Does my horse have separation anxiety? If yes how can I help him?

321BumbleBee123

New User
Visit site
Today, I went for a hack with my 15yr old TbX and the hack was around an old polo field (around the middle of the hack you can see the yard). This was my first time hacking him alone and his previous owner said he was ok. However, I started to notice that he was a bit skittish (but assumed it was just excitement and fresh grass) Once I reached the middle section of the hack (where you can see the yard), he spotted the yard spun and galloped back home. He stopped once he saw a field mate. Luckily everyone is ok (I'm not injured and neither is he) However, I was wondering if this could be separation anxiety and if so what I could do to help him? He has been fine to hack in company and never spooks at anything. Don't want a repeat of today so any advice is welcome!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
You sound like a beginner and therefore you should ideally be seeking advise and tuition from someone qualified not a public forum with a 1001 different pieces of advice and opinions. Apologies for sounding tough but no one with experience would describe what you have described and ask for advise on separation anxiety!

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Pay someone experienced to hack him out for you for the next few weeks until he is more settled going out alone. In the meantime, have some lessons on him.

I would strongly urge you not to try and ride him out alone again until someone experienced has ridden and assessed him. Pissing off home is dangerous and needs nipping in the bud right now.

321BumbleBee123

New User
Visit site
You sound like a beginner and therefore you should ideally be seeking advise and tuition from someone qualified not a public forum with a 1001 different pieces of advice and opinions. Apologies for sounding tough but no one with experience would describe what you have described and ask for advise on separation anxiety!
Not harsh, I definitely will ask but I want as much advice as possible from other riders (if that makes sense). I completely agree with you though and will be asking some more experienced riders at my yard!

321BumbleBee123

New User
Visit site
Pay someone experienced to hack him out for you for the next few weeks until he is more settled going out alone. In the meantime, have some lessons on him.

I would strongly urge you not to try and ride him out alone again until someone experienced has ridden and assessed him. Pissing off home is dangerous and needs nipping in the bud right now.
This sounds like a good idea I will talk to my yard manager to see if they know anyone who will do this.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

To elaborate on this, it's not seperation anxiety you described. Assuming it's true he's been fine hacking alone in his old home then it's insecurity in a new place, freshness, and/or lack of confidence in or respect for the rider.

HeyMich

Visit site
My mare can worry a lot when we're somewhere new or she's by herself (I rarely hack alone for safety reasons, plus my kids always want to come with me!) so if I know she's going to worry and fret, then I really make sure I'm confident with her. I don't mean bullying her, but I sit deep in the saddle, I encourage her gently, I talk a lot, and I make sure she doesn't know if I'm feeling nervous myself. She definitely takes her confidence from her rider, and I have to double it when I know that she might worry. But as the others said above, please get some professional eyes on the ground to help you. Good luck.