Does everybody use full necks on their horses now?

wiglet

Visit site
I use detachable necks but only if it's forecast rain, proper rain (not just a bit of drizzle) all day. She's blanket clipped but the field is fairly sheltered with hedges and trees. I used to put full neck rugs on all winter but, her mane was non-existent come spring!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I conpromise and have some half neck/high neck rugs, Rhinos/Rambos and Weatherbeetas. They give a bit more protection but i haven't had rubbing issues with them and i found them good for high withered horses as the pressure isn't on the withers

Lintel

Visit site
They just don't fit the Hipo... not wide enough or if they are they are far too long.

I miss the old half neck turnouts, they seem pretty rare now ?

SEL

Visit site
The Appy has a light weight detachable neck cover that clips on for really vile weather - otherwise water runs under her rug.

The Ardennes has 2 neck covers that came with his rugs. Chances of them fitting round his neck?????? Strangle the poor boy - he could never have a combi rug

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I cheerfully use the detatched necks to pop over either of the mini ponies if they come in sopping, towel laid under, then neck on top. Ideal mini pony drying and keeping warm jackets :)
Are there other uses for neck covers then? ?

I do have a 100g with full neck that I'll use in daytime if weather very vile and soaking, for B Fuzzy.
The 300g (used once for 2 nights in last 2 yrs) has a detachable neck, this is still unworn and in the bag......

Balancing out, I find that a full integral neck on a good rug appears to do less damage to manes on natives than a detachable one.

Pippity

Visit site
Her 50g and 100g both have detachable necks, so I'll use it or not, depending on the weather. She's hogged and clipped, so I like her to have a bit more protection on her neck if it's bucketing down. Her 200g has an integral neck, but I think she's worn that about five times max in the two years I've had her.

I wouldn't say I'm an over-rugger. She's out naked at the moment, when her fieldmates are bundled up in 200g, but she runs hot. (And I want her to burn some lard. The vet complimented her on being 'lean' the other day and I nearly burst out laughing.)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I use them because we're on clay. You need a chisel to get the dried mud off and mud fever on necks is avoidable with a neck cover. Don't use neck covers on stable rugs though.

Cob Life

Visit site
I use them for the WB/arab as she really feels the cold.

the cob gets whatever lightweight I can get cheap second hand

BSL2

Visit site
If weather bad enough for need of full neck, boyo is brought in. Yet to find one that fits. Rug super fit, neck too long...Arab.

Wishfilly

Visit site
My new pony is hogged, so I do feel like he need a neck in the rain especially. It is detachable, so on mild days I have turned him out without it on. His old owner said he lost condition quickly going into winter last year, so I am probably being a bit precious about him, but he has yet to come in feeling sweated up, and given we had a hail shower on Tuesday, I want him to be happy and dry out in the field.

I do agree that a lot of horses don't need them, but if they are detachable, I don't see it as a huge issue?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I know I'm old fashioned, but I see so many posts about full neck turnouts on social media, not just on this site,- what makes don't rub, what makes fit wide shoulders, what makes don't slip and what makes suit *insert picture of pony, or horse with bib clip*....
I get it can help keep them clean, (ah!!) I get it if they are of fragile quality and melt in the rain sorts, and I would get it if it were indeed -10oc and we're in some sort of blizzard. But, surely, is it really necessary? finding ordinary neck fitting rugs is getting harder, a little bit like finding an ordinary cavesson bridle!
I am really happy with Gallop rugs, and also use a bossy bib in combo so rug does not get greasy. I prefer full neck and fold neck under when I need to turning into t a classic rug.

Flame_

Visit site
No. Ive always found they rub the mane.

Same. I have Rambos and always take the detachable necks off.

Do people who use Rambo Wugs find they rub manes more than standard necks? I've got an old one of these and I'm considering using it on wet days as sometimes the rain does run in at the neck of my Duos.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My cob with the very full mane, long and thick, with strong individual hairs, hates a neck rug. She doesn't even like having her mane tucked into a rug. Of course she doesn't need the extra protection.

We used to laugh at the Westphalian who also had a thick but much shorter mane. She hated being out in the rain, we used to say that she wanted a rain hat. What she actually wanted, it turned out, was a full neck rug. She didn't mind getting her ears wet, so long as her neck was dry!

Griffin

Visit site
I vary from year to year. If my mare is fully clipped, I will use a a combo turnout. However, this year I have given her an Irish clip, so I will used a standard neck with a detachable neck cover if it rains. I like to use a no fill neck cover because it seems to reduce the loss of mane. I do have a 100g neck cover though for when it is freezing.

indie1282

Visit site
I've only got Rambo or Rhino rugs with detachable neck. The necks are no fill.

I only put a neck on if its very wet and windy.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I don't use them, but I have hairy cobs with huge manes. They also have really short necks for their rug size, the one time I have put on a rug with a non-detachable neck on it was hanging down over his eyes!

Mule

Visit site
The beast doesn't like rugs but if he's clipped and it's genuinely cold out he'll deign to wear a light weight one. He seems to hate the the ones with necks though. So I don't use them.

Ouch05

Visit site
All bar their new rain sheets have fitted neck. For me if they weather warrants a rug then a put a rug with a neck on. I don't like the way the rain runs down in to the body on a standard. Tb neck is clipped out as well.

Visit site
Some of mine have a full neck some have a detachable one. GrayMo has a new detachable neck arrivinh soon as although he is Gray he likes sporting the farmers tan look in all but the heaviest of rain. Jeff always prefered his neck up. The Shetland that rubbed had an integrated neck - less chance of him removing it! The dartmoor has a detachable neck because he is a pathetic woose in a summer rain let alone a winter one. Anyone else that requires a rug has a standard neck one.

Winters100

Visit site
Where I live is colder than the UK, and I am a big fan of detachable ones. The 0 fill is the most often used for rainy / windy days, and I have them in 100 and 200g too, but for me to use them it has to be really cold. Once it is below around -5 I would go for a 300g rug with a 100g neck, and the 200g neck only if it is -10 and windy, which we used to get but have not had the last year or two. I also have a very nice 450g rug from when we moved here which was an expensive mistake - it is still in the bag. Generally I like them for keeping the ponies dry and comfortable, but the ones with the clip attachments are much better than the ones with velcro as easier to take off in case it is warmer than I expect..

Reri1826

Visit site
I don’t, my boy hates necks. I only buy swish rugs now as they fit well, don’t leak, don’t cost the earth and come in either standard or detachable styles.

TPO

Visit site
The TB has a two MW combos and two HW combos. Hes not clipped and only gets them on in the most vile of weather. HW tends to be when its absolutely freezing (or below freezing to be exact) and MW combo when its horizontal rain and cutting winds.

QH has one detachable MW and one combo MW. I have the fieldmasta combo rug with the dome neck. It's fantastic, no mane rubbing at all, fits well and its ow in its 4th year of use and it (if it was clean!) would pass for new. He only wears that in the worst of weather as he prefers to apply a mud mask to his mane ?

Littlewills

Visit site
I have rambos with detachable necks and have no fill, 150gm and 250gm. I use them as needed. I find a neck cover can reduce the weight of rugs a horse needs so am happy to have them and use them as and when needed.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I learnt a long time ago with my horses that I needed to choose between my horses having manes and using neck covers. I chose manes, so my horses normally standard neck rugs and wugs/half necks. The wugs don't rub the manes in the same way as they don't go tight when the horse puts its head down to graze. Neck covers and combos are for weather emergencies only.

sport horse

Visit site
It is 11 degress cetnigrade, not raining and the horses in a nearby livery yard are out in full neck warm rugs - they are not even clipped!! Some are cobs and nothing appears to be a delicate thorougbred. No wonder the vets are constantly writing articles about overweight horses and laminitis. Meanwhile because all the manes ar ebeing rubbed out the owners are off buying bibs etc which make the poor horse even hotter. I breed warmbloods and my youngsters and even OAP's are out 24/7 unrugged except in Jan/March when they come in at night but are still not rugged.

DressageCob

Visit site
Both of my fully clipped cobs have PE rugs with detachable necks. The necks are currently attached. The little cob who lives out is in 100g because he felt cold in his detachable neck lightweight. He just feels comfortable now, room temperature, not toasty. Admittedly my main reason for a full neck with him is his neck is white. His are the half neck PE rugs, with a full neck attachment, which is great. They don't seem to lose as much mane hair with that design.

The bigger cob is hogged, so losing mane hair is not a problem. He lives in and is in a lightweight with liner. I put the neck on him because without it he gets a super fluffy neck and barely-clippable body hair. With the neck on he doesn't seem to get as fluffy as quickly. That might be in my head though ?