Does anyone trick train their horse?

rolsterlady

www.kindphotography.co.uk
I have been trick training my mare for about a year now, just for a bit of fun, and to give her something to do when i don't have time to ride!

We really enjoy it! My mare is such a quick learner and tries so hard to please me (and to get her treat :D).

She has learnt to

-smile/laugh
-hug
-pick up all of her legs individually (and hold them up)
-stand still (away from me) until i ask her to move
-stamp/count
-and is being taught to bow :)

I understand that some people disregard trick training as they want working horses, not circus horses.... but i think it's fun way of keeping my mares brain engaged and giving her something to do!

Does anyone else trick train? if so, what tricks does you horse know? :D

Paris1

Visit site
Thats great. No not personally. The only thing I dont like about so called trick training is teaching horses to rear. So dangerous.

vienna

Visit site
I trick train my horses too. They will learn anything for a carrot and the speed they learn is amazing.
I have taught bow and lie down and an amazing stop from gallop for a treat or bit of corn just on a voice command.

vienna

Visit site
I have had the pleasure of working with a proffessional trainer for a short time who puts on performances at horse of year show and because the so called vice is learned and in control of the horse only sees it as work and does not indulge in it for naughtiness sake.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
No, but a very close friend of mine does. I am keen to teach my horse tricks. (when I get one)

I think Archie may be a little old to start learning tricks. But I wouldn't be suprised! :3

caitlineloise

Visit site
I don't currently but would love to, how did you acheive the above tricks?

I think I'd like to give it a go, I've already taught him to open doors etc. And he taught himself how to un tie his lead rope :rolleyes:

Paris1

Visit site
I have had the pleasure of working with a proffessional trainer for a short time who puts on performances at horse of year show and because the so called vice is learned and in control of the horse only sees it as work and does not indulge in it for naughtiness sake.

Professionals like those who train for films, where rearing is a stock trick is ok in my book. It's the 'professionals' who think they know what's what that will end up squished.

TheEquineOak

Visit site
Id love to teach mine to do 'tricks' but I would worry he would start to expect treats because of it.

I encouraged my horse to stretch into various positions using treats and now he does it all by himself... he still expects a treat at the end of it though.

I wouldn't encourage raising legs and stomping

vienna

Visit site
You cut the treats down when they have learned the trick so they get one at the end. Or once it is learned you can replace treat with scratch on wither.
Then save treat for a new trick.
They should only be taught to an unspoilt horse not one that has issues or even barginess.

rolsterlady

I don't currently but would love to, how did you acheive the above tricks?

I think I'd like to give it a go, I've already taught him to open doors etc. And he taught himself how to un tie his lead rope :rolleyes:

I learnt how to teach the tricks by following Carole Fletcher's steps in her book 'trickonometry'. they're all very simple really :D If you want to know how to teach a particular one let me know and i can explain step-by-step!

vienna

Visit site
You can teach that, simply leave some poo specifically in the stable where you want them to poo instead of mucking everything out but you have to make sure that there is no poo any where else and they should follow suit. Not all horses will though.

rolsterlady

Id love to teach mine to do 'tricks' but I would worry he would start to expect treats because of it.

I encouraged my horse to stretch into various positions using treats and now he does it all by himself... he still expects a treat at the end of it though.

Mine doesn't expect treats, she knows when he 'trick time' is and when she needs to behave :p so she knows when not to stomp etc :)

rolsterlady

PonyFeet10

Visit site
I'd like to teach my 2 to poo in just one corner of their stable, and also just one corner of the field (preferably quite close to the gate); do you think this is possible? :confused:

The one in my video above does.. In both field and stable lol. Don't know whether that is because he's still entire or not?? He did it since before I bought him when he was 2 and has carried on since.

He also taught himself to 'break free' by putting his head down underneath his leadrope and then hooking it behind his headcollar behind his ears and then pulling up and back :rolleyes:

Oh.. and he can undo his stable door so bottom bolt has to be across at all times lol! Naughty little devil he is :p

Last edited:

muddygreymare

Visit site
My mare had to do carrot stretches for a back problem last year and I continued that a bit. Today, for the first time I got her to properly bow :D I'd be interested in training her to do other stuff though, I think she'd enjoy it too :)

caitlineloise

Visit site
I learnt how to teach the tricks by following Carole Fletcher's steps in her book 'trickonometry'. they're all very simple really :D If you want to know how to teach a particular one let me know and i can explain step-by-step!

Oooh, I'll have to order that! Thank you!

Could you step by step the smile/laugh just to get me started? :eek::)

stargirl88

Visit site
Trick training is brilliant, I'm just starting to introduce clicker-training to my mare :)
I think it's unfortunate some people think it's silly, it's has the same benefit that it has trick-training dogs - engages the brain and forms a communication system.

AND as for the thing with stomping feet etc as an after effect of teaching them to raise their legs - most likely! HOWEVER when you have a solid verbal/physical cue for it - you dont reward the behaviour any other time unless you prompt it. This does eliminate the behaviour, eventually :D

Stacey6897

Visit site
Yay! Nice to hear from someone else who trick trains their horses!

Mike will kiss, hug, smile, bow, lie down, sit, fetch, salute, spanish walk, drunken walk and rear, all in hand and at liberty, Bee will salute, kiss, hug, touch a target and bow in hand

I thought long and hard before teaching the rear and decided that as Mike is my forever horse, and he will already lie down, and he rears for giggles anyway, I'd teach him to do it on command. As a general rule I'd say if you can't get your horse to lie down, you probably shouldn't teach the rear

Stacey6897

Visit site
Trick training is brilliant, I'm just starting to introduce clicker-training to my mare :)
I think it's unfortunate some people think it's silly, it's has the same benefit that it has trick-training dogs - engages the brain and forms a communication system.

AND as for the thing with stomping feet etc as an after effect of teaching them to raise their legs - most likely! HOWEVER when you have a solid verbal/physical cue for it - you dont reward the behaviour any other time unless you prompt it. This does eliminate the behaviour, eventually :D

True ^ it exercises their thinking muscles and you get a horse which is more obedient, not less

Stacey6897

Visit site
Jackie Johnson's book Step by Step Trick Training is very good, it runs through how the tricks work, all the possibilities you might encounter and how to deal with them

tonitot

Visit site
I've tried to teach Ethel to bow .. She gets so far then goes "meh I dont want the treat THAT much .. Get up mum you idiot!" while I wave a carrot round begging her just to do it once! I think she's too clever really and uses it to make people think she's stupid .. :rolleyes:

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk

If you are serious about using treats to train then the best way is to link the giving of a treat to a marker ( ie clicker training) but it can be a specific sound or word is does not have to be a clicker box. You are also best to never ever treat your horse with that treat without asking to do do something or you end up confiusing the horse because it does not know when and how to get the treat...... in other words you have to have rules and stick to them ;) Those that dont often end up with confused horses or horses that nip.

I would be careful too about using the words "good girl / boy" ( I think you were doing that ponyfeet) then giving a treat because if you do that a lot then say the words ( as a lot of us do) for loads things not just when we are asking for a behaviour ......the horse might expect a treat cos its made the connection between the word and the treat. We might miss it so the horse offers more of the behaviour or extremes of the behaviour ( strikes out higher possibly) and may end up getting narked if no treat appears because we are not conscious of what we have said !

If you are training any trick at all especially if rewarding it rather than just using negative reinforcement its best to be aware that the horse will probably go though a phase of offereing the behaviour ( trick) at other times ( like when tied up ) because the behaviour ( trick) is not yet on cue. Its therefore very important to decide what that cue is going to be and introduce it quite early on once the horse is getting the hang of the action and never treat / reward / scratch / say good by at any other time when its offered if you have not asked for it.

If you do train a "stomping" one you do have to be sure it is on a known cue ;)

we do it with bursting balloons and Taz does not offer the behaviour unless on cue ..... but I do stronly agree you have to be very sure of what you are doing and experienced teaching behaviours before you teach tricks like this

laurarescuedpics1130.jpg

mind you ....... its also a precuser to spanish walk ;) , doubt the classical trainer would call that a "trick" :p

going over see saw ...... trick ......... but trick is useful as prelude to loading ;)

mayagility011.jpg

tricks are great for keeping horses brains working especially when not getting ridden much in winter or on box rest or if retired from riding... or just for fun ....... or as something thats very useful in another guise ;) .........but just like any other horse training it does need to be though about and done properly ....... it can go wrong ;)

Last edited:

Stacey6897

Visit site
I've tried to teach Ethel to bow .. She gets so far then goes "meh I dont want the treat THAT much .. Get up mum you idiot!" while I wave a carrot round begging her just to do it once! I think she's too clever really and uses it to make people think she's stupid .. :rolleyes:

Keep trying, make sure you reward her if she rocks her weight back a bit, then each time she does a tiny bit more of a try, keep rewarding every little try and she'll soon get interested!