Does it matter that my horses bit is too big?

Roanioponio

Visit site
My horse wears a 6.5" Mullen mouth loose ring, happy mouth the yellow plastic soft stuff. She has bit guards but it still is a little bit big either side. Only by 1/4 of an inch though, I'd say. She used to have a 6" egg butt but it was far too small, (she's only 15.2)!!! Thanks :)

Roanioponio

Visit site
mt9hf4.png

Equi

Visit site
I would need a picture, but she must have a very thick head lol my 17hh takes 5 3/4 bit and i was worried about it being large! I think being too small is much worse than being too big, but preferably it should fit perfectly ;)

Roanioponio

Visit site
I tried to upload one not sure if it did though! I'm not sure she's quite a fine Irish type not a big head really, where I bought her from said to use a 5.5 bit and that turned out to be the root of her problems, I worked out 6 1/4 is perfect with bit guards but could only find a 6 1/2 to buy, as she head tosses with joints and is really sensitive but goes well in that bit! Horses 😂

be positive

Visit site
That does look rather big and more than 1/4 in unless it is not equal on both sides, at 15.2 I am surprised she is in even a 6in bit unless her head is bigger than it looks, a bit that is too wide will be moving about more than ideal although with it being a mullen mouth it is not as bad as it would be if it had joints to end up on the bars or catching the inside of the cheeks, you may find if you use a smaller one you dont need the bit guards as there is less movement.

Equi

Visit site
Just seen pic lol

one issue i see is that the rubber guards sliding on it will cause pinching that they are there to stop i assume. The bit seems to hold the cheek pieces out too, so im not sure you would be getting the best contact. She seems to have fat lips (not uncommon in cobby types) so sometimes a thicker bit to take up the lip can help.

Last edited:

Roanioponio

Visit site
Thank you, I had the same bit as a 5.75 at one point but it was too small, and she just seems happier with the bit guards being a very sensitive horse, hopefully a 6" will do her fine (now off to buy my 8th bit) horses! 😝 Thanks!

Tnavas

Visit site
As your bit has no joint then it doesn't matter that the bit is too wide. Regardless of its length it will stay at the correct height all the time.

A too big jointed bit is a different matter as it folds in the mouth and the joint ends up too low in the mouth and encourages the horse to get its tongue over the bit. Too narrow and it pinches.

To measure your horses mouth, get a piece if dowel and a marker pen. slide the length of dowel into the horses mouth and mark on each side by the lips.

For your mullen mouth the bit can be the same size or a few ml wider, for a jointed you usually allow a further 1cm.

touchstone

Visit site
A bit whether jointed or straight will cause bruising to the corners of the mouth if it is too wide, I'd drop down a size personally.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Does it matter if your shoes are too big? Yes of course it does. Even with the bit guards, and even with a straight bar bit, it will have too much play and slide from side to side. Much better if you can find the right size.

Tnavas

Visit site
A bit whether jointed or straight will cause bruising to the corners of the mouth if it is too wide, I'd drop down a size personally.

Does it matter if your shoes are too big? Yes of course it does. Even with the bit guards, and even with a straight bar bit, it will have too much play and slide from side to side. Much better if you can find the right size.

If the rider is hauling on one rein, dropping the contact on the other then I will agree with you.

However if the rider is riding with an even contact the bit will not move around and will not bruise the mouth.

Better a little too big than too small

touchstone

Visit site
If the rider is hauling on one rein, dropping the contact on the other then I will agree with you.

However if the rider is riding with an even contact the bit will not move around and will not bruise the mouth.

Better a little too big than too small

But by applying aids for turning or flexion the bit is going to slide and signals be unclear, creating the possibility of soreness, especially with plastic type bits. You don't have to be hauling for that to happen.

Tnavas

Visit site
But by applying aids for turning or flexion the bit is going to slide and signals be unclear, creating the possibility of soreness, especially with plastic type bits. You don't have to be hauling for that to happen.

No, when you ask for a turn you do not pull the rein way out to the side, you just increase the pressure on that side and the bit stretches the mouth a little. Signals with unjointed bits are always unclear, as the action spreads across the full width of the bit.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ekkkk too big bits, one of my real hates .
If that one of the happy mouths with lumps on the mouth piece they really need to fit properly .

Tnavas

Visit site
Well I'll have to disagree with you Tnavas, increasing the pressure one sidedly will make the bit slide in my opinion. http://horsebitbank.com/some-common-mouth-conditions.shtml.

I would agree that is the lesser evil over a too narrow bit, but a correctly fitting bit should be the ideal.

Agree with you totally re any jointed bit, but not with an unjointed bit.

Double jointed bits also cause bad bruising as the link in the middle is as wide as the gap between the two lower jaw bones, then there is bruising on the bars from the joints between the arms and the centre joint.

Annagain

Visit site
My 16.3hh IDx something has HUGE lips and only takes a 6" so that sounds (and looks from the photos) very big for a 15.2. I find he struggles with a loose ring - even with guards - as his lips are so fleshy that they ooze through the holes in the guards and pinch on both the guards and the bit. Could you try a smaller bit with a fixed ring? This is far less likely to pinch. Mine is in a mullen mouth hanging cheek and really seems to like it.

abbijay

Visit site
My maxi-cob-type takes a 6 - 6.5 inch bit. It fits correctly. He is 14.2. :)

BogTrotter, I have to ask; I always thought a maxi cob was an overheight cob but otherwise proportioned the same. Is an underheight maxi-cob not just a cob? Genuinely interested in learning different classifications.

Tnavas

Visit site
My 16.3hh IDx something has HUGE lips and only takes a 6" so that sounds (and looks from the photos) very big for a 15.2. I find he struggles with a loose ring - even with guards - as his lips are so fleshy that they ooze through the holes in the guards and pinch on both the guards and the bit. Could you try a smaller bit with a fixed ring? This is far less likely to pinch. Mine is in a mullen mouth hanging cheek and really seems to like it.

I've got a shaped sweet iron, single joint for my Clydesdale

be positive

Visit site
BogTrotter, I have to ask; I always thought a maxi cob was an overheight cob but otherwise proportioned the same. Is an underheight maxi-cob not just a cob? Genuinely interested in learning different classifications.

A maxi cob is one that is over 15.1 so unable to show as a light or heavyweight, a 14.2 would be classed in my mind as a small or mini cob certainly not a maxi.