Does everyone compete?

dixie

Visit site
Yes I do but not as much as I used to.
however I now have a nice new young horse so I might do more if he enjoys it.

There are 7 others on my yard and 6 of them don’t and don’t have transport either.
The other is my mother and at 71 she still competes at dressage ?

J&S

Visit site
I am like dixie's mum, in my 70,s but no longer go out to compete as my horse/pony is elderly too. We still do on line competition though. I have always done plenty of hacking as well .

Michen

Visit site
I’ve competed Boggle once this year eventing though he’s sjed and dressaged with his sharer.

I love eventing but have little interest in competing in the individual disciplines as I don’t find them that exciting and am not bothered about results enough eventing to feel the practise is worth it. I like clinics and camps though.

This time last year I wasn’t sure I’d ever ride my main horse again and I am still so delighted every time I get in the saddle, the gratefulness to even be riding at all hasn’t faded despite him being back in full work for ages. That said he’s not a happy hacker and does need to be kept stimulate and busy to be a “relaxing” hack.

Horse and hacking first, competing second for me.

Tinsel

Visit site
I have completed with riding school horses at a riding school I went to before but I am hoping to get horse riding lessons sorted out soon i will see where I go after that

Attachments

• 1A696BA8-444D-489E-813E-F4FE1AB8A06F.jpeg
    1A696BA8-444D-489E-813E-F4FE1AB8A06F.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 5

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I only hack and do fun rides now. I hate competitions so can’t see the point in paying for something which stresses me out. I used to do the odd RC clinic but haven’t bothered joining this year, I just don’t feel the need. I do enjoy XC fence judging though, watching the kids and fearless having a blast round but that’s enough for me.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
My RS holds regular BD aff and unaff dressage competitions plus show jumping and cross country etc. I do dressage because they are ‘on site’ and it gives a focus for lessons although pre-test nerves mean I curse myself every time for putting us through it. There are always lots of privately owned horses boxed in. Our last was our best, third place with 65% and I’m thinking that’s a good note to end on as ‘my’ horse isn’t really into it. We’ll hack or jump instead, he likes both better.

Winters100

Visit site
Pre-covid I was out probably 3 weekends out of 4. This season 0.

Now I must admit that I am beginning to wonder why I am keeping the horses this fit when I have no interest in doing anything away from home. I seem to have made a rod for my own back, because I like how they are fit, but it is a lot of work to keep them this way. On the other hand if there is anything that I feel like doing they are ready, so I suppose that is something....

MummyEms

Visit site
Exactly this. I take my riding seriously. But my goal is to ride a GP at home on a rainy tuesday evening in november, not all dressed up on a sunday. I want to be the best rider I can be and make my horse the best she can be, but I don’t really care how we score against others. I ride for me and the joy it gives me.

So I rarely compete, because I just can’t be bothered.
Absolutely me also!!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Absolutely me also!!!
Exactly this. I take my riding seriously. But my goal is to ride a GP at home on a rainy tuesday evening in november, not all dressed up on a sunday. I want to be the best rider I can be and make my horse the best she can be, but I don’t really care how we score against others. I ride for me and the joy it gives me.

So I rarely compete, because I just can’t be bothered.

Could we make it dry not rainy :) ?

silv

Visit site
I enjoy competing, most weekends apart from winter when there is not much on. I am either competing affiliated dressage, county level showing or competitive trail riding. I have two horses, one, Mabel, I keep for trail riding and trekking which I also love. ie organised rides usually fundraisers staying and riding on some of the huge stations here with overnight camping in my float, love the social side as well as the scenery. Also love hacking out, fortunately I am retired and have plenty time to do both. My big warmblood Arty loves hacking and seeing new places so we usually go out about twice a week, have a lesson, and a ride in my arena two days. so pretty busy.

AUB

Visit site
Could we make it dry not rainy :) ?

Gray, then. And maybe a bit damp?

One of those days where you don’t really want to go for a ride and would rather just stay at home. THAT’S the day I want to ride a perfect GP test.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I was out most weeks for past few years lower stuff up to 105 as I’m a wimp, now my horse has been in rehab since January and really missing it! Obviously horses health comes first but don’t think I’d have horses if couldn’t compete! Bumbling life isn’t for me

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don't 'just hack' or 'bumble', but work often whilst out hacking at all 4 gears.
These days I thoroughly enjoy boxing out to go other places.
I also do rc clinics etc, go on local gallops, do xc schooling and occasional jumping comps too - as it's all part of having a well rounded fuzzy.

Back in the day, I was out virtually all year round backing and producing, plus drag hunting in winter.

I well remember saying in my teens, 20s, 30s and 40s that if I couldn't compete then I'd give up altogether..... looking back, that's a pretty hollow view.

Am I happy? Yes.
Would I just do slopping around hacking? No.

Those who appear to look down their noses at those who only hack, do determine HOW they hack before you get too superior ??

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I felt this came up a bit on another thread yesterday TFF. It has always amazed me over the years when I've read things like 'hacking horses don't have to be fit' or 'I wouldn't bother clipping a hacking horse'. Really? Mine would boil if I didnt clip him from September onwards and good luck riding 30km on an unfit horse ....

When I hack, I routinely incorporate things like interval training sessions for fitness, transitions within the gaits (ok, so we've not exactly mastered an extended trot ?). I expect to be able to canter uphill and down. Jumping logs, crossing fjords or streams and jumping ditches are all part of an every day hack.

In the past, my pony has kept up perfectly well with his novice endurance friend. He'd struggle to be truly competitive but he's no slouch potato when be puts his mind to it.

I've come to the conclusion there's 'happy hacking' and there's 'happy hacking'.

I just love being out in the countryside with my best friend and we both prefer to canter up the side of a hill than a 20 metre circle, the majority of the time ;)

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Not that this is a thread about having a go at hackers, but I often think hacking is one of the most taxing things about riding! Unpredictable, lots of things to spook at, risk of injury, stupid road users etc etc. I think happy hackers are pretty bold to cope with all that.

As for competing, very sporadic for me but it does help give me structure and something to train for. I tend to go out more for clinics and course hire, occasionally hacking as ours is now more limited. Don’t tend to go out more than 2 a month at most but, with COVID and lockdown, I’ve lost my mojo !

Antw23uk

Visit site
What a refreshing thread. Social media and the fake news feed and overhyped 'lifestyles' are a drain and often mislead people into thinking they should be doing more than they want to because 'everyone' else is!

I like to hack and do clinics and now im keen on schooling the new horse to see what he's got and what he is potentially capable of but I've no ambitions to take him out competing although wouldnt rule it out if it was convenient :)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Not that this is a thread about having a go at hackers, but I often think hacking is one of the most taxing things about riding! Unpredictable, lots of things to spook at, risk of injury, stupid road users etc etc. I think happy hackers are pretty bold to cope with all that.
!

This!! Hacking needs a lot more skill and confidence than pretty much anything else. Rather than retyping my views on hacking, here is a link. Amber was not hard to hack but I never really relaxed on her.

https://themarewhonoonewanted.wordpress.com/2017/10/14/in-pursuit-of-hackiness/

Tarragon

Visit site
[QUOTE="Those who appear to look down their noses at those who only hack, do determine HOW they hack before you get too superior ??[/QUOTE]
This - absolutely!
Perhaps "hacking" should be replaced with "Riding Out" - sounds so much better :)

AandK

Visit site
Would love to be out and about doing lessons/clinics/comps but the last 3yrs have been a write off for me due to various horse issues. Got a new one 2yrs ago and have yet to take him anywhere in the trailer other than the vets, despite getting to the point of booking something a couple of times. Maybe some day!

mini_b

Visit site

As for competing, very sporadic for me but it does help give me structure and something to train for. I tend to go out more for clinics and course hire, occasionally hacking as ours is now more limited. Don’t tend to go out more than 2 a month at most but, with COVID and lockdown, I’ve lost my mojo !

There are bridleways near-ish to me that are pretty much along side the motor way and very fast busy roads, cross loads of major roads.
whoever has the balls and a bombproof enough horse to use them - good on them!

Hacking is a frigging extreme sport these days with the sheer number of tw*ts on the roads!

skint1

Visit site
I've been riding for 10 years, done 1 fun ride and 1 camp. I have no wish to compete but happily support friends who do, but it all seems rather stressful to me and at best I would be comic relief at a competition. I'd like to do a camp again one day but maybe one that did fun stuff like Trec and hacking