Does anyone want to help me horse hunt?!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
So I’m on the hunt for a new four legged partner. Henry will be for sale once he’s sound and back in work, but I’ve worked it out so I can still look for something new in the meantime, and can cope with a little bit of overlap with two.

My criteria are relatively flexible, if the horse is nice and has potential I’ll try it, I tend to buy mostly off “feeling” anyway. Budget under £10,000 ideally, could stretch up to £12,000 if it’s perfect.

15.1-16.3hh, 5-7yrs, with potential to event BE90/BE100+.

Preferably something that has competed at 80cm or above already. Must be good to load/travel, and ok to hack alone (spooky and needing hand holding is fine, dangerous is not). Don’t mind something a bit quirky or something that needs some work in the school.

The nearer to Lincolnshire the better! Possibly looking for a unicorn, but I can try!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
It was interesting searching! but a couple caught my eye that seemed to match your criteria

https://www.horsequest.co.uk/

Ref #: 243097

Ref #: 252884

Ref #: 252217
Thank you! I’d seen the gelding and was going to enquire. I really like the mare though (personal preference for mares!). Last gelding looks lovely but trying to avoid yet another grey if at all possibly ??

racebuddy

Visit site
I have 10.000 budget to run a second horse along side my current one however same as u want be experienced but 10.000 is just getting me hack or a baby thats actually not done anything !!! Xx i am going to wait until end of the year as not in any rush but obviously understand why you would want another one while harry is recovering xxx

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I have 10.000 budget to run a second horse along side my current one however same as u want be experienced but 10.000 is just getting me hack or a baby thats actually not done anything !!! Xx i am going to wait until end of the year as not in any rush but obviously understand why you would want another one while harry is recovering xxx
See I wouldn’t mind a sensible (or not so sensible ?) baby. My only concern is ending up with another one like Henry, who doesn’t actually stand up to competing/eventing (mentally rather than physically). When I bought Henry he’d not done much, and neither had my previous horses. Rosie turned out to be a unicorn, but took a few years! If only we had a crystal ball!

Squeak

Visit site
Blimey sometimes I think I should sell my horses with the prices horses are fetching o_O

I like the look of the mare ahml mentioned above.

Bernster

Visit site
AE seems to be looking for the same. I came across RH equine in lincs and I like her approach. No connection to her but she seems to have a reasonable warranty, on top of your usual rights ofc.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Do not buy a second horse before you have sold the one you have assuming that you only want one horse. I know someone that did that & then found that there was issues with their other horse & he couldn't be sold. Then you end up with two lots of horsey bills etc, not good.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Do not buy a second horse before you have sold the one you have assuming that you only want one horse. I know someone that did that & then found that there was issues with their other horse & he couldn't be sold. Then you end up with two lots of horsey bills etc, not good.
Thanks. Generally good advice, but I know there’s no issues with the current one, other than current issue (confirmed as just bruising). Before I decided to sell him (and before current lameness) I checked he’d be likely to pass a vetting.

Illtellyoulater

Visit site
Good luck with vetting, I am sure it will be fine, but...
we sold a horse for good money, vet found a heart murmur although flexion tests were fine
dropped price and sold it somewhere else the following week, next vet found no heart murmur, failed him on flexion
third week, leased the horse to a third person, had to have him revetted for the insurance, passed with flying colours
so it is one person’s opinion on one day
(this horse still eventing fine five years later, never been off)