Does anyone here use Equine America Cortaflex?

cattysmith

Visit site
I've an older mare, 18, who is still in regular work. She already gets Codlavine joint supplement, but I have recently been thinking of moving her onto the Cortaflex.

I am just wondering if any of you with older horses use this and how effective you find it? She's only a little stiff at times, as you would expect at her age, but I'm keen to introduce her to something new. I know its pricey but I just wonder if its worth it?

dianchi

Visit site
Is she not doing well on the supplement that you already use?

As with all supplements trial and error to see what suits your horse, personally i feed straight MSN (£20 for 3 month supply) as my girl's issue is swelling when in.

JillA

Visit site
No but I use their glucosamine and MSM which is about 1/3 of the price - I still don't know what the main difference is, apart from the chondroitin.
Preventative in our case because I am trying to safeguard fetlock joints in a middle aged horse with bad pigeon toes, so I honestly couldn't tell you how effective it is.

Archiepoo

Visit site
cortaflex is wonderful for some horses ,and doesnt do much for others-it really is worth trying a small pot for a month and see!
my old tb was so stiff in the stifle you couldnt do a thing with him -but on cortaflex he could do a really good dressage test :)

4x4

Visit site
Hi I started with that but moved to the Equimins joint supplement- advised that powder form was more concentrated and they spend a lot less on advertising than EA so more money is spent on research. 1 pot lasts ages. Also if you need advice you can ring and ask for David - he's been to the States for courses etc. and is very knowledgeable.

Emma86

Visit site
I started using this about 6 months ago and seemed to make a bit of a difference through the winter. Although, last month when I went to stock up I asked the difference between Cortaflex and other similar products and was advised its actually a good idea to change between the similar supplements (eg NAF Superflex) every few months. Don't know if this is correct?

teabiscuit

Visit site
I've been informed that the one with ha in it is the best for horses showing signs of wear and tear, without ha is for prevention. I think my horse is better on it, I haven't stopped it to see if deterioration occurs though so can't say for sure.

starryeyed

Visit site
I gave my late gelding Cortaflex and it made a massive difference - very expensive but definitely worth it! I found that the standard cortaflex helped a little, but when I spoke to Equine America about his very dodgy joints they recommended Cortaflex HA (the one with the yellow top) - once he'd been on that for a week he was a different horse, I was amazed by the transformation in him - incredible stuff! It's definitely worth a try, as archiepoo said - it seems to work miracles for some and not make much of a difference to others - but I'd definitely give it a go. I feed my mare Kentucky Liquid Joint Supplement (also by equine america) which is the next step down from Cortaflex, as she doesn't have joint issues yet but I want to prevent them - this is much more affordable & could be worth trying? x