Does anyone on here ride in Bedgebury Forest

SpruceRI

Visit site
I am considering joining 'TROT' so I can ride in Bedgebury Forest, but am a little concerned about being chased by hoards of loose dogs, being spooked by speeding cyclists and having my trailer nicked when I park up. (I would be riding there alone)

Years ago a few friends got a Bedgebury permit each and all of the above happened, plus they got flashed at!

I have had some concerning incidents on the Ashdown Forest in the last couple of years too, hence thinking of not renewing my permit there after 10yrs +

I enjoy going on long rides off road though and I know I will miss AF....

What is Bedgebury like for riders these days?

Thanks

nicelittle

Visit site
Hi,
I'm not sure what Bedgebury would be like on a horse, having only cycled there. However I was dissapointed to realise that you can't buy a 'day ticket' to go there occassionally.

I have given up with AF as its sooo expensive and the tracks are not maintaned, you have to be really careful where you canter with all the ruts.

However, I like the South Downs, you can park at Bo Peep or Firle. Miles of free riding!

wipeout

Visit site
When you join TROT you get keys for the secure box park. It is only for TROT members to use. I haven't had any issues there, my trailer locks to my car though.

It's no worse than anywhere else for dogs, kids etc but I wouldn't recommend it on a bike phobic horse the mountain bikers all seem to have very screechy brakes!

HollyB66

Visit site
I've been there several times and not been chased by any dogs, but like wipeout says, you're no more likely there than anywhere else. Just be mindful of the mountain bike 'routes' and be careful when passing the entrances/exits that cross the main tracks that you ride on.

If you do join Trot you could also go to Hemsted Forest (not far from Bedgebury), this is quieter than Bedgebury.

0310Star

Visit site
I rode around there about a year ago as I am only 10 minutes from there. I found it a very nice ride although in the summer (this was when I went) there are lots of cyclists, children, dogs, so on a spooky horse it isn't maybe the best place to go.
I must admit though that after looking into the TROT membership a few months ago I found it quite unrealistic in the way of prices. Yes I have bedgebury and Hempstead forest both a close drive away, but for the cost of the membership for me it just wasn't worthwhile as i dont have a box and can only catch lifts if people are going that i know. I agree that money has to be spent to maintain certain places, but having only 1 route within hacking distance (not safe hacking distance but doable maybe on a quiet day like a Sunday and about 45 minutes hack minimum) they weren't all that accommodating after speaking to them via email. It seems that someone living with, for example, 5 fantastic TROT rides within close and safe proximity would have the same charges as somebody like myself who would only be able to use it once or twice a year. I think they would get a lot more members if they re-assessed this. I myself would definitely join if they offered a membership for people who can only use them every so often.

Sorry for the rant but I just couldn't help myself :)

Nicnac

Visit site
PM Delicious_D on here as she stables at Bedgebury.

I rode there about 5 years ago - think I had to pay about £10 FC fee in addition to TROT.

Lovely place, but too far from me to make it a regular thing. Never had any trouble with bikes, kids, dogs etc.

Sad to hear about AF riding as looking for a house in the area because thought hacking was amazing :(

HollyB66

Visit site
I did the EGB Ashdown Forest Pleasure Ride in August 2012, I thought the tracks were lovely.

The permit is expensive though if you can only get there occasionally. The day permit has to be purchased in advance, so if the weather is rough, you've done your money ;)

SpruceRI

Visit site
I rode around there about a year ago as I am only 10 minutes from there. I found it a very nice ride although in the summer (this was when I went) there are lots of cyclists, children, dogs, so on a spooky horse it isn't maybe the best place to go.
I must admit though that after looking into the TROT membership a few months ago I found it quite unrealistic in the way of prices. Yes I have bedgebury and Hempstead forest both a close drive away, but for the cost of the membership for me it just wasn't worthwhile as i dont have a box and can only catch lifts if people are going that i know. I agree that money has to be spent to maintain certain places, but having only 1 route within hacking distance (not safe hacking distance but doable maybe on a quiet day like a Sunday and about 45 minutes hack minimum) they weren't all that accommodating after speaking to them via email. It seems that someone living with, for example, 5 fantastic TROT rides within close and safe proximity would have the same charges as somebody like myself who would only be able to use it once or twice a year. I think they would get a lot more members if they re-assessed this. I myself would definitely join if they offered a membership for people who can only use them every so often.

Sorry for the rant but I just couldn't help myself :)

I am in the same situation in that I can't hack to any of these places, I will have to trailer over. I suppose Bedgebury will take me about half an hour to get to, a little bit further than Ashdown Forest.

I think that it is probably too spooky a place for Rosie my pony. We don't have to contend with bikes on the Ashdown Forest but she does get very spooked by dogs popping out of bushes, and is terrified if they run towards us or worse take chase. It is not that she isn't used to dogs as my YO has 2 lovely yappy terriers. But they yap at each other, not at her!

Where is Hempstead Forest? I thought I'd passed that in Benenden/Biddenden area??

TROT is still cheaper than the Ashdown Forest!!

HollyB66

Visit site
Baker190 did you explore the possibility of the 'reduced rate' (£83pa or £8pm) due to no route within 'safe hacking distance'?

Taken from TROT website:

1. Full Rate (Private Land/Farm and Forestry Combined)

The Full Rate entitles you to ride on all TROT routes including all private land/farms and forestry. If your main route is within a safe hacking distance from where you horse is stable, i.e., within around 15 minutes on safe and quiet roads, and/or the route is 4 or more miles long (if you are unsure of this please contact the TROT office on 01622 735599) then you will be a Full Rate member.

2. Reduced Rate (Private Land/Farm and Forestry Combined)

The Reduced Rate entitles you to ride on all TROT routes including all private land and forestry. If your main route is not within a safe hacking distance from where your horse is stabled, and/or you need to box to the route, and/or the route is less than 4 miles long (if you are unsure of this please contact the TROT office on 01622 735599) then you will be on a Reduced Rate (sometimes known as a Boxing Rate).

SpruceRI

Visit site
I did the EGB Ashdown Forest Pleasure Ride in August 2012, I thought the tracks were lovely.

The permit is expensive though if you can only get there occasionally. The day permit has to be purchased in advance, so if the weather is rough, you've done your money ;)

Indeed.

The day permit is a rip-off at £20. My friend had exactly that problem with purchasing a day ticket, on the day we were going for our ride it snowed, so she rang the Forest Centre and they told her to return the laminated day permit, choose another day she wanted to ride and they'd send her another one....

The same thing happened again, so she was told to just ride on a day of her choosing without the day permit as the posting back and forth was expensive - we rode, got 'caught' by a mounted ranger... my friend was exceedingly peed off at being ticked off even when she'd paid for the bloomin ride!!

Another thing - if you get caught riding without a permit badge on your horses' bridle you're told that if you fall off your horse and it runs off, they can't catch and identify it (fair enough) - but the day permits are a piece of A5 ish laminated paper that you keep in your pocket. So where's the sense in that? (That's my rant of the evening!! ;) )

0310Star

Visit site
Hempstead forest is around the benenden area, you are right :)

HollyB66, I emailed TROT and spoke to somebody there and after explaining my situation they still didn't have too much to offer, nothing that was worth my while to be honest!
Luckily my yard is behind sissinghurst castle, which means I can hack around their bridle paths got free :)

JustWilliam

Visit site
I am a member of TROT & ride in both Hempsted forest & Bedgebury. The main tracks are better in Bedgebury as Hempsted does get quite boggy& wet this time of year but I would say Hempsted is much quieter especially during the week. Both have secure carparks, my friend & I regularly take our trailers during the summer & have never had any trouble. Its much safer than hacking on the roads anyway!

SpruceRI

Visit site
PM Delicious_D on here as she stables at Bedgebury.

I rode there about 5 years ago - think I had to pay about £10 FC fee in addition to TROT.

Lovely place, but too far from me to make it a regular thing. Never had any trouble with bikes, kids, dogs etc.

Sad to hear about AF riding as looking for a house in the area because thought hacking was amazing :(

The hacking IS amazing on the AF Nicnac.... but I have stopped riding there alone more or less as have had a couple of scary 'incidents' with strange men, and there are more and more uncontrolled dogs.

I have had a permit for the forest for 16yrs. In the days when I had a lot more energy I used to go up at the weekends and 2 evenings a week after work in the summer, would see the odd dog walker out on a stroll and have a blissful ride. But then I stopped doing the evening rides after the actions of one or more strange persons (I was with a friend that time and 2 things happened on the same ride, one was horrible but funny and the other, spooked not only the horses, but us).

The 2nd incident in 2012, I was riding on the forest on my own during the day, and whilst it would seem a bit pathetic if I explained what happened, it spooked me again, and I have to say, has rather put me off riding there on my own.

Up until a month ago I had a friend who kept her horse on the forest, so I could park at her place and hack with her - but she's moved.

The other friend I meet up there for rides doesn't think she'll buy a permit next year as she's hardly used the current one.

So I don't think I will either.

I am sad about it in truth - but I feel unsafe.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I am a member of TROT & ride in both Hempsted forest & Bedgebury. The main tracks are better in Bedgebury as Hempsted does get quite boggy& wet this time of year but I would say Hempsted is much quieter especially during the week. Both have secure carparks, my friend & I regularly take our trailers during the summer & have never had any trouble. Its much safer than hacking on the roads anyway!

You're right, anywhere is better than on the roads!!

[59668]

Visit site
I used to be stabled at bedgebury and the hacking in the forest is ok. There are a lot of bikes and loud screaming kids. Gets worse in summer. Its ok but not all its cracked up to be Tbh.

biggingerpony

Visit site
Hi I don't ride in Bedgebury but I live about 15mins hacking distance away from Hemsted :) its lovely and quiet with well maintained tracks. I bought the gold forestry permit only through trot and it was £75 + refundable £15 for hat band deposit. This gives you access to all FC land. (Even though I don't have any transport and couldn't get anywhere else anyway!)

I'm always looking for hacking buddies so feel free to PM me if you want :)

misterjinglejay

Visit site
I've ridden and dog walked on AF and Bedgebury - both lovely, although you do get a lot of lose dogs in Bedgebury with no owners in sight. There's a lot of cyclists too, and also first thing in the morning and last thing at night, husky (and my mal team :) )train there.

Hemstead has a bad local reputation for theives and other unsavoury characters - a friend got flashed there, and another had her car windows broken.

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

Does anyone know what the car park is like at Hemsted. Do you have to have a key to get in? I am a TROT member but would like to go this weekend so if you need a key that would rule it out.

Thanks
Tegan

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
Just bumping this old thread up I found via Google. Does anyone have any recent experience of Bedgebury? I have heard you can park down Park Lane and use the bridlepaths for free. Is that true?