Does anyone where a body protector when jumping BS?

Bluecat

Visit site
Im joining BS in the new year and went to watch an event last weekend just to look at the newcomers and discovery. I noticed that not one competitor seemed to be wearing a body protector. I normally do when doing unafilliated open sj so just wondered why they werent and now thinking im going to stand out a mile if i wear mine.as has to go over my jacket!Do higher levels where them?

Firewell

Visit site
I don't think so, but I wore mine when doing BN and Disco with my old horse. I don't care what people think, it's not like it's against the rules.
My SJ instructor hates them as she says they are restricting and inhibit motion but I dont really care! I feel off once jumping at home and I had a massive gash through my BP, have worn one to jump ever since :).

scarymare

Visit site
Yes, loads of people up here do. To be honest, I have seen so many injuries recently, some would have been made more comfortable by a BP that I'm thinking of wearing mine for my weekly 60cm:):):) - I wouldn't give a flying **** what people think and as for your instructor saying they are restrictive etc, they may well be but I suggest you find yourself another one - Madness

tinap

Visit site
Daughter does junior BS upto fox height & I can't get her to wear hers!! Only ever gets used for xc!! If you are more comfortable with it on, then wear it xx

POLLDARK

Visit site
Perhaps in your area they tend not too wear them but I bet there are people who would like to but aren't brave enough to be the first. I am sure if you are bold enough to wear your BP others will gradually feel that it is OK for them aswell. Just because others don't wear them is no reason to be a sheep & do the same, besides we all know how sheep end up.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I've seen BP's worn at intro shows, normally the 70cm and 80cm. Very occasionally you will see someone wearing one in a BN. Normally 30 seconds watching the horse answers why.
Cant remember ever having seen someone compete disco or above in a BP.

Bluecat

Visit site
I find it strange that people dont as they are jumping higher and more technical fences and lines to the fences!i think i will wear mine. Just didnt want to look like a total novice but my life/back is more important than looking good!

teamsarazara

Visit site
I dont, i feel more restricted wearing one and i hurt more if i fall off in one. I not sure why but my back hurts alot more, my position isnt right with one either. I think they are good for XC but dont really see the point for jumping tbh.

Firewell

Visit site
I have pictures of me wearing my BP jumping BS. I'm out now but I'll post them tomorrow and you can see I'm jumping BN and Disco. I wear a black one over the top of a black jacket now but I used to wear one under a jacket when I was younger. Tbf, I really don't look that attractive in it but it gives me confidence!
I see people fall off onto poles and break ribs and such like and I know the BP is extra padding that will help protect my body. Seeing that gash in my BP when I fell off.. Lord knows what caused it but that would have been my body!
They are really uncomfortable and I do hate them but when I'm actually going around the BP is the last thing I'm thinking about!

Daytona

Visit site
I do BS and I wear mine but then my horse can be very unpredictable, but don't be put off wearing one. If your safety is important to you then wear it, who cares what others think.

ESH

Visit site
I've seen BP's worn at intro shows, normally the 70cm and 80cm. Very occasionally you will see someone wearing one in a BN. Normally 30 seconds watching the horse answers why.
Cant remember ever having seen someone compete disco or above in a BP.

You obviously haven't looked too closely :) Although I would have still been doing BN a couple of years ago.

I wear mine, it goes under my jacket, once it's on I almost forget I'm wearing it. I started wearing it when I started to compete my young horse, a couple of nasty falls from 17.2hh against wings hurts and even though he doesn't tend to throw in nasty stops SJ now, I just feel a bit more protected as I don't bounce as easily these days.

I also feel I ride my fences with more confidence if I am wearing it.

foraday

Visit site
I jump BS and wear a point 2 over the top of my jacket!

I am surprised that none of the other SJ wear them!

Probably would have prevented a lot of the injuries that have happened this year! Has saved me 3 times this year.