Does anyone here hunt but not jump?

KINDMARE

Visit site
Hi

I am thinking of taking up hunting - have a wonderful horse who i think will excell but she wont jump. i too dont jump. Do you think it will be ok or will there be times when a jump/ditch cant be got round?
thanks

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Will your horse scramble over a tiny log or mini ditch?

ETA I ask that because there was a ‘non jumping’ route set on a fun ride near us that involved at one point stepping over a small log into a wood. The log was maybe a foot high.

There was a guy riding western who was very annoyed as he classified it as a jump, and he wouldn't/couldn’t cross it, so he retraced his steps back to the start to complain to the organisers.

Last edited:

leflynn

Visit site
I hunt occasionally but don't normally jump and I usually find someone who knows the gates/ways rounds at the meets, another hunt doesn't have so many jumps but do have ditches/water to cross and the odd fallen tree. Best bet is to mention it to the hunt secretary and explain and they'll usually point you in the direction of someone or advise better non/less jumping meets depending on your pack.

I normally do dressage, so rusty jumping but my boy will go over small stuff, ditches/water if I have to and will jump hunt jumps if I feel brave enough (with a lead usually), my advice is be prepared for the odd thing to go over just in case (maybe thats me)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I hunted quite regularly pre ban, and very, very rarely jumped (just too much of a wimp). Post ban I believe most hunting gives the option of not jumping, with a clear path around any obstacles.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it depends very much on your country, hunting locally (hackable distance) on the hampshire/wilts border there was never really any need to jump and (as on an OAP) didn't unless I really had to- which by memory totals one small log and one tiny tiny ditch/slightly deep stream.
They had hedge days over the other side of the country.
Hunting quantocks I never jumped either.

spacefaer

Visit site
Depends which pack you plan to go out with. Some never leave the ground - eg those on Exmoor, Dartmouth, some in Wales.
Some of the bigger packs you would struggle with, as they cross country at speed, and while it is theoretically possible to follow on roads and tracks with every pack, you'd get left behind vey quickly

Some packs have specific non -jumping field masters so you can just follow them - but be aware just because they don't jump, doesn't mean they're slow!

palo1

Visit site
Depends which pack you plan to go out with. Some never leave the ground - eg those on Exmoor, Dartmouth, some in Wales.
Some of the bigger packs you would struggle with, as they cross country at speed, and while it is theoretically possible to follow on roads and tracks with every pack, you'd get left behind vey quickly

Some packs have specific non -jumping field masters so you can just follow them - but be aware just because they don't jump, doesn't mean they're slow!

This :) I do think though that it is a huge benefit if you CAN jump something if you want to hunt. Also, bear in mind that sometimes the non-jumping field, as Spacefaer says may be faster/hairier than the jumping field as they may need to go further round to keep up. I do think if you are able to pop over something about 2'3''-2''6'' if necessary then you will feel a bit more relaxed about going. Also, those non-jumping packs can have some truly challenging terrain to cover - jumps are sometimes the least frightening bit....I say this as someone who regularly hunts with a non-jumping pack. Even we need to jump something very occasionally and certainly actually do jump some small mountain gullies etc. The thing about being able to jump is that it is not just about height etc but about being able to negotiate a variety of terrain/obstacles. Even my non-jumping horse is quite happy to do hunting related obstacles though there is almost always a good way round.

irishdraft

Visit site
My hunt will occasionally put on non jumping days and will sometimes have a non jumping field master so non jumpers can go with them but as others have said it very much depends where you are in the country .

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Also, those non-jumping packs can have some truly challenging terrain to cover - jumps are sometimes the least frightening bit....I say this as someone who regularly hunts with a non-jumping pack.
Definitely this. Not much jumping in Devon, but you need to be able to cope with some pretty demanding scrambling over banks etc at times! Or crossing the moor, and trusting the horse to pick its way through granite rock strewn slopes.

Shay

Visit site
It does depend on your pack but most have a non jumping line. We have a specific non jumoing master. Speak to the secretary and explain the issue. They can reccommend days where there are no jumpis in the country.

palo1

Visit site
Definitely this. Not much jumping in Devon, but you need to be able to cope with some pretty demanding scrambling over banks etc at times! Or crossing the moor, and trusting the horse to pick its way through granite rock strewn slopes.

Or trotting along some horrible, greasy sheep track with a cliff on one side and precipitous drop on the other - HORRIBLE!! The days we are in something like vale country and I think I might have to jump something are far less nerve-wracking than some of hill days (which are definately the most common). On the other hand, there is literally nothing better than the open hill on a beautiful winter's day. :) Jumping is just one bit of the day and it really doesn't matter usually if you do or don't but it is certainly better if you could if needed! :) Whatever you do, enjoy! :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have always jumped, but did once buddy up with a non jumper (they tried to jump but horse would not, and then their horse got really silly when left behind) as they needed help.

We just found a way! Some places we re-traced steps, some places we were actually quicker as sometimes the hunt took a detour just to do some jumps.

Not jumping is no issue if your horse is independently minded (mine would happily go off alone) but is also a lot easier if you can buddy up so you don't be abandoned alone. Much more cheerful sharing a hip-flask!

I do see hunts advertising non jumping groups as well.

Kat

Visit site
The pack I hunt with always have a non-jumping option. There is normally a non-jumping field master and the route to avoid jumps is never far out of the way.

Our Lady Master no longer jumps so there has to be an option for her. Our Huntsman doesn't jump much either.

I rarely jump when out hunting and always have a great time.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes. I’ve been out with a few local hunts and each has had a non jumping field master with quite a few non jumpers. I found the drag hunt I have been out with better generally than trail hunts as drag just seem a bit better organised and aware of where they are going. With The trail hunts I sometimes felt like the poor relation if I wasn’t jumping and we got lost a few times.

Agree with phoning ahead and chatting to the secy to give you a steer.

KINDMARE

Visit site
Thanky you all for taking the time to reply - i feel better now knowing there is a chance that I will be able to join the local hunt.