Does garlic really help with flies?

Queenbee

Visit site
There is no real evidence that it does, although logic to me dictates it probably helps... However, there is evidence that garlic has far more negative effects such as contributing to a form of anaemia... Far better fly repellent products than something that will have detrimental effects. Try neem oil, elderflower,Avon skin so soft or citronella. In my opinion there is no need to go for something like garlic when these are in the market

JillA

Visit site
Care should be taken when you feed garlic. It is a natural antibacterial and has a negative impact on gut bacteria. If you do think it is worth feeding you should be adding a good probiotic as well. And I don't think there is any evidence it keeps flies away.

Venevidivici

Visit site
None of ours are on garlic anymore due to ^^^ but when they were (8 out of the 9) it definitely did not help with flies! They had as many as the non-garlic fed horse!

burtie

Visit site
I find it makes no difference to the amount of buzzy flies and it makes no difference to the local Crab fly population. But I tried not feeding it once and it made a very noticeable difference to the amount of horse fly bite lumps my horse had. As he swells up quite sore from each and every bite, he is feed Garlic from the first sign of flies to the end of July(ish) when horse fly biting season is generally over!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
NO

I wont use it anymore as it can cause behaviour problems, also it comes from the onion family which is poisonous

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Personally I no longer feed garlic due to all the above reasons however!
I did notice, as did lots of other people that my old pony on a livery yard was usually pretty much fly free when the horses surrounding him were covered and got bitten a lot. The only difference was that mine got garlic and the others didn't so at the time I put it down too that? No idea if it was or not but it was the only thing I could think of!

Now I just spend a small fortune on repellents and rugs instead!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
no. apparently marmite or some other form of B vitamins (brewers yeast) can against biting flies. There's just individual differences between horses I think. My grey was never really bothered by flies, the two Exmoors are and I put it down to colour difference. The new loan horse is very dark bay though and he's not as bothered by them either.
Much like I don't get bothered by midges, my yard mate and my OH do.

JillA

Visit site
I do think flies prefer darker colours. My old mare was very dark bay and we were always riding along in a cloud of flies despite every repellant known to man, whereas hacking companion on a bright bay got very few. And my lad is almost black - they LOVE him!!

StormyGale

Visit site
I wish that were true JillA I have a very light buckskin and he's a permanent buffet for flies lol. I do give him garlic powder but only in summer months didn't realise it wasn't good for their gut bacteria may have to look into this

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If you've got a Sweet Itch, then garlic is the worst thing to feed: don't ask me about the science of it, but it apparently acts as an immune system stimulant, which is NOT what you want to encourage with SI as the disorder is all about immune system over-producing.

So, basically, I don't feed it. Use Brewers Yeast tho'.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I feed it for its immune system boosting properties, my mare has had viruses in the past. Touch wood, non since feeding permanently. Not noticed any fly repellent effects. Did try fly gone once - by global herbs, think that's what its called. That certainly seemed to work.

Emilieu

Visit site
I don't use it on my horse fir the reasons above but I have to say I use it on myself before going abroad and it is the only thing I have ever found that stops ne becoming a mozzy buffet.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
No it doesn't I'm afraid... Another horsey urban myth. Although it may keep vampires at bay... If you have a vampire problem :D

Get some coopers spot on or a remedy that actually works.

Tammytoo

Visit site
If you've got a Sweet Itch, then garlic is the worst thing to feed: don't ask me about the science of it, but it apparently acts as an immune system stimulant, which is NOT what you want to encourage with SI as the disorder is all about immune system over-producing.

So, basically, I don't feed it. Use Brewers Yeast tho'.

This! Sweet itch sufferers immune system is already overstimulated, so garlic makes it worse!