR mare who the vet has never officially diagnosed as having EMS, nor put on metaformin; but she is managed as though she has EMS. If that's any use, let me know. Im in cheshire. Got all her bloodwork too if u need that :)

Fourponies

Visit site
Hi my pony was diagnosed with EMS at the end of November. She is currently on metformin and finishes her course next week. I am more than happy to assist you. I'm in the Midlands.

kirstys 1

Visit site
Have an EMS pony - I am in Kent if that is any use to you?

(Just realised you're in Warwickshire - might be too far, but if it's not - feel free!)

Last edited:

laura7981

Visit site
i have an EMS/IR pony, was on metformin but has been off it a few months and is doing fine! Blood work has shown her insulin etc is in normal range. We are near Newcastle :)

Pancakes

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies, i am really greatful! HHO never fails to be of help:)
I have PM'd you all with further details.

Thank you again chocolate brownies and a good old brew for all :D

Jenna (aka pancakes)

BigRed

Visit site
I have an EMS pony but I am in Surrey. I'd love to know what other people's insulin levels were/are. My pony started on 58 and came down to 51. My vet told me it should be below 20.

Having spoken to another person about this, this isn't at all high ?

Fourponies

Visit site
Hi my pony's insulin level was 900 which my vet said wasn't unusual (should be 29ish). Hopefully after finishing her metformin it will nearer 29 than 900! Fingers crossed!!

WandaMare

Visit site
I have a pony that suffered chronic laminitis for a few years and was managed on a no sugar diet. He still had the odd flare up of laminitis with changes of hay etc. so vet tested him for EMS last year. The blood results were negative but all other signs showed he had it. Started him on Metformin end of Oct 2011 and he has shown great improvement and touch wood no laminitis this winter (first time for 3 years). He also tested negative for Cushings by the way. He is 18 this year.

I am based near Bristol and would be happy to help if you want to contact me.

zf92

New User
Visit site
my horse has been diagnosed with EMS just over a year ago- his levels were around 500, and he was on 26 metformin a day. He is now off metformin and his levels are around 17!

we are in cheshire and happy to help!

Wundahorse

Visit site
Bump :)
Anyone else who may be able to assist me with my investigation please PM me, all help much appreciated:)
Thanks,
Jenna

A friends 18 year old pony was diagnosed before christmas.She was losing weight but eating well and still competing in show juming.Worried about the inexplicable weight loss she was assessed by the Vet,blood sugar levels done and the Cushings test.She was positive to Cushings and had bm's of 50 odd.This pony has a history of laminitis,and in the past had odd sweat patches on her neck.She is now on periglide and doing well.I am worried about the persons post who mentioned levels of 900!I hope this is not blood sugar levels as she would be at risk of keto acidosis.