Does anyone out there ride will a hip replacement?

Nannon

Visit site
I work in orthopaedic theatres and we do a variety of hips - you were unlucky that the DHS didnt work :( is there any reason your going straight to total hip? We do a variety of "hemi" hips, where the neck of femur is replaced but not the cup/ socket, which apparently gives more mobility and less dislocation - they normally do this for very bad neck of femur breaks.
Regarding recovery, our patients are normally mobilised next day and sent home 3 days later.
Best of luck hope it all goes well for you! :)

welsh1704

Visit site
Looking at the xray and going on what the surgeon said as well neck completely collasping the ball has started to decay too. Think in left with little choice. It happened at about 12.30pm on the sat, my thigh bone was completely unattached from the head. by about 3 cms. It was left like that for until gone 11.30 the next day...thats when i went down to theatre. blood supply wad cut off for around 24 hours. long time xxx

Nannon

Visit site
Oh dear thats not good! At least you can look forward to the future and a new hip now - and as everyone else has said get back riding but do your physio lol we have had a couple of people in theiir 40s who ride come in for their other hip to be done - one competes at BS level I think. As long as you take care with it I think youll be fine :)

welsh1704

Visit site
Yes your right. Just got to talk my partner and surgeon around. already got a great physio lined up through work. been working with her for a while and as well as a physio at work there is a onsite gym and pool. ov swimming is out the question to start with but i am planning to be fit before i ride again. how long should you stay out of the saddle? I thought it was a year! Think i maybe wrong haha xxxthanks again everyone for giving me hope you dont know what that means to me xxxx :)

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I hope it all goes well for you.
Someone I know, in her 30 has had o e hub replaced and having the second one done in March.

Do let it stop you.
Just make sure you are ready and you look after you new hip!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I hope it all goes well for you.
Someone I know, in her 30 has had o e hub replaced and having the second one done in March.

Dont let it stop you.
Just make sure you are ready and you look after you new hip!

sydney

Visit site
Hi, sorry can't comment on riding post new hip (though from other posters it seems very positive) but I'm a student nurse currently on orthopaedics and I've been amazed by the patients recovery time from hip ops etc. Not long before they're up and about, they're all very brave, it's been a privilage to care for them.

Best of luck- you'll be fine!

Faro

Visit site
In endurance riding (and just think then of the long hours in the saddle and how painful that could be if you suffer with your hips) there are numerous riders - of all ages - successfully competing, pain free, having had single or double hip replacements. All of them rave about how it has improved their quality of life and allowed them to ride without pain once again. In fact, I know one British International endurance competitor (competing in rides of up to 160km/100 miles in a day) who is about to leave hospital in the next few days having recently had hip replacement surgery (on both sides) - and who is determined to be back in national and international competition this summer season. (She's one tough cookie - and I know she'll do it!)

kirstyw

Visit site
In endurance riding (and just think then of the long hours in the saddle and how painful that could be if you suffer with your hips) there are numerous riders - of all ages - successfully competing, pain free, having had single or double hip replacements. All of them rave about how it has improved their quality of life and allowed them to ride without pain once again. In fact, I know one British International endurance competitor (competing in rides of up to 160km/100 miles in a day) who is about to leave hospital in the next few days having recently had hip replacement surgery (on both sides) - and who is determined to be back in national and international competition this summer season. (She's one tough cookie - and I know she'll do it!)

Hi only just seen this post and thought I ought to reply. I'm the lady Faro is refering to above and can honestly say having my hips replaced is the best thing I have ever done. I'm 42 years old and had severe osteoarthritis in both hips. By the end of the last competitive season I could hardly walk and was reliant on a cocktail of painkillers. On the 15th of October I did my last competition in Belgium of 120km and was in agony for all the ride and had to be lifted on and off the horse. 6 days later I had my first hip replacement and was back driving 3 weeks later. 6 weeks after the first op on the 2nd December I had the other one done, the op went well but sadly when I came home I picked up a very nasty dose of flu that wiped out my immune system and subsequently I ended up back in hospital with severe sepsis. I sadly had to have 2 wash outs and one partial revision of my new hip. The last of these was on the 19th December. I spent Xmas and New year in hospital on IV antibiotics and eventually came out of hospital after 5 weeks. My Consultant has been fantastic (even let me escape overnight to go to london to the british breeders awards dinner) and ever since new year his favourite phrase to the Physios has been " are we back on target" I have been 100% dedicated to getting myself fit and whilst in hospital I did prolonged sessions of hydro every day plus land based physio and have continued it when I got home and spent hours in the gym building up my strength. It hasn't been easy due to the fact that I have been fighting the sepsis and the damage it did to my leg and the rest of my body, I finish the antibiotics this weekend and will pray the infection doesn't come back. 12 days ago I saw the consultant and he was so impressed with my fitness that he said I could ride again 9 weeks 4 days after my revision op. he sat there and said "when do you want to ride" I obviously said asap and he said well go home and ride then. I obviously have to be very careful getting on and off to avoid dislocating the hip. That day I did 8km, the next 16km and the next a 15km competition, last weekend I rode 32km on Saturday, 24km of which was on Exmoor and this Sunday I'm doing 45km. My first International ride of the season is in 2 weeks a FEI 1 star of 80km and hopefully 20 days later I will be doing 160km in a day. My consultant has been behind me all the way the target right from the start has been the first FEI ride of the season so yes we are back on target despite the major blip. So anyone thinking of having it done it is worth it, my complications were unlucky and nobodys fault just bad luck
Kirsty

marestare

Visit site
Yep - been riding with one for four years now - It helps me to mount and dismount from the off-side, and I usually walk the last half-mile home when hacking, to loosen myself off. Do need to pop a couple of Tramadol prior to riding sometimes but other than that I'm fine.

Back in the days when I used to listen to consultants' advice, I had one tell me that riding was a definite "no-no" and the other say it would probably help. On questioning it transpired that neither of them actually rode so took it with a pinch of salt.

Really hope you manage to get back in the saddle:)

Technique

The funny farm, where life is beautiful all the ti
Visit site
This has given me some hope. :) I am just starting to ride again and have been diagnosed with hip impingement. This is a spur of bone that digs into the lining of the hip socket. I am waiting for an appointment for keyhole surgery (hopefully) and it had been a bit of a concern taking on a horsey committment that I might not have been able to keep.