Does anyone tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe?

dizz4

Visit site
Sorry to be back on the which car to tow with debate, but does anyone two with a Hyndai Santa Fe, I know the max braked towing weight is 2500 kilos but I am currently towing with a Terracanj which tows 2800 kilos not a lot of difference I am thinking, trailer Bateson Ascot 1000 kilos, 2 horses 1000 kilos I still have 500 spare.... you can't get new Terracans any more so if I wanted to buy a new car would a Santa Fe be an adequate substitute... it does a better mpg... important when it is your only car..

cheers...

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I can't tow (yet! hopefully taking my test in April, eek) but my dad tows with a Hyundai Santa Fe, and he seems to quite like it. Although, we've never had a "proper' 4x4 (Land Rover/Range Rover type) to compare it to, as had a Volvo before. We also have a Bateson Ascot, but haven't towed with 2 in it since having the Santa Fe because think new horse is too heavy unless just towing him and a pony and previous horse wouldn't travel with another...

doodle

Visit site
Boss tows with one. It struggles a bit if taking 2 big horses. I have towed with it and one horse a couple of times and it was nice. Huge boot which is always good!

dizz4

Visit site
thanks for that, I have a welsh D pony about 14 hands and a small thoroughbred about 15 hands, so it should be able to cope I just don't want to be driving on my limits....

ROG

Visit site
I can't tow (yet! hopefully taking my test in April, eek) but my dad tows with a Hyundai Santa Fe, and he seems to quite like it. Although, we've never had a "proper' 4x4 (Land Rover/Range Rover type) to compare it to, as had a Volvo before. We also have a Bateson Ascot, but haven't towed with 2 in it since having the Santa Fe because think new horse is too heavy unless just towing him and a pony and previous horse wouldn't travel with another...

Yes you can tow ! - either with L plates or under B licence towing rules with the right vehicle and trailer

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
ROG, I was struggling to work out if i could tow without taking the test with the combination I have? I worked out all the weights but I still can tell work it out... I don't think I can but I'm not sure!

I know I can drive with L plates but I have to have someone towing legal in the car with me to do that don't I?

ROG

Visit site
ROG, I was struggling to work out if i could tow without taking the test with the combination I have? I worked out all the weights but I still can tell work it out... I don't think I can but I'm not sure!
What is the car GVW ? = second figure from top of the four on the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame OR the 'max permissible mass' on the V5 keepers form

What is the trailer plated MAM ? - the highest figure on the silver weight plate

I know I can drive with L plates but I have to have someone towing legal in the car with me to do that don't I?

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I'm at uni and car and trailer are at my parents, but these are from the car and trailer websites respectively...

I would be towing with a Hyyundai Santa Fe (my parents car).
Kerb weight: 1977kg
Gross vehicle weight: 2600kg
Max tow weight: 2500kg

The trailer is a Bateson Ascot:
Gross weight: 2300kg
Unladen weight: 925kg
Capacity: 1375kg

ROG

Visit site
I'm at uni and car and trailer are at my parents, but these are from the car and trailer websites respectively...

I would be towing with a Hyyundai Santa Fe (my parents car).
Kerb weight: 1977kg
Gross vehicle weight: 2600kg
Max tow weight: 2500kg

The trailer is a Bateson Ascot:
Gross weight: 2300kg
Unladen weight: 925kg
Capacity: 1375kg
Total MAM 2600+2300=4900 so well over the 3500 limit for B licence towing

EmmJay

New User
Visit site
Hi Fizz, just wondering if you ended up buying a Santa Fe? If so how have you found it? I'm now thinking about getting one after struggling to find an affordable 4x4 to replace my Isuzu Trooper. Nothing seems to have a very big towing capacity apart from the Mitsubishi Shogun but I've heard they're quite thirsty and finding a good one in my budget is difficult! I'm towing a bateson deauville which is lightweight but will tow 2 horses on occasion. My trooper is amazing for towing and completely reliable, I know the history from new but the underneath needs work. Otherwise I looked at the vw tiguan escape model but have been warned off them. TIA

dizz4

Visit site
Hi Fizz, just wondering if you ended up buying a Santa Fe? If so how have you found it? I'm now thinking about getting one after struggling to find an affordable 4x4 to replace my Isuzu Trooper. Nothing seems to have a very big towing capacity apart from the Mitsubishi Shogun but I've heard they're quite thirsty and finding a good one in my budget is difficult! I'm towing a bateson deauville which is lightweight but will tow 2 horses on occasion. My trooper is amazing for towing and completely reliable, I know the history from new but the underneath needs work. Otherwise I looked at the vw tiguan escape model but have been warned off them. TIA

Hi no I didn't get a Santa Fe as I don't think it would have enough towing capacity for me, I currently have a Hyundai Terracan which is great but they don't make them any more... what about a VW Toureg or a Ssanyong Rexton...
Good luck

Baileyhoss

Visit site
I have a Santa Fe just now. It's a nice car to drive and not too gutsy on fuel. Prior to that I had the older style Kia Sorento (which was a fantastic towing vehicle). I have also towed with a Discovery, a Landcruiser and Defender.

The Santa Fe is ok for occasional towing. It feels a trailer behind it, especially with two horses so you have to drive carefully. With no low box, the clutch takes a beating when manouvering. It's just a little too light to be a workhorse, but if you are only towing occasionally it does the job adequately.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I am on my second one, mine has a towing limit of 1870, only used for ponies but certainly feels it. Nice car but lacks power. My previous one was better. Agree re clutch as Baileyhoss post.

EmmJay

New User
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll keep a look out for, I've heard good things about the Toureg but there doesn't seem to be many around. Will check them both out.

EmmJay

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I've found one with 2,200kg capacity which in theory would be enough for me but doesn't sound like it works in reality for two. The friends I tow do have 4x4s so could tow when we go together.