Does anyone put a fleece on a soaked horse to help the dry quick

kamili

Visit site
Always :)

Its lovely and sunny here, so hopefully it will blow over your way by tomorrow. (I'm in the east coast of Ireland)

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes, if I get home and he's 'dying' as I expect he will be by now I will put his thermatex on and a rain sheet for an hour and then just his rain sheet over night. Hopefully this will stop the 'dying'!!!

Schollym

Visit site
Damn Rain!!!

Old fashioned way was a pice of sacking stuffed with straw 'thatching the horse', we have a 'dri'rug which look a little bit like towelling for when they have got drenched or after a bath. My daughter bought it,I was sceptical but it is good, Made by Rambo.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Old fashioned way was a pice of sacking stuffed with straw 'thatching the horse', we have a 'dri'rug which look a little bit like towelling for when they have got drenched or after a bath. My daughter bought it,I was sceptical but it is good, Made by Rambo.

My old pony perfected a shake that no matter how I thatched the straw it all fell out.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I'm wondering if there is a type of rug I can put on a soaked horse and leave on over night to help them dry and keep the chill off. I decided not to put my boys fleece on as he was still wet I read there was a danger that he would over heat :/ I left him in rugless last night and this morning he was dry but he felt chilly :S
Is there a specific type of rug I should be using??
British summer time ey!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We got soaked through yesterday whilst trying new saddles with the fitter. I chucked on his thermatex to dry off and then his usual stable rug was thrown on once dry. I'd be reluctant to leave what would invariably end up being a damp rug on overnight as there'd be more risk of chill.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Wasn't it just the worst yesterday!!! not seen rain like it.
Ok so a good drying rug for a hour or so then off with that and either leave rugless or put a stable rug on.
Thanks for the advice!

We got soaked through yesterday whilst trying new saddles with the fitter. I chucked on his thermatex to dry off and then his usual stable rug was thrown on once dry. I'd be reluctant to leave what would invariably end up being a damp rug on overnight as there'd be more risk of chill.

pippixox

Visit site
I mostly just leave them to get wet! but recently it has been quite cool overnight. The over day it was torrential before I made it up in time to rug. I put a fleece on and then a turnout over the top. they were dry underneath by the morning and not too hot

emmy365

New User
Visit site

I have a Rambo dry rug too and I love it - it really seems to dry them quickly and keep them warm even if they are soaked. Also, perfect for bathing dirty grey ponies when it's chilly!

9tails

Visit site
I'm wondering if there is a type of rug I can put on a soaked horse and leave on over night to help them dry and keep the chill off. I decided not to put my boys fleece on as he was still wet I read there was a danger that he would over heat :/ I left him in rugless last night and this morning he was dry but he felt chilly :S
Is there a specific type of rug I should be using??
British summer time ey!

There are plenty made for this reason, I like the Swish Thermocell as they're a bit thinner than the original Thermatex and therefore not as heavy for drying overnight. Thermatex also do a summer weight version. Thermocell and thermatex wick the water off the horse and you will find the rug covered in dew but a dry horse underneath.