does anyones youngsters trip up in hand? also in nl

luckyjac

Visit site
Hi, I have a little mare who will be 3 in may. I have just brought her in (a week ago) from a very wet boggy field and she is now stabled ready to start her education. She was in for her first winter and handled well, but I have now noticed she is a bit trippy, im sure its just babyness, taking in her new surroundings and being bum high at the moment, she doesnt always trip, but sometimes it seems as though shes sort of sliding her front feet along (that sounds worse than it is but only way i can think of describing it.) I would have thought that considering the field she has come from she would be inclined to pick her feet up well?? (to get out of the bog) So was just wondering if this is common, this is a bit of a sore point for me and I am paranoid as I once bought a 6 year old horse that turned out to have navicular and this was the first sign so its all very unfortunate. Thanks

HBM1

Visit site
My enormous 2 year old did in the Spring, he just needed to get used to where his legs were. He has stopped now he has grown into them. I think he was also quite lazy with his walking and didn't lift his feet up high enough, a bit like a teenage Kevin slouching around the field!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
A youngster that is bum high will have a problem in learning how to balance from the uneven-ness and to be fair to it, you shouldn't be working something while it is unlevel as you'll put far more strain on the limbs and body; wait until it's evened up again - and each time it does it too. Some youngsters grow levelly, they won't have such a problem but un even growth can bring a lot of problems if you start to work them, their bodies just aren't right physically to stand that safely.

CBFan

Visit site
I would say it is partly an unlevel baby thing...It can take them quite a while to figure out where their feet are, particularly if they are big babies (long way from the brain to the feet!) Given her age, I'd be inclined not to rush into doing any work with her just yet... even if you didn't start her til mid summer, there is still plenty of time to get things done with her before next winter.

That said, what are her feet like? You say you worry about navicular - it isn't some condition that is inherited, it is generally created by compromised hoof growth so get that right and you will be well on your way to preventing such conditions occurring. If you are really worried, perhaps get some piccies of her feet and consult the 'barefoot taliban'... it might be simply that her toes are a little long, heels are underrun or something relatively simple to remedy that is causing her to trip but can ultimately lead to conditions including the dreaded Navicular developing...

My youngster used to trip all the time but since improving his feet and getting him fitter he doesn't do it at all any more :) He is now rising 6 though and I have brought him on slowly (didn't back him til he was 3.5 and it was a bit of a stop/start start for various reasons so haven't really cracked on with him til this last 6 months or so..)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My 18 month old gelding does nothing but trip ! and if he does not trip himself up he trips me up.

He is like an baby elephant on alcopops. My favourite comment to him at the moment is 'earth to Ted, come in please', heaven knows what he will be like when he 3 or 4 years old it will be a case of here's my head, the rest of me will be along in due course.

luckyjac

Visit site
thanks for everyones replies, shes much better already, i think she was just been nosey! and it was only to and from the field! ive not started any 'work' with her, just brought her in ready for the summer/autumn as my little boy will start school then so I can really crack on with her then ;)