Does anyone use Biotin as a supplement?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Hiya, from what I understand, giving biotin on it's own is not a lot of cop, as it requires several other minerals to ensure it's absorbance/ metabolism. I would look for a complete hoof formula if you can, I can't remember the other things needed, sorry.

Shy is barefoot, and is doing stunningly well just fed on Top Spec Lite, if that's any help. Heard good things about farriers formula too. x

fornema

Visit site
Fed it to my old mare who could never ever keep her shoes on for 6-8 weeks, put her on biotin and never really had a problem with shoe loss apart from a few odd ones again with her, that was the only change in her diet, routine etc so must have made the difference.

wellsat

Visit site
Never fed Biotin personally but if you do feed it it needs to be part of a healthy balanced diet. What are you feeding at the moment?

TicTac

Visit site
Hiya, from what I understand, giving biotin on it's own is not a lot of cop, as it requires several other minerals to ensure it's absorbance/ metabolism. I would look for a complete hoof formula if you can, I can't remember the other things needed, sorry.

I agree. Heard good things about a supplement called Pro Hoof.

indiat

Visit site
My farrier says it doesn't really do much good on its own so I have stopped feeding it. Both of my neds have rock hard native feet anyway!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Biotin plus methionine, MSM, zinc and calcium to maintain healthy hooves.

Found this, if it helps - these are the things that are needed with Biotin x

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I feed it in the form of Brewers Yeast which has a range of B vitamins, amino acids as well as the yeast s for gut calming properties. It's an ingredient in alot of quite expensive supplements such as Pink Powder and Naf Magic but it's actually really cheap.

However I combine this with some other minerals that I know are currently lacking in the forage.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Never fed Biotin personally but if you do feed it it needs to be part of a healthy balanced diet. What are you feeding at the moment?

Pink Powder, Magnesuim, Baileys oil nuts and Oil chaff :)

Feed arent very bad but they could certainly do with some extra helpi feel.

Last edited:

Passionflower

Visit site
I mix biotin with happy hoof to my old mare and my young gelding for the hooves. And I've noticed it's worked! It's also worked on their manes! Tried EVERYTHING for my mares mane to grow and this has worked when I didn't need it to! Typical! :p