does anyone know what I can use to stop flies

crabbymare

Visit site
yes its early! but before they come out for the summer does anyone have any reccomendations for a cream or something I can put on the dogs ears to stop flies biting the ends of them please? in summer she has the tips of her ears eaten by the flies and I have not found anything that works to stop them :(

kamili

Visit site
I used a homemade mixture of vinegar and lemon juice that i just mix up in a bucket and sponged on. Smells like a chip shop but worked a treat.

I've also used something called Neem Oil (stinks like garlic and peanut butter mixed) natural anti fungal/bachterial and helps hair grow back. It comes in a tub and is solid but melts to an oil at room temperature.

Its foul smelling though but worked amazingly on a friend's horse that had sweet itch.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
please patch test with neem-both horses and dogs can react badly to it. it is quite effective though. Has she got hairy ears? one of the best things is a smidge of sudocreme-gets a bit messy though.

crabbymare

Visit site
thanks for the ideas. sadly keeping her inside would not go down well and she is an outside dog so it is very rare that she comes in the house. yes she has hairy ears so I will get a tiny bit of neem from someone I think uses it and do a test of it soon and will also mix up some citronella or vinegar and lemon and use that on her coat to try and put them off going nera her :)

druid

Visit site
Scalibor collars repel all biting flies - my lurcher wears one all summer as he hates flies

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Use Avon Skin so Soft mixed with neem, tea tree, eucalyptus, citronella, dettol, water in a spray. Works fabulously on the horse.