Does anyone have or know a nutty Connemara?

Patterdale

Visit site
Thank you so, so much for the replies. Especially what you said Yuki about considering the horse in front of me. I've heard lots of bad things about him but it's very hard when he's only ever been lovely with me.

He's definitely getting scoped, and hind legs x rayed if the vet/insurance will agree. I think he's definitely trying to tell us something.

I'm also going to try lunging him this week just to see what happens.

Grey.mare

Visit site
So last year I bought a lovely 3 year old performance bred connie.

Fast forward 10 months and, despite spending £100s on schooling and being no novice myself, he's been branded dangerous to the point I've been advised he be PTS. I can't work out why he is doing the behaviour.

Since this has happened I've started coming across lots of people who've had or known of similar Connemaras. Before this I thought they were one of the nicest breeds, temperament wise. Now I'm wondering.

Soooo.....anyone else?

My Connie mare is mental at the best of times and is very sensitive went through a phase where if anyone else rode her on the flat she wouldnt canter 3 time for a month... Not easy animals like people like to make out! Maybe turn him away to mature and give him a break then spend lots of time on the ground work? Not normally one to suggest it but maybe try some other methods ie natural horsemanship trainer and see if they can help? If its random it could be confusion or just a lack of respect depending on the cause? Good luck! My connie is amazing and wouldnt swap her for the world :) hopefull he will be worth all the hassle in the long run!

Hand that feeds

New User
Visit site
Thank you so, so much for the replies. Especially what you said Yuki about considering the horse in front of me. I've heard lots of bad things about him but it's very hard when he's only ever been lovely with me.

He's definitely getting scoped, and hind legs x rayed if the vet/insurance will agree. I think he's definitely trying to tell us something.

I'm also going to try lunging him this week just to see what happens.

Hi Patterdale. Here we are 2 1/2 years on. Just wondering what happened to your pony ? . I am in the same boat with one. I’m starting with scoping and taking it from there .....

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh yes Connies can be tricky and quirky .
A friend had an epically amusing one ,well he was that if you where highly competent
They dont make up so many of the FEI event ponies for no reason .