Does anyone ride who has osteoporosis?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Just been diagnosed, as part of investigation into hyperparathryroidism, with osteopenia in a hip and femoral neck, and osteoporosis in spine (L1 to L4).

Having just bought a three year old that I hoped to back next year, and having a four year old who is being backed now, I'm feeling a bit peeved.

Working on doing what I can with vitamins, minerals, and going to the gym three times a week, I'm hoping to reverse the problem. I have no intention of taking the bio drugs.

I bought a body protector last week to wear when being around the horses, including just checking them in the field. We don't have any nasty or bargy ones, but as always with horses one has to be careful, and it means D worries less about me being in the field on my own. I'm hoping that if I stay off any neds until next Spring then the reversal process will be doing its thing. I'll wear an airjacket (HitTwo as it expands outwards) and go steady with no jumping etc., but was wondering what and how other people cope with this issue and horses / riding.

Micropony

Visit site
I am fortunate enough not to be affected but until recently I hacked regularly with a lady who is. She now longer hacks but that's due to the horse's limitations rather than hers although they still have a little leg stretch in the school and few times a week. The horse is in her 30s with arthritis and I think there's something else as well but she's never gone into detail. Until the last couple of years the horse could be a bit of a livewire although she always looked after my friend.

Youngsters would be more of a risk, obviously, but a lot depends on their temperament. For example you'd have had no problems with mine even as a 3yo, but there aren't many young horses I know that I would say the same about...

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you :)

He's a steady lad, so far, though I appreciate that may change. I'll have a friend back him, along with D1 so I can feel involved. I'm also looking at something like the Australian stock saddle rather than English. Maybe by then I'll have managed to reverse it :). The slight older ned I'm currently not so sure about, but I'm also too heavy for him at the mo' so it's academic really.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I don't have osteoporosis but I am older and I do have young horses one of whom I had started and carried on with by myself, he is 6 now. Another I restarted after a 2 year break and she is coming along nicely and I now have a yearling.
I am careful, I don't want to fall off and break anything. I use a cavallo gel out pad for added security in the seat and always a neckstrap. I try to always be calm and so far so good. I am enjoying myself and I feel safe and am now attending a regular jumping clinic albeit small cross poles for my Dales and I.