Does it matter when a bitch is spayed?

pippixox

Visit site
Asking on behalf of friend mostly and also generally wonder as there seems to be mixed messages?!

So we are currently with friends and one has a 9 month old bull breed who my lab boy is very interested in! Smelling a lot and she is ‘flirting’ with him, so pretty sure she is about to get her first season (so keeping a close eye as lab is entire. She does not live with us!)

Now he has been told to wait 2 months after her first season. Other friends say between two seasons. But you may not be sure of the length in young dogs. I have also heard to let thorn have two seasons?! But my collie came via a rescue and she was done within days of arriving ages two. They did not know her cycles.

I don’t understand why it would matter when it is done?

My friend kept putting it off with her jack Russel as they would miss the window the vet told her hey needed to do the spray in and she would have another season. Ended up with accidental little aged 3 when she went off and found a boy friend!

Is there a correct time? Why so many mixed messages?!
(Sorry this has probably been answered before. But struggle to find searching for it)

{97702}

Visit site
I struggled with this as well because my rescues always come neutered! Mad Millie lurcher had been in season in rescue kennels just before I got her (I assume her first season) so I was advised to wait 3 months so she was ‘mid cycle’ to have her done. I hated waiting and booked her in on the dot of 3 months!

Having said that I agree that all my other rescues have been spayed when they’ve gone into rescue, usually with no knowledge of where they are in their cycle!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
With a larger breed I would always wait until they have stopped growing, so between 18 months and 2 years old, and yes midway between seasons, so at least 2 months after the season. It is safest to do the procedure between seasons as the blood vessels are enlarged during and close to the season so it increases the risk of haemorrhage.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I’ve been advised by my vets that once the growth plates have formed (around nine months) then three months after the last season. Quite frankly, I cannot wait to get my new bitch spayed due to all these entire dogs with no manners who insist on aggravating her whilst out on walks.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’ve been advised by my vets that once the growth plates have formed (around nine months) then three months after the last season. Quite frankly, I cannot wait to get my new bitch spayed due to all these entire dogs with no manners who insist on aggravating her whilst out on walks.

They still will - assuming she isn't permanently showing signs of being in season. Some dogs are just knicker lifters, and a PITA it is. We get ours done after two seasons, 3 months after the last one.

{97702}

Visit site
They still will - assuming she isn't permanently showing signs of being in season. Some dogs are just knicker lifters, and a PITA it is. We get ours done after two seasons, 3 months after the last one.

Agree with this - I went to greyhound kennels today & a lovely boy who was still entire was after my bitches who were done at least 10 years ago & a year ago respectively! He was firmly put in his place by Amy (my 12 year old lurcher) and didn’t trifle with her again 😄

rara007

Visit site
Between seasons (approx 2-4 months if you assume a 6 month cycle) everything is ‘smallest’. There’s more opinions than there is days in the year- pre season reduces mammary cancer the most, with each further season adding risk, but that’s inappropriate in a large breed and there’s other things dogs are more likely to get if spayed young. You don’t want them too fat or too close to a season for the actual surgery side of it if you can help it. And then you get into ovariohysterectomy vs ovariectomy vs ovary sparing. Each dog, lifestyle and other health considerations (ie a diabetic entire bitch is a nightmare to stabilise) are different so it really is an individual thing for each dog and if the owner is inexperienced their vet to decide. As long as they are spayed before they get a pyometra (or you have finances or insurance to deal with that and know the signs well enough they’re likely to survive) I don’t much care! Some insurance even goes UP now after you spay them! I can see why but that certainly gives mixed messages.

Chiffy

Visit site
I am late to the party here, but advice above is good. Always as near to midway between seasons. Larger dogs need to be near two years old, smaller ones can be a year.
There is a worrying trend among some vets that wish to spay before any seasons, so beware.
I have a flatcoat bitch due to be spayed tomorrow, she has had 3 seasons and will be two years old in May. I also have a much smaller, Collie size Rescue who has had one season and is probably turning one about now. She will be spayed in June which should be mid cycle. She has matured physically so much quicker than the flatcoats.
There are always exceptions to the rule and bitches, as people have said, many rescues, have been non the worse for early spay or not sticking to the mid way rule.

deb_l222

Visit site
It doesn't really matter when it's done but mid-cycle is better as there's less chance of bleeding or of the bitch actually being pregnant! Most pyometras's (I believe) are during or shortly after a season and no vet in their right mind would ever wait to crack on and whip everything out.

I'm patiently waiting for the Willow to come into season again so we can plan her spaying but there's no rush as both the vet and myself want her to be going on for 3 years old before she's done. She has a raft of 'boney' health problems, due to not having a good start and the longer she's left with her hormones, the stronger her legs will become. That's the theory anyway :)

pippixox

Visit site
Well, sorry if this info is a bit gross. But friend and dog are camping and apparently there was lots of white gunk on his sleeping bag this morning 🤢 where she has slept. No blood yet. But my entire male was very interested and tried to jump on her head (😂 he is nearly 4 but not got a clue! Thankfully. Not done as quite a nervous boy who we rehomed a year ago) so she will probably have her first season shortly and I will mention probably best to do around a year (9 months now).

He doesn’t take notice of girls in general including unspayed but not in season. He actually took himself off to our van after a while as she is a bit over the top for him. After the brief head hump attempt!