Does anyone know any Pro-Set babies?

_jetset_

Visit site
I have been having a look on the internet and cannot really find any Pro-Set babies out there... I know some of his progeny should be under saddle this year, and I would love to know how they are getting on.

I have seen some pictures of weanlings, yearlings an two year olds, but I think that is the extent of the ones I have seen.

Thank you,

Rebecca x

severnmiles

Visit site
My old trainer has two, she bought them for dressage and had them from 2y.o's but once broken both indicated talent and enthusiasm for eventing rather than dressage, last I heard they were going to be affiliated but I don't know their names to be able to look them up.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks for that... that's the kind of info I'm looking for
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
My YO has a proset yearling - it was nice when it was a foal, im afraid its nothing special now and seems to have lost its flashy movement.......perhaps that will come back when its backed, who knows....

CentrestageSHS

Visit site
I have not been impressed with any pro-set youngstock I have seen, I was going to use him but went for Negro instead. The ones I have seen have all been quite lightweight almost thoroughbred looking horses, and have not really had out of this world paces. Yhey look quite plain too, a little bland! I would imagine they would make better eventers with the right cross, or ok dressage horses if put to a chunky mare with great movement.

milliepup

Visit site
I know a proset yearling who has just broken his owners leg!
Not the best looking horses and maybe it's personal but I think they are a little plain.

Ciss

Visit site
One from his first crop went to South Africa and is now a graded stallion. En route he became Supreme In-Hand Champion at the South African Horse of the Year Show (1st time a warmblood has ever done that) where the judges were actually Jennie L-C and Davina Whiteman plus an Auzzie guy whose name I don't know. Said stallion is now in dressage training and has already beaten all the big v expensive German imports several times and has been described by a top international dressage trainer from Switzerland as an outstanding dressage prospect. He is not very large (about 16 hands now) and dark bay and all his life has looked very harmonious (no ugly yearling/2-y-old stage for him!).

The South Africans are amazed that we let such quality horses out -- or more corectly that our foreign-obsessed dressage riders can't see what quality we arenow producing as home-grown products -- but are every happy that they have him and we don't

mat

www.atmosphere-equestrian.com
IMO they seem to be very beautiful and flashy when they are born, and they then grow into very ordinary horses... there are exceptions though!

Pro is not my cup of tea...

(No offence to any pro youngster owners)

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
i know of one very good pro foal but she is out of a mega mare, however i feel that most of the mares that he seems to get sent are rubbish and not quality enough. i believe ppl use pro as they dont no much about breeding and because Carl rides him so they think he must be a superstar.
Ilike proset but i do belive he is prob a better stallion to iuse on event mares

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
We have one at our yard a 4yr old I only have a photo of him as a foal
Pro20Motion.jpg

His dam
Passagrandetitchesmum.jpg

He is a good 17hh & has a lovely nature, though can be a bit stressy in the stable, though he is still a baby.

_jetset_

Visit site
Gosh he looks a lot like Troy Magic104...

I didn't chose Pro-Set because Carl Hester rides him, although I can understand why some people do that. My mare (IDxTB) is nothing particular fantastic but she was competing at Elementary, has very straight correct paces and a wonderful trainable temperment.

This is her in Sept when she was 6 months in foal:
HannahSeptember2006010.jpg

I looked around for quite a while before choosing a stallion. Because Hannah is quite big boned (bless her) I wanted something to fine her out a bit. I initially looked at a few TBs, but nothing impressed me enough to make me go 'wow'. I had a short list ranging in prices (from Gribaldi to a young stallion called Tyson who I saw out competing) and then a friend and I went to Your Horse Live.

We were watching the Carl Hester demo there and he came out on a very hot bay horse (we were a bit late so didn't catch the intros)... the more I watched this horse, the more I liked him. He was fine for a WB, exactly what I was looking for. I turned to my friend and said, "God, if he was a stallion he would be THE one for me!"

At the end Carl reiterated a few facts, then mentioned something about riding the STALLION! I was so excited, booked Han in asap and that is how we ended up with Troy...

BBmat... Although I don't think everything is in the breeding (you get some fantastically bred horses that are just nothing special) I do think you give yourself an advantage by using one with good breeding. I liked that Pro-Set had Flemmingh in his lines (one of my short list
wink.gif
) but when I was using him there were no progeny under saddle whereas I believe they are now???

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks severnmiles... I love the big bird to bits and I do think she has a lot more to offer yet. She was doing really well unaffil elementary, so I am hoping to affiliate her when she comes back into work. My riding has changed so much since I started having Jo Graham with Grace, so we will have to see how Han reacts to that as I think I used to let her get away with too much
smile.gif

She is a nice looking type, but she is certainly not your flashy WB type of mare
blush.gif

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
IMO they seem to be very beautiful and flashy when they are born, and they then grow into very ordinary horses... there are exceptions though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with you - the ones ive seen have been flashy at birth and then turned into nothing special.......

But special can come with training aswell - Bloss had nothing special at all when i got her, but with good training she proved to be worth her weight in gold. Paces can always be improved.

_jetset_

Visit site
I have to say, I am getting a bit worried about whether I made the right choice with Pro, but I have Troy and completely adore him. He can always become a pet I suppose if he doesn't have the ability.

He is quite flashy and has a good hock action, but as others have said on this post, this seems to amount to nothing once they are older
frown.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
I really wouldn't worry, Troy is lovely and even if he doesn't make a dressage horse it seems Pro progeny do inherit some form of ability
wink.gif
even if it is for eventing
tongue.gif

Anyway you should be very proud of Troy, I think hes gorgeous
grin.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Yes, the owner of the two Pros I mentioned produced youngsters upto Int and her husband rides to 3* and she thought alot of them for eventing!

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Enjoy your foal becki he looks lovely. We have a cracking Proset foal who is also very straight to handle who oozes presence. I think we all get a little too obsessed with the breeding sometimes when horses are what we make them. With correct handling and training even the most average moving horse can look fab.

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
becki2003, troy will probably (hopefully) turnout to be a trainable horse which will compete to a respectable level.

there are very few horses which will go to grand prix and a stallion can only do so much the mare gives 60% to the foal

_jetset_

Visit site
I think it is such a big decision to make, which stallion to choose and then once the foal has arrived the worry does not end there
smile.gif

I have dreams of getting in top hat and tails and I am a pretty determined character (if you hadn't already guessed that
laugh.gif
), and I did hope Troy would be the one I could do it with and learn with. So we will have to wait and see... he does have a lovely movement and conformation at the moment, and as bbmat has said, a lot is down to the training as well as the breeding.

I very much admire Carol Parsons as she has shown how much can be achieved with the right training. I think Giddy is just lovely, a real credit to her!

I have been having a bit of a stressful week so I think I was being very silly panicking about Troy when he has another three years to grow into himself and develop before I start to worry. He is a powerful little bugger though, when he back legs move, god do the move and I only just about manage to hang on to him
laugh.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
i have seen a few youngsters by him.
i did look at him for my mare but decided against him as he hasnt really proven himself as a successful dressage sire and i wanted something that had and competed international ;level.
im sure troy will grow up to be a lovely horse and able to compete at a decent level.