Does my mini shetland have to wear a bridle for in hand shows?

Emma_93

New User
Visit site
He's a 34 inch miniature gelding, 13 years old. Not sure if he's ever been bitted so was wondering if I could use a leather show slip for him instead of an in hand bridle, just for unaffiliated shows.

supaspot

Visit site
Im pretty sure he should wear a bridle but what the heck , if its an unaffiliated show put slip on him and go and have fun , you might ask the judge what the correct head gear is and get it for him later on

debsandpets

Visit site
I was planning on showing my mini stallion a few years ago, so bought him a lovely in hand bridle etc. he was an absolute git to try to bridle due to previous owners handling (or lack of), so was always a bit wild. I gave up in the end, and still have the bridle in the garage (£50 well spent ............ NOT)

lora3786

Visit site
I think a bridle is 'correct' - I have a plain bridle for my mini gelding just with a simple straight bar rubber bit for in hand (but then he's now driven too so was handy to get him used to a bit, and he was entire until he was 4)
To be honest though as long as its tidy & you're in control, especially for unaffiliated you'll be fine in a slip - only stallions that have to be shown bitted. Most important thing is to have fun! :)

Visit site
Geldings don't have to wear bits. Only stallions or colts 2yo and over are compulsory bit wearers.

A leather slip is fine, not a head collar thought.