Does anyone meet their children from school with the childs pony

Sarah04

Visit site
As the title says . I'm moving 2 of my ponies to a new yard this week and it's closer to my children's school so thought it would be nice to meet them and let them ride back . Also the pony has a trap but when I looked at the access it won't fit through the kiss gate from the playing field so may have to figure out the other route! Just thought it would be good excersise for pony too

Ormsweird

Visit site
Our pony is kept in the same village as the kiddo goes to school. She keeps asking to ride home on him. Have not as yet said yes!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Omg....my friends mum used to do this, we would share the ride, half way each... That was in the 1960's I remember it was a black fell pony, and it only had a felt pad and a roller on its back... I was 5/6 years old and after a summer of riding with my friend I was hooked on horses...

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Yes I was one of the crazy Mums back in the 70's who used to lead my boy's ponys off my horse to the school and then they would ride home, not far only across the common and a short bit further home. But they loved it and so did I. Not sure I would risk it now with country lanes being the deathtraps they are.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I have picked my son up twice on his pony. His birthday tends to coincide with the start of term so I trailer his pony to my friends field and lead her to school. I take his jods, boots and hat with me for him to put on.

It is rather nice and he loves seeing her there too.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My brother and I used to ride bareback to school, pop them in the field next door and ride home in the afternoon. This was in the 60's. And I wore a skirt.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I haven't but I am going to do it. There's a bad road between us and school but the ponies are going to another field over the winter which avoids the worse bit of road so I am going to do it some day because she will love it.

Nicnac

Visit site
A friend of mine does frequently. Pony has tendency to be a bit porky so a brisk walk with the dogs keeps him trim and happy son on way home.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was always going to as when my daughter was in primary school our yard was literally down the road. I was worried I may look a bit show offy! Also it was so crazy busy I didn't want to get in people's way!

Kafairia

Visit site
Not a mother, but there's a good ten years between me and my younger sister, so if I've got the day off, I'll take her miniature into school and pick her up. Pony is oblivious at all the children and thinks " OMG all this yummy GRASS !! " so it works out well.

When she moves onto my first pony, I'll be taking him to meet her too, because why not? :p

Sarah04

Visit site
I'm lucky where the ponies are moving to as it's a farm on a hill so we have to walk down a long drive then we are at the playing field then school . I need to get the poor shetland fit first otherwise he might not make it back up the hill!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
My Mum used to collect me from school with my pony back in the 60's.

She was in no way horsey, how she managed to tack him up I'll never know as he wasn't easy. He had terrible sweetitch and used to stop to rub his tail on a certain telegraph pole on the way home, it would take us both ages to get him going again.

Years later on a visit home I walked to the village and stopped by the telegraph pole and yep, it was still loose where the pony had rubbed on it so hard.

Kafairia

Visit site
My Mum used to collect me from school with my pony back in the 60's.

She was in no way horsey, how she managed to tack him up I'll never know as he wasn't easy. He had terrible sweetitch and used to stop to rub his tail on a certain telegraph pole on the way home, it would take us both ages to get him going again.

Years later on a visit home I walked to the village and stopped by the telegraph pole and yep, it was still loose where the pony had rubbed on it so hard.

This got a giggle out of me I must say. :,)

Reminds me of a story my grandfather told me, years ago they lived in a small town, and they would frequently have power cuts on and off, on and off. After doing many works and maintenance on the power lines etc, the electrical company found out it was actually a cow in a field on the outskirts of the town giving its bum a good old scratch on the pole. :p

spacefaer

Visit site
My mother used to pick me up from school on a Thursday evening with pony in trailer and my clothes in the car. We went evening showjumping at Gracelands and then home for supper!

I remember the difficulty of trying to get into my jodhpurs while my mother was driving.

chillipup

Visit site
I went to an all girls grammar school and a friend used to keep her pony on land behind the school. We would often ride, in our school uniforms, during our lunch hour (no trousers for girls in those days).

If any parent had turned up at my school with their kid's pony to hack home, I would have had even more ammo to add to my reasoning as to why it was imperative my parents buy me my own ponio. Unfortunately they never did, but probably why I've remained a pony mad kid (in my head anyway)

Booboos

Visit site
I would consider the following:
- will you be using any roads that are likely to be busy with the school run? The roads to our village school are abandoned all day long but become quite dangerous for brief periods twice a day as various silly parents rush to and from school with no regard for anyone else.
- how will the pony react if loads of loud and excited children run up to it?
- can you do drop offs and picks up with a pony, e.g. at our school younger children have to be walked into class, teachers call parents in for a quick chat, etc.

Sarah04

Visit site
I'll get one of my friends to bring my son down and i'll wait somewhere safe and quiet where loads of children won't run up to him and startle him. Because its a small village most children get picked up in cars. He's pretty good really we often have a lot of kids at our farm, mainly loud boisterous boys and he's done showing , driving etc so he is a pretty chilled out pony. I was thinkin about using him as a therapy pony so it will maybe give me an idea if he's up to it.

Sarah04

Visit site
I would consider the following:
- will you be using any roads that are likely to be busy with the school run? The roads to our village school are abandoned all day long but become quite dangerous for brief periods twice a day as various silly parents rush to and from school with no regard for anyone else.
- how will the pony react if loads of loud and excited children run up to it?
- can you do drop offs and picks up with a pony, e.g. at our school younger children have to be walked into class, teachers call parents in for a quick chat, etc.

I won't have time in a morning to take pony we are always late as it is 😁we won't be going on any roads as the farm is almost opposite the track to school ☺

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Actually if in trailers/lorries counts then yes!
Everyone parks in the Countrywide car park after school to collect as the actual school has no parking and there's always boxes waiting for "riders"

w1bbler

Visit site
I used to work at a riding stable. When it wasnt busy & horses needed exercise I would meet the owner's kids from school. We could go for a good old gallop home (was on dartmoor). 3 horses exercised & so much more fun than ride & lead

Carlosmum

Visit site
Occasionally I would pick A up with the pony from infant school. Would have done it more often but our drive runs 1/2 mile in the opposite direction to the school, so i would always be going in the wrong direction! Mind you that was in the 90's, with traffic as it is now, even through the village I don't think Id do it anymore.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Mum used to pick me up from primary in the 80s with my pony - I used to wear my jodh's to school :eek: :p
Also used to get regularly picked up in the lorry while at secondary especially on a Thursday night for the drive to the show for the weekend if it was a long way away or to go evening jumping :)

touchstone

Visit site
I did it a few times with my daughter, I wouldn't do it nowadays though, there's sadly too much risk from an over excited child being stood on, squashed, bitten or kicked and with the blame culture it would be a nightmare. The roads are far different nowadays too.

My dad once visited when I was a child with my pony in a trailer, I can remember the kids swarming like bees round a honeypot, the pony behaved impeccably, but my poor dad was a nervous wreck!