Does anyone know where to buy a Mule from?

Little Squirrel

Visit site
Hello everyone. I really want a mule and can't seem to find any for sale in the UK. I just wondered if anyone knew who sells them. I want one because although I have my "working" horses I don't have anything just to play about with and have always loved the idea of having a mule, a big western saddle and hitting the road. As the summer's coming now and all of mine are going out for holidays I have been trying to find a mule without any luck. Some gorgeous one's in the states but I aint going over there for one!! That would be one expensive ass:D If anyone can help that would be great. I am being very serious btw.

I also knew a guy who wanted to break a bull and ride it about so must be something in the water around here!!

Capriole

Visit site
theres a lady on here called jinglejoys(or jinglejoy), she has a mule/mules and seems to be heavily into them, maybe pm her if she doesnt see this thread?

Little Squirrel

Visit site
He is gorgeous but I think I might squash him! can't see him growing big enough. I have just looked at loads on US websites I'm in a huff now cause they have so many nice ones. They even have showjumping ones! Do you think I could register one with the BSJA?:D Imagine all the funny looks!

bobreader

www.bob-reader.webs.com
Good luck finding a mule, I hve been looking for over a year here in France to find the right one. Remember to buy one who's father was the donkey and not the other way round.
Once again good luck and if you find more than one pm me !
Bob
:D

jinglejoys

Visit site
There's one or two been on Mulesuk "Too much Donkey for horse people,too much horse for donkey people...you've got to be a MULE person" I bought my boys in from Spain
loveyoumum001.jpg

PicassoatMalvernAutumnShow11-1.jpg

rhino

Visit site

Beatrice5

Visit site
Oh now they are CUTE. So if Dad is a Donkey mum is a horse is it a Mule and if Dad is a horse and Mum a donkey it's an Ass or is it a jennet? Or am totally away with the fairies?

lazybee

Visit site
Hello, If you're looking for a REAL mule for working my neighbour is a breeder here in France. He breeds Poitou mules using Baudet de Poitou and Percheron. He's exported all around the world. If this sounds like the sort of thing you'd be interested in, you can send me a PM.

debsg

Visit site
Funny that - I was only saying to my friend on Thursday that I would love a mule. Her brother breeds miniature donks (think they come from the states) and OMG! when his foal, we go up for a visit, and those babies are the CUTEST things I've EVER seen :D
I can remember seeing a guy doing dressage with a grey mule, a few years back, I think he was involved with Parelli. Older chap with long grey hair??
Are Poitou's the really huge ones, about 16hh?
Anyway, I would love a mule! Not sure Blaze would agree as she is terrified of donks! Last week we rode to my friend's brother's place and let Blaze watch the donkeys through the hedge. She shook with terror and did several 'cracking' snorts :D :D then did a wonderful Totilas-style piaffe up the road to get away! Haha - maybe I could do fancy dressage with my fat cob! Just chase her with a donkey and watch her passage and extended trot :D
Are mules different in temperament to Hinnies? Where can I find out more about them, Jinglejoys? Many thanks xx PS Love your pics!

jinglejoys

Visit site
An Ass is another name for a donkey as is moke.A jennet is sometimes the Irish word for a female donkey and a Hinney is a mule with a horse sire.
The grey mule talked about is one of Adrien Heinens mules
AdrienHeininclinic08065.jpg

AdrienHeininclinic08005.jpg

Mules don't have to have poiteu in them to be big some of the largest are Belgian Draft mules bred by American Mammoths(there are some in the UK) and the Brazilians breed some beauties using a 12hh donkey
Susannah Powel in Pembrokesouth Wales breeds logging mules and has a yearling for sale but I'm not sure what the breeding is(It'll be big though)
It depends whether you want a Draught mule,racing mule,quarter horse mule,endurance mule..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxiNFMVK5Zs&feature=related

Little Squirrel

Visit site
Thank You for all the reply's. I never knew there were so many Mule fan's about! I will take my time to look through all the links and hopefully find a muley partner! I was watching some Youtube video's last night of some mules coming down cliff's, they really are incredible animals!

ZoeRPM

Visit site
Hello everyone. I really want a mule and can't seem to find any for sale in the UK. I just wondered if anyone knew who sells them. I want one because although I have my "working" horses I don't have anything just to play about with and have always loved the idea of having a mule, a big western saddle and hitting the road. As the summer's coming now and all of mine are going out for holidays I have been trying to find a mule without any luck. Some gorgeous one's in the states but I aint going over there for one!! That would be one expensive ass:D If anyone can help that would be great. I am being very serious btw.

I also knew a guy who wanted to break a bull and ride it about so must be something in the water around here!!

I don't understand why people in nothern Europe so undervalue mules nowadays. You are going to have a serious problem finding one of a decent size for showjumping or dressage (the best starting point for that would be the Poitou breed society, whose young mules are advertised on line in the Cavalog (http://www.cavalog.com). If you contacted some of the breeders directly you might also be able to persuade them to part with an older mule but beware of any that have been worked for too long on the road as they will only drive on the right!

For smaller mules (most of which will be 'accidents' and probably not very well put together) try the animal sanctuaries. I would suggest starting with the RSPCA and Blue Cross as well as the Donkey Sanctuary. The latter normally only allow their animals to go out in twos but if you already have a pony or a donkey for company, it's likely that they will let you foster a single mule.

For professional advice once you have a mule, contact Meredith Hodges at Lucky Three Ranch www.luckythreeranch.com.

I've ridden a mule and for a couple of year used to ride what I think was a large (14.3hh) hinny. He was never referred to as a mule or a hinny but his large ears, sticking-up mane and very docile nature led me to think that he was some kind of hybrid. Since he never brayed, it was likely that he was a hinny.

Cavalrymule

New User
Visit site
Hello! I know it has been a couple of years, but any luck getting a mule? I am now looking and would not mind to get some help, I live in Berkshire (UK) and would be interested on a riding mule around 16hh.
Thanks