Does anyone remember Mawers Farm, Lincoln

LHIS

Visit site
On my occasional trip to my home city I always make a point of driving up Long Leys Road and past where Mawers Farm Riding School used to be. It's now a depot for a skip hire company.
It closed 10+ years ago, maybe even closer to 15+ years.
My sister and I learnt to ride there. Does anyone else in the area remember it? I don't know why it closed, but would love to know what happened to my favourite horses. I don't imagine they're with us anymore, though I hope they were looked after whoever they went to.

Lee morgan

New User
Visit site
On my occasional trip to my home city I always make a point of driving up Long Leys Road and past where Mawers Farm Riding School used to be. It's now a depot for a skip hire company.
It closed 10+ years ago, maybe even closer to 15+ years.
My sister and I learnt to ride there. Does anyone else in the area remember it? I don't know why it closed, but would love to know what happened to my favourite horses. I don't imagine they're with us anymore, though I hope they were looked after whoever they went to.
Yes..it still belongs to Pauline and Ken who now own Kwik skips who are my relatives..Nearly all horse where kept and looked after by Pauline.. In the latter years some died and some went to bransby horse home and was well looked after.. hope this reassures you.. Pauline still works on the site..

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I only there once or twice to see friends, I used to be over the other side at Bakers! ;)

Those were the days, when lessons cost £3 an hour and we spent all day Saturday there then as I got older more time with the riding club and hunting etc. Can't beat the West Common for riding on. Haven't had a horse on there for years, I live outside the city now and keep my horses in the village. :)

LHIS

Visit site
Yes..it still belongs to Pauline and Ken who now own Kwik skips who are my relatives..Nearly all horse where kept and looked after by Pauline.. In the latter years some died and some went to bransby horse home and was well looked after.. hope this reassures you.. Pauline still works on the site..

Oh wow! Thanks for replying. I suppose the majority of the horses and ponies must be dead by now :( Briar (black fell mare) and Rose-Marie (chestnut PBA mare) were my favourites.

TomKat

New User
Visit site
I used to ride at mawers when I was a young girl, I’ve just been looking online to see if it was still open and came across this post.
My favourite horse there was Briony, I still have all the rosettes we won together! Miss the days of that riding school. Now my son is of age to have lessons I’d of loved to have, and even travelled the 2 hour round trip to take him there.

LHIS

Visit site
I remember Briony 💕 such a shame it isn’t open still, I’d love to visit and reminisce. I didn’t have any ‘winner’ rosettes, more ‘well done for trying’ rosettes. 😂