Does Bute always work

Visit site
Reading another post mentioning a trial on bute, I wonder how effective it is. I have an old lad on 2 a day as he has a hock or higher up problem. It doesn't seem to make any difference to his lameness/stiffness, but today he was whooping it up in the paddock kicking his legs up! I had decided to do the deed when winter routine starts but this makes me think again. He is otherwise looking very good, despite having serious liver issues last year.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My vet says it does not work on back pain or SI strain.

Alibear

Visit site
On a couple of occasions it hasn't for horses on yards I've been on and then the vet has prescribed finadye I think. Just for short term use and then bute has worked from then on and then gradually down to nothing or a maintenance dose of bute.

wkiwi

Visit site
Its effectiveness is a bit like human paracetomol - if you have some discomfort it will help, if you have something worse then it won't. I.e. it works for low-level pain and inflammation to take the edge off, or when the worst of the damage is gone, but it isn't going to block/stop more severe pain.

Horses in the paddock can easily override pain for a short time with adrenaline, so will run around and look fine even though it is not in their best interests so probably too soon to tell if it is going to help in winter from one incident but hopefully he is starting to respond to the bute for you.

Nudibranch

Visit site
My vet says the same as YCBMs.
Fwiw they can have good days and as mentioned, adrenaline has a huge effect. I have one with neck/SI/hock issues who is going to be pts in autumn I think, and like you I'll watch him and think he looks great at times. But other days he's not.

Last edited:
Visit site
Nudibranch, I am dreading making the decision, actually picking a day. The horses I have lost in the past have both had colic so it was unavoidable.

Nudibranch

Visit site
It's really difficult isn't it? I've had several pts over the years and all were older and had reached the end of their comfort zones. This one has just turned 7 and is a big, handsome and actually very smart and trainable horse. He greets you with a nicker and is one of the most affectionate I've owned. It seems criminal to even think about it but I know long term he has no future. It's just that thing - deciding a date. Much harder than I ever imagined.