Does anyone on here Team chase???

AandK

Visit site
No, you're not crazy!!

I did a Team Chase last Oct (Grafton - step up class) with my eventer and it was awesome fun! I would love to do it again sometime but the team I rode with last year (I stood in for a rider) are 'off games' at the moment :( I tried to get a team together to go again but got some odd looks from other horsey friends! ;)

Kal

Visit site
I actually thought about it too (I am going crazy). Only problem is i don't think i'd be able to hold Charlie and it might become dangerous.

Even out hacking, i either have to stay in front to stop him bucking or stay well behind, so not to set others off and just put up with him bucking.

You saw how loopy he was at Hickstead and Keysoe. He's fine on his own but not sure with others.

Oh and i think you should go for it :D

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Lol kal, Charlie obviously doesn't need more excitement in his life!!!

AandK I'm going to be entered in the graften novice!!! I'm a bit soft with my mare but u only live once so I'm going to give it a go she will be ace!

BeckyD

Visit site
I've always wanted to do it - since I was invited to join a team as a teenager but couldn't as Cass went lame forever - it was one the reasons I bought a TB when I bought Ronnie. I've gone off the idea a bit since, too worried about injuring horse! But, a guy at my yard is thinking of putting a Novice team together and I've said I am interested. He's as paranoid about horse injury as I am so I think we'd be a sedate team :)

ironhorse

Visit site
Becky D- there are plenty of sedate teams! In fact events always have a novice bogey time class where you will not get placed if you go too fast!

Lui - you will have a fabulous time in the Grafton novice! It's not too big and is really well built.

Kal - lots of teams would love to have a lead horse! If you go on the team chasing website and join the forums, just explain that you have to go in front and you should be inundated with offers (as long as he is a reliable jumper that is!)

Anyone who is tempted go to www.teamchasing.co.uk and have a look at the pics; if there's an event you fancy doing have a look on the course walks, most have pics of the typical fences. Look on the forums for people who are seeking team members - they are the friendliest and most welcoming bunch.

Come and join us - it's great fun and not necessarily crazy (OK the open teams are probably crazy but they are fabulous for us mere mortals to watch :D )

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It is the bestest fun :eek::D

Only advice I have is to try and make sure you are on the same wavelength as your team mates so you either go for the craic or you go to win kind of thing. I did a lot in England and really enjoyed it, but wouldn't have been in any of the kamikaze teams you see in opens.

Over here they don't team chase but they do have some team classes in HTs, and I did foolishly agree to fill in for someone who'd smashed her teeth in the week before and ride with her otherwise all male team. I had a lovely time but I was a long way behind them :rolleyes::eek: Deathwish I do not have!:D

becca1305

Visit site
I did one for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was good fun to go round with other riders :) but I did a PC intermediate and found the course a bit small and boring tbh without anything to challenge so I really doubt you would have any issues with a novice PC (I dont know how this translates to RC levels). I think it does hugely depend on the team 2 of our members were friends of a friend and the lead horse went SO slow and occasionally rattled fences that it actually put my mare off as she had to suddenly drop to the trot before a fence sometimes if she went even slower! She also jumped erratically and even if she took off at one side without swerving randomly beforehand she rarely jumped straight so couldnt jump alongside her *sigh*. So the point being remember when you part of a team what you do affects the person behind you ! was really silly but I kept comparing it to when I ride out with the guys on motorbikes and we have a formation we go in that kind of rotates and even though we swap places etc everyone is very aware of where the rest of the bikes are so although we are close together we have stopping space :p also just like to a jump on horses, the leading motorbike determines the speed into a corner thats taken.

get a good team that you trust together of a similar competence level and agreements on speed etc and it should be fun :) if you can get a confident responsible and experienced leader thats ideal :). Ive got an mfha novice pairs (bigger than PC novice) with a good friend in a couple of wks which should be great fun and we always agree when walking the course etc so its a good partnership :) and looking forward to trying to do intermediate teams next year.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Go for it, its great fun. We did the Grafton last year and called ourselves the happy slappers :D. We were the oddest looking team, my TB, a 14.2hh pony, a 17hh warmblood and a 16.2hh IDX. I thought my horse would pull my arms out but she loved it. Can't do it this year due to one horse being sold and another being lame so going to do the individual.

Maybe BeckyD and others if you want to make up a team PM me and see what we can do ?? It's a lovely course.

Bicester is on this weekend and it's a brill day out watching especially the open teams, my god those guys a brave - or mental.........

Stormy123456

Visit site
Go for it! It's so much fun! I don't think the sport is advertised enough or gets enough recognition, because it truly it brilliant to ride in, and pretty spectacular to watch too, especially the Intermediates and Opens!

I've done it every year since I was 12 (19 now), and have done both Novice and Inter. The bogey times in Novice help keep things on a more sensible level, but the fastest time is amazing! I've lead round the biggest Inters on my eventer, which she loves, and it has never had any adverse effects on anything apart from being a bit bouncy for a few days after. Next Spring I plan to do my first Open :D

tyson

New User
Visit site
I keep my horse purely for open team chasing and it is the most exciting and fun thing you can do with your horse...IMO!!! The people are brilliant, always friendly, caring and totally up for a good time! Its such a shame there aren't more open teams but I would highly recommend giving it a go!! My horse is an ex 4* horse and I think the open horses are spectacularly brave but most horses will jump round the novices...after all its totally natural to follow their friends! good luck!

posie_honey

Visit site
i used to do it :D on an ex-polo pony PMSL!
had a ball - was the "all comers" classes though - not sure what they are nowdays as that was last... ummm...... millenium! eek! OMG! about 14yes ago :eek: but was about 3'6 from what i remember - did most of the same jumps as open (hedges etc) but not the really nasty ones

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
Yes you are crazy, well not so much for doing novice.
I team chase weekly at intermediate. Its a mad sport, its crazy, its ridiculous. Who would willingly throw themselves over hedges bigger than you and your horse?
But you will LOVE it. that feeling of adrenaline just isn't beaten by eventing. :D
Novice is an optimum time so isn't as fast as the inters and open, but my god the open horses are brave. youll be hooked though :D

orangepony

Visit site
It is the best adrenaline sport where ponies are involved; mad as hatters rider, super brave horses, humongous hedges and the best bunch of organisers you could wish for. It's really under-rated and under-recognised for the great sport that it is; and really provding your horse is happy at 2'9/3' there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to bounce round a novice with your friends for a nice day out :)

Just beware though that once you've done your first one you might suddenly start eyeing the classifieds...finding yourself drawn to anything with the words 'potential teamchaser' in preparation for your Open debut!! :D

ironhorse

Visit site
MFHA rules say not less than 3' 6" - but many courses have hedges that are a lot bigger than that :D Some of the best events such as the Atherstone use natural, well established hedges that have been carefully trimmed year on year and are also extrememy wide :O
You do need a bold, brave horse for opens, but you tend to find that they grow in confidence the more they do.
I've only ever done a couple as a rider - did the Atherstone novice a few years back on a horse that was extremely picky about what he would jump in cold blood but he absolutely adored it and took the hedges on with incredible enthusiasm :)
Best to ask on the team chase forum about specific events or have a look at the course walks www.teamchasing.co.uk

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
We don't really have team chasing up in Scotland. :( However there is one event at the start of the season that does a "Team XC" competition where it is teams of 3 round either a 2'6-2'9 (novice) course or a 3'-3'6 (open) course.

I did it in 2010 with the lovely (and much missed!) _April_ and her friend and we had a blast, although the plan was for my horse to give _April_'s a lead didn't quite work out since she had to be at the front! ;) Photo of us leaving the start and over the first, you can see poor _April_ struggling to hold her horse back already! We gave up after the first few fences, let her go ahead and had to keep stopping/circling to let the poor wee pony catch up as we went round!

DunsTeam2.jpg

DunsHeidi12.jpg

Was a blast. :D Sadly I think it will come around too early for Hopalong and I next year as we are only going to be starting back jumping in Feb/Mar and this was mid-Mar. :( I'd love a go at summat similar again, best option we tend to have is pairs XC but this is only ever around 2'6 courses, never bigger. :(

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Thanks Ironhorse, just looked at the coursewalks for the Novice at the Graften and it looks lovely with a great mix of fences, and some that my mare (and me dont like) so Im sure it will do us the world of good having leads up to drops, and trakhners!!!! We will come out next yr raring to go eventing!!!

marmalade76

Visit site
I used to do some team chasing and loved it, just the best thrill and the people are so friendly.

Personally, I need a horse that is a safe, clean, clever jumper as that's where I got the confidence to do it from, I HAD to trust the horse! Not sure I will ever do it again as I'm a complete wimp over fences now, but sometimes I am tempted.

There's a couple of TC pics in my sig, the hedge one is the Atherstone and the wall the Cotswold.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Great Pics Figjam, I think we are going to go for a practice session, Id hope I dont need to be in front as I worry too much about everyone else, but I defo wont be able to be at the back either!!!!

Lol, I don't think I've ever ridden a XC round before where I spent more time looking behind me than in front of me!!! I was so worried about making sure the wee pony was doing ok (rider was only a teenager), I only really looed in front the check where next jump was, make sure we were still aiming for it and look ahead while actually jumping!! Great fun though, hope you have a blast. :D