does it matter if you have a pony but dont ride it

lizzypeg

Visit site
my pony has just been given the all clear to come back into work after 3 years field rest.
problem is i just dont really want to ride him.
iv got so used to not riding and am always pushed for time with current job that even though hes been ready to ride for last month iv only sat on him once.
i feel bad as im not riding him and hes only 9.
but i have no motivation to ride.theres no one at lil private fields i keep them on to really ride with either and the hacking isnt great.
iv never been one to enjoy just riding in field and schooling....
i think if i had acres of off road riding on my door step i may feel different as could just hack out then but all our hacking involves road work first and i cant take him straight out on roads without getting him fit in field first(as need to trot on on a lot of roads as busy and will cause a hold up if just walking).
im seriously considering moving him out of area to a yard with better hacking but i keep my other 2 at the field and couldnt afford to take all 3 to a different yard unless it was grass livery which hardly anywhere around here does.
i like my lil yard for my youngster and companion as neither need to be exercised.
i love the looking after and care side of it but just feel im letting him down if not doing some ridden work with him as hes too young to retire and iv spent last 3 years when he wasnt allowed to be ridden perservering with vets,chiros etc to get him back to being able to be ridden.......

sorry its long and rambling but i just feel bad at moment and feel guilty when i go and do my jobs and then dont ride him.
i cant get a sharer there as no safe place to leave his tack so keep it in my car.so would need 2 sets of tack if he had a sharer so they could also ride.

Fuzznugget

gloucestershirehorseriders.webs.com
What about loaning him out? That way you'd still be able to keep him, and he'd get some more ridden work. I don't think it matters really - it's your pony, if you're happy just having him in the field and taking care of him, then enjoy him how you want to.

Max123

Visit site
I would strongly consider loaning him out even though he will be perfectly happy grazing away. I had a mare that I lost confidence to ride but couldn't bear to part with her so just left her out to graze and every now and again I would feel guilty about a good horse not being used to her full ability. When she was 14 I started to ride her with help from an instructor but she was intermittently lame with arthritis/unexplained lameness and I always regretted that I didn't get help at an earlier stage when she was sound. After lots of bills for exploratory veterinary work and schooling costs she ended up back in her field where she still grazes happily 4 years later but I do wonder what could have been.

amandap

Visit site
No! :D I'm sure many horses enjoy being ridden (many not too) but will not riding affect them adversely? I don't think so. Will they feel 'lost' or underused or even cheated? I don't think so. :D
Humans aspire to hacks, jumping, riding, NOT horses. Go with the flow and both be content and happy. :)

celia

Visit site
Agree with above. Horses don't care if they're ridden or not. He's certainly not 'wasted' if you enjoy caring for him. Do what makes you happy - that's what we have them for after all. :)

Maisy

Visit site
...I certainly hope not, as I have a pony (who was meant to be for the kids....who clearly have no interest in riding!), who doesn't get ridden much!!! She is treated just like the others....vet, dentist, stable, brushing, tlc etc etc, but she just doesn't have to work for her living!! I don't think she cares!

lynseylou1

Visit site
I was in a simialar situation with my last horse, had to work a lot more hours and lost interest for riding for a little while. I found through word of mouth a lady to share my cob. She wanted to ride but didnt have time or money to have her own. So she started coming twice a week. She paid for her shoes, gave me 2 days off a week and my horse got to have 2 people loving and grooming and still went out for a bimble twice a week.
If you find the right person sharing can be great!
Good luck x

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I have a section A who has never been broken in,shes a pet and then I have my coloured cob who was proffessionally broken in at 7 hes now 9 and you know what hes hardly ever ridden,but hey hes quite happy in the field grazing. I might let my daughter ride him on lead rein now for next two weeks and then get on him myself as i have (lost confidence),so your not alone.DO WHAT YOU FEEL and do what you want to do.

lizzypeg

Visit site
thanks.my sister said the same.just feel like i have to get him riding again as well meaning friends all tell me how good it will be to see him out and about riding etc..peer pressure without meaning it i guess....
hes happy pottering about in field with others eating.

Hebe

Visit site
Well i have quite a few that look like beautiful ornaments in the field, theyll all be doing jobs as time goes on, well bar the elderly who can jolly well enjoy theyre retirement :)

Do what you think is best :)

shorexhorse

Visit site
You sound like you take care of him very well as it is and I personally dont think it matters too much because its not like he's cooped up in the stable all day. From another point of view though, if you didnt mind sharing, could you possibly advertise for an experienced teenager/adult (dont know what size or kind of ride he is sorry) to bring him into fitness and do the riding for you?

That way, the right person who hasnt got a horse of their own for whatever reason gets to enjoy the 'fun' part of yours which is the riding, but you'd still get to look after him and do the loving side which you enjoy more?

Obviously its a personal decision and its up to you to decide what you want to do with him, but considering getting someone else to ride him, if there is anyone in your area might ease your guilt.:)

Gavalohori

New User
Visit site
Hi - I understand how you feel - I am in a similar situation and constantly stress about my horse -he should be doing more, he should have a better life, etc., when everyone tells me he is perfectly happy and content. I live on Crete, so I am afraid he hasn't got a lovely big green field, he has a fairly, hilly, rocky enclosure, but with lots of shade. He is an ex-racehorse from Athens that I rescued from an attempt to do tourist rides on the beach. He has old tendon injuries on his knees, so could never work hard, but would be fine for gentle hacks. Like you he comes out straight onto a tarmac road, with nowhere to lunge him first, and no space to school him, teach him some manners. Typically he is very bad at standing still to mount, so it is a bit risky from the outset. I rode him when I first got him 5 yrs ago, persevering after one very bad fall which put me out of action for months, but I am afraid I am now not fit enough to ride him. There aren't other 'horsy' people on the doorstep to help out as in the UK. I need to accept that he has a better life with me than he would have had out here. The villagers are quite proud of him - he is the only horse around here -and a very beautiful chestnut- he was even 'November' in the village calendar! He is a joy to take care of, and that will have to be enough!

ThePinkPony

Visit site
I dont think its strictly true that horses miss work.

We had an eventer at the yard that was on box rest and every single time someone walked past with tack he would whine like a starving horse thats just seen an apple.

Why not loan him, or get a sharer. There are loads of people who havent got the opportunity to own their own horse and you could be providing them with a massive opportunity.

Lydz13

Visit site
I dont think its strictly true that horses miss work.

We had an eventer at the yard that was on box rest and every single time someone walked past with tack he would whine like a starving horse thats just seen an apple.

Why not loan him, or get a sharer. There are loads of people who havent got the opportunity to own their own horse and you could be providing them with a massive opportunity.

It's like people, some like to work, some don't. If I was a horse, I would be a plough horse LOL :D I would probably as happy in a nice warm barn with a load of hay as I would working... My OH is definitely a race horse and he needs to be worked every day all day...

What is your pony happy doing? Do you think he'd be better ridden? If so, take the time to hunt for a nice, committed sharer to ride him. If you think he appears perfectly happy, then leave him!

sarahann1

Visit site
I don't think it matters so long as the horse is well cared for and you are both happy. I have a pony who is currently a very pretty field ornament that potentially, maybe could be brought back into work, but he's more than happy in the field with his pals and I'm in no rush to push him. I'm always pretty busy so have a brilliant sharer for my other horse who benefits from being worked a bit.

Do what you feel is right for you :)

Enfys

Visit site
Re: does it matter if you have a pony but dont ride it?

Not in the least, if he's happy, and you are happy then that's fine.
I have a Charley, he'll probably never be ridden in his life, driven maybe.