Does anyone's horse not buck/bronco??

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've only ever had 2 of my own horses who have bucked with me. One had a bad back so totally understandable, the other used to do an occasional one purely out of excitment (he was a Welsh Cob with masses of presence, sometimes the energy escaped - made me laugh though!). None of the other horses I've had have ever bucked. The horse I ride currently for a friend does however buck... and rear. I had to bail out last weekend in fact!

Tickles

Visit site
Most horses, health permitting, will buck in the field.

Bucking under saddle nearly always means
- pain
- confusion (eg green horse being asked to make flying changes)
- lack of turnout (eg a hacking centre horse kept in a stable expect for when out with clients)
- 'high spirits' (generally turns out to be insufficient turnout if you aren't doing something 'exciting' such as a lot of unusual jumping)

So, can you expect never to have to sit a buck or two? No, ALL horses capable of being ridden can buck (some higher than others of course!).

You CAN expect that some healthy, happy, well-managed animals will only do it very rarely under saddle.

noodle_

Visit site
not yet. but she is 4 and im pushing her all the tim elol!

bucks i can deal with - broncs she would be up for sale and gone.

eta - ive never seen her buck in the field either, shes too lazy. she only ever does anything more than walk when her friends leave her.... then its trot and a big effort to get into canter lol!

cobgirlie

Visit site
BC has never bucked...doubt he ever will that would require effort!!! LC has bucked once because I asked him to go down one path and he wanted to go down another..so he bucked in frustration!! I laughed cos I was so shocked by his temper tantrum! AND funnily enough last weekend he bronced for the first time ever!! We'd gone up a track we use for gallopping and the person with me was a bit nervous so I told LC to wait and he was so keen to go he bronced me!!!! I very nearly came off cos I really never expected that of him!!! Hopefully it was a one off cos I don't need to add that to his list of tricks!!:rolleyes:

Kat

Visit site
Personally I think most horses will at some point buck, it is a natural movement that they are capable of, some will do it more than others though. I think alot depends upon the reaction they get, some horses learn that bucking makes their rider back off and so do it more.

The vast majority of horses when they buck it is a high spirited bunny hop type of buck, but some have seriously powerful bucks and some an evil twisting bronc. I've been unfortunate enough to meet a couple of regular buckers, but they are the exception not the rule. The worst was a little coloured pony mare, she had a real bronc in her, and would do it regularly, always when jumping, if you tried to get on from the floor or if you were rough getting on from a block or with a leg up and if you used a stick. She had everything checked and nothing could be found wrong, she didn't seem to be in pain and certainly when jumping it was like the excitement got the better of her, but when she did it she'd be in another zone and you had to just sit it out, you couldn't do anything to stop her once she'd started. It was a shame she was a super mare with a huge jump!

I think you've just had an unlucky run recently so try to put it out of your mind.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
My part-loan mare bucks occasionally - more excitement at going into canter and/or if she's being awkward and you tap her with a crop, but she has to slow down to do it! :D
The other mare also bucks occasionally out of excitement - she broncoes on the lunge but has never done it seriously under saddle (a series of 2 bucks at the most!) - and she has BIG bucks so I'm glad she doesn't do it that often! :p
My first part loan however used to rodeo whenever a) he was overtaken b) he knew people were watching c) you were doing something important - such as a qualifiers show where he went into the arena and began to rodeo around the track until they were asked to leave! :eek:
I think all horses have a buck somewhere in them...but generally with the ones I've known, its not malicious and certainly not to unseat their riders :)
K x

HollyB66

Visit site
I've had my 19 year old mare for over a year now and I would have said she never bucked, that is until the recent snow. Her first trip out she got over excited in the first canter and threw in some really pingy bucks - bless!!!

I've kept her working most days since and she hasn't repeated this :D Was a giggle at the time - it was so unexpected - I didn't think she could be 'naughty'.

Pixiedust91

Visit site
The last horse I had (TB) never bucked in the 10 years I owned her. The horse before that didn't either and I owned her for 13 years. No, they do not all buck and certainly don't all bronc. Maybe you grip too hard with your legs ?

Same, My tb ex-racer never put a foot wrong in 10 years and my mums horse doesn't buck or bronk under saddle either. So not not all horses do, I know it seems like it, as even my "normally perfectly behaved mare" will have a (poor attempted) buck if she is in season and doesn't want to play ball.

only_me

Visit site
Billy doesnt do a proper buck, tends to just hump a little :)

I suspect though he hasn't figured out how to do it under saddle; he sort of humps when very fresh in the first canter transition but suppose because he is so gangly at the moment can't quite work out how :p

sprite1978

Visit site
My 17h gelding does large bucks if you make him canter when he doesnt want to, or if he wants to follow other horses in to canter on a hack, and you try to hold him. They can be very big.

He onced bucked so high close to a post and rail fence, that one leg got stuck over the other side. He stood there looking confused, and i had to get off and lift his leg back over!

stroppy

Visit site
OMG I so wish either of mine didn't!! My old git is so incredibly naughty at the moment he keeps broncing and hurting my back, my 10yo has always been a cow for bucking in windy weather!!

skychick

Visit site
My first pony bucked occasionally through excitement....mainly after jumping fallen trees in the woods! He would do little diddy rear leapy things when he knew we were going for a gallop.

Last horse.....absolute nightmare....was a napper, rearer, bucker, rein snatcher, leap/plunger, shoulder dropper, spinner.

Present horse.....so far touch wood....she doesnt buck or rear. (she was owned by a friend for 9 years and she never did with her either) gets a bit flighty when fresh...like at the mo we are doing lots of whizzing across the school...but so far no bucks or rears.
Love her.

Starbucks

Visit site
Badger doesn’t very often, but every time he has whoever has been riding him has fallen off!!!

I was riding him on a track and this lady knelt down to put her dog on a lead as he walked past – not sure what he thought she was doing but he did this HUGE leap/buck/kick totally out of the blue!! Me strait off!!

Then he has had my mum off once and a girl who used to exercise him once.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
My lad as a rule doesn't buck, rear, bronce, nap or bolt. however he has bucked before as he was in pain. so you know if he ever bucks its because he is in pain so you should get off.

seadog

Visit site
Mine doesn't!!!!
Doesn't buck, bronc or rear....never has but i think its because shes never realised!
Dont be jelous though in her younger days she used to take off as soon as her hooves touched grass and now she does the old 190 degree spin round out hacking!

kerilli

Visit site
Most horses, health permitting, will buck in the field.

Bucking under saddle nearly always means
- pain
- confusion (eg green horse being asked to make flying changes)
- lack of turnout (eg a hacking centre horse kept in a stable expect for when out with clients)
- 'high spirits' (generally turns out to be insufficient turnout if you aren't doing something 'exciting' such as a lot of unusual jumping)

So, can you expect never to have to sit a buck or two? No, ALL horses capable of being ridden can buck (some higher than others of course!).

You CAN expect that some healthy, happy, well-managed animals will only do it very rarely under saddle.

exactly this. i've had mares who never ever bucked in their entire lives. nice, i must admit... i'm no fan of buckers!
i think it's very often a back or saddle problem that causes it, tbh, or simple exuberance if it's a little whee! moment.

0ldmare

Visit site
My old mare never ever bucked with me and I've owned her for about 11 years. Dont get me wrong she always was a lively ride :cool: and had a lethal spook and spin and could go from fast canter to halt in one stride if she spotted a terrifying leaf of something, but never ever bucked.

My chestnut never did either - if you didnt count her over excited bambi style leaps (ie leaping into the air but with head up lol)

marmalade76

Visit site
Most of the horses/ponies I have had never bucked, not even a fly buck, at least whilst I owned/loaned them. They were all forward going sharp/whizzy types. IME it's the quieter/lazier ones that are more likely to buck!

I was once chatting on the phone to a dealer about a horse she had for sale and she told me that anyone who says their horse never bucks is a liar! If that's the case, there's a fair few here then! Needless to say, I didn't get as far as viewing said horse.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
Mine used to do 'mini bucks' at any change of pace but she hasn't done this for at least a couple of years and I can't imagine her doing it again, though I'm always prepared! But they were never big get-you-off bucks, just minor displays of temper, how DARE I tell her what to do!

OneInAMillion

Visit site
FH loves to rear (NO PAIN WHATSOEVER-everything checked) it is his party trick. But in just under 4 years he has only bucked 3 times. Twice before he got a new saddle and the third time because he had slipped on grass and made himself look like a fool!