Does anyone have any experience with Thoroughpin injuries?

sleepykitten

Visit site
My mare sustained a thoroughpin injury around 3 months ago when she got her back leg caught up in a rug strap. Vet came out, we did a fortnight of box rest and cold hosing, bute and controlled hand walking. She was then turned out into a small paddock and controlled exercise kept going. She was never lame as a result of the injury.

More recently the vet drained it and injected some Hylauranic acid into the swelling. It went down for a while but has now come back up. I've spoken to the vet and he says that we have done everything we can for it and just to manage it as I am, but when riding she just doesn't seem 100% sometimes.

I'm not bothered that it is swollen and unsightly as she is not shown, just a happy hacker, but just wondering if anyone out there has any experience of a similar injury and if you found anything that helped at all?

Thanks!

Ronalda

Visit site
Thoroughpin is a synovial distension of the tarsal tendon sheath much like its more commonly found non-articular windgall at the fetlock. A result of injury, over use or a product of age, the swelling is simply an over production of a less viscous synovial fluid where the site is attempting to fix itself.

Cooling and continued controlled movement will reduce swelling but after some days any inflammatory response may cause swelling to return as blood pools and lymphatic drainage cannot remove dead cells and toxins.

Our 22 year old Arab cross is prone to distensions (and stocking up) but is never lame so we hose him, keep him moving and he just presses on regardless.