Does anyone tow with a Dacia Duster?

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
I've read some posts which suggest with the right model and a lightweight trailer it can be done as it has a max towing capacity of 1500 kg although the towing weight would exceed the 85% of kerb-weight guidance.

Does anyone do it though and what are your thoughts on performance?

I currently have a Sandero Stepway and really rate it and am thinking about sorting out some horse transport but don't want to go down the route of having another gas guzzling, expensive to maintain 4x4 again (previously had an xtrail, shogun and Sorento which where all ££££).

Pony is only 500kg max and it would be mostly used for short towing trips (circa 50 mile round trips) once or twice a month to go hacking - so no parking in muddy fields etc.

Lintel

Visit site
I would honestly be terrified to do so.

I much prefer having something with much more tow weight than I need. It really helps with the steep hills.

But that's my opinion- I haven't seen anyone towing with one either.

I towed with my insignia which wasn't a gas guzzler :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I wouldnt-just because its possible on paper doesnt make it advisable in practise. For example, reversing up even a small slope would probably not do your car much good (even if trailer empty) and hills both up and down, cross winds etc would not be safe IMO (I used to tow a single horse in a Cheval mare and foal trailer with a small horse-I was well within what I should have been with an old CRV ie the 85%) and it wasnt fun. I drive a Logan and love it, I've driven several Dusters and they'll all quite underpowered imo.

patseyr

Visit site
Is it a new one you would be looking at? It may be pushing it to its limit, but might be worth getting a view of someone who has one, it would have to be the most powerful engine and 4x4 model to have a chance. I think the new diesel engine gives out 150hp which wouldn't be too bad (think they are a Nissan engine too). I wonder if there is any way dealers would arrange a test drive on tow? They are

Bayracer

Visit site
I used one just for towing about 20 small bales in a little trailer, and although technically that was well under the weight I honestly felt like it was struggling, therefore I wouldn’t feel comfortable towing the weight of a horse and a horse trailer.

fathorselover

Visit site
I think that with a single small horse and something like a Bateson Derby trailer which is I think 675 kilos unladen, downplated to 1500kg, you would be fine as the total weight would only be around 1175kg.

ROG

Visit site
I've read some posts which suggest with the right model and a lightweight trailer it can be done as it has a max towing capacity of 1500 kg although the towing weight would exceed the 85% of kerb-weight guidance.

Does anyone do it though and what are your thoughts on performance?

I currently have a Sandero Stepway and really rate it and am thinking about sorting out some horse transport but don't want to go down the route of having another gas guzzling, expensive to maintain 4x4 again (previously had an xtrail, shogun and Sorento which where all ££££).

Pony is only 500kg max and it would be mostly used for short towing trips (circa 50 mile round trips) once or twice a month to go hacking - so no parking in muddy fields etc.
85% advice is for caravans only

Are you intending to tow with a B licence - no B+E? - if yes then post number 3000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC - link below in my signature will help

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
85% advice is for caravans only

Are you intending to tow with a B licence - no B+E? - if yes then post number 3000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC - link below in my signature will help
I have a b+e license which hopefully makes things easier - just need to find the right car and trailer combo!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have a 14 plate 4 x4 1600 duster. I love it, fab in snow, good mpg, no frills but comfortable enough. However, it is underpowered, slow and don't even think about nipping out of a busy junction, it needs half an hour notice.

It needed 3rd gear to go up Fish Hill on Friday. For me it is an ideal poor mans 4x4 and I would buy another without hesitation, but towing vehicle it isn't. In the snow we had last year it did sail past a stuck range rover, that was satisfying !

springer-tb

Visit site
I tow with a duster and have absolutely no complaints. Weight of trailer and horse is 1250kg and it never gives me cause for concern. It's towed through muddy fields at events and never struggles, I only use the 4X4 when towing off-road - this was what Dacia recommended. It was brilliant in the awful snow last year (not towing!) and I was disappointed to find out that they no longer make a diesel 4X4 model I'm not planning to replace mine any time soon but I would certainly have another one.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I tow with a duster and have absolutely no complaints. Weight of trailer and horse is 1250kg and it never gives me cause for concern. It's towed through muddy fields at events and never struggles, I only use the 4X4 when towing off-road - this was what Dacia recommended. It was brilliant in the awful snow last year (not towing!) and I was disappointed to find out that they no longer make a diesel 4X4 model I'm not planning to replace mine any time soon but I would certainly have another one.

Why arent they making a disiel 4x4 anymore?

springer-tb

Visit site
I believe it has to do with the new emissions levels regulations for diesel cars. Unfortunately I do too many miles for a petrol and the diesel has a higher towing capacity.