Does riding need to be so complicated?

nieghham

Visit site
In which case you are not naturally from England therefore all events in England are internationals for you!

Yes....inside one own continent or common tol leave one country for another is international....outside that domain is the highest level and is considered abroad...again..this term could be just geography too as our countries over here are large equally 2 to the continent and not as numerous as Europe has in it

only_me

Visit site

siennamum

Visit site
Does it count if you compete in multiple dimensions, my horse is often in a World all of his own, does that make him an 'out of this world' horse - or just a bit crap.

3bh

Visit site
I'm an international judge and rider. I've judged some riding club stuff in Scotland, and on my gap yah I rode an equivalent novice test in France. I might be struggling to break the 65 barrier at BD novice on my current horse, but that changes nothing!

Last edited:

kerilli

Visit site
okay... the thing is, most of us on here have a bit of, ahem, dare I say it, contempt for anyone who has competed abroad at a low level and thereafter claims to be an International Rider, because to us, call us snobs or whatever, an International Rider is a top Pro who goes abroad to do BIG STUFF.
*trying to be helpful and explain* ;) ;)
e.g. I would never dream of calling myself an "International Event Rider" even though once upon a time I did a fairly big event (CCI***) in Germany, but I wasn't on a squad or a team, I was there under my own steam, and it was only the once, so imho I didn't earn the right to consider or call myself a big cheese. Does that make sense?

SpottedCat

Visit site
Does it count if you compete in multiple dimensions, my horse is often in a World all of his own, does that make him an 'out of this world' horse - or just a bit crap.

No, I am sorry, you must try harder. If you take him to Wales, then you'll both have ridden internationally though, so really, what are you waiting for? Shall we go this weekend? Have you not taken him to Broomes yet?

3bh

Visit site
Has anyone ever been to deepest darkest east anglia? That feels like another world (to get there at least) - does that count?

meardsall_millie

Visit site
No, I am sorry, you must try harder. If you take him to Wales, then you'll both have ridden internationally though, so really, what are you waiting for? Shall we go this weekend? Have you not taken him to Broomes yet?

See, this is where it's so much easier for you - you're on the right side of the country. We have so much further to travel.

Unless I went across the border to Norfolk - I'm sure that would count as they all talk funny.....

Perhaps Lolo could clarify? ;)

siennamum

Visit site

Actually I was 2nd in a dressage test in Germany when I was 18 so frankly I have nothing to prove.

Last time we went to Wales we were eliminated so I am not going back, also the water tray at broomes is really really wide so it's a no go for us I'm afraid.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
unfortunately for me although born on a little island and moving to England at the age of 18 by your rules I have competed internationally. Actually I have actually represented my Island in team dressage and Showjumping competitions against the likes of the UK, Ireland and France BUT I would never consider myself an international rider. I am a lil lowly amateur who has happened to do half decently to an ok level in a few different disciplines (not GP but not miles away!) and have a decent working and technical knowledge of dressage (well Molly Sivewright and Adam Kemp both once upon a time rated me, Adam even offered me a job!) but I very rarely spout my achievements as I have no need or desire (yes yes I know I have done so here but only to illustrate a point)

On this forum you have to target your replies to the posters both the original and any that may be reading, so far you have massively fallen wide of this going into far too much technical detail. I would normally say to myself would someone with basic understandings understand or at least appreciate the detail of my response? if yes fabulous if not it gets reworded!

Amaranta

Visit site
Ahem, I LIVE in deepest darkest flattest East Angular. I consider myself a Universal Eventer because trust me, it's like being on a different planet.

Bleddy hell, I was just going to say that I am an Inter Galactic Rider, completely out of this world!

nieghham

Visit site
oh no! now geography is getting complicated:eek:

Here I will try to help...on our side we have 2 large land masses we call continents...you guys have continents too but here there is the North American Continent where I live in one of the two countries on it that make up this continent...I live on the top part called Canada...it is one of the largest countries in the world and hard to miss on the map....the US has the lower section and while not as large...you can fit 80% of Europe in it of not up to 90%

On the bottom of this large continent is the South American one....I do not go there....it is a bit unsettled unless one is going to a carribean location

Now...the location differences of countries nevermind whole continents can dictate many things like other language/food choices/terms of communication/religon/customes/tradition.....much like the Scots are neighbours to england yet the accent is so differ3nt...heck..this can happen right in apersons own country if it is big enough or has several provinces/states

Hope this helps....I also hope it helps in showing when I am truly being sarcastic...if this misses the boat I am sure I can do better:D

Last edited:

Jesstickle

Visit site
Ahem, I LIVE in deepest darkest flattest East Angular. I consider myself a Universal Eventer because trust me, it's like being on a different planet.

You aren't the Angles proper. You float about in that weird part with no trees don't you? ;)

I am in real Norfolk and I can assure that yes, it is another country, so because I have competed both here and in the home counties I too am an international rider.

oldvic

Visit site
In answer to the original question, no, riding and training horses neither should be or is complicated, it just isn't easy! We need to understand the theory which, in itself, is not so hard. When it comes to applying that theory the feeling for what is needed is required and the decisions have to become instinctive otherwise the moment has gone. There is time to think what exercises might help or to tell yourself to sit up or similar but there is not time to say to yourself anything too long winded or complex. Horses actually respond best to a simple set of rules. It is our responsibility to be consistent with our requests and keep things as understandable as possible. That means the combination of leg, seat and rein needs to be suitable for each horse's physical and mental needs but their job stays the same (inside leg, outside leg, inside rein, outside rein and seat).
If I got complicated with any of my clients (human or equine) they would just stand and look at me like I had come from Mars or tell me where to go in fairly plain terms! This is lucky as I'm a simple soul!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Has anyone ever been to deepest darkest east anglia? That feels like another world (to get there at least) - does that count?

I went to pick some random tatt my OH bought off ebay! It is another world never mind another country.

BTW we once went to do Pony Club Prince Philip Cup in Isle of Man, does that make me an 'abroad' rider? Scotland & Wales don't count as I go there all the time!

Auslander

Visit site
Here I will try to help...on our side we have 2 large land masses we call continents...there is the North American Continent where I live in one of the two countries on it that make up this continent...I live on the top part called Canada...it is one of the largest countries in the world and hard to miss on teh map....the US has the lower section and while not as lage...you can fit 80% of Europe in it of not up to 90%

On the bottom of this large continent is the South American one....I do not go there....it is a bit unsettled unless one is going to a caribean location

Now...the location differences of countries nevermind whole continents can dictatemany things like other language/food choices/terms of communication/religon/customes/tradition.....much like the Scots are neighbours to england yet the accent is so differ3nt...heck..this can happen right in apersons own country if it is big enough or has several provinces/states

Hope this helps....I also hope it helps in showing when I am truly being sarcastic...if this misses the boat I am sure I can do better:D

But this is not the issue. The issue is the definition of an international competitor. It's not geographical as much as an indication that someone is good enough to represent their country. That's what people are trying to explain.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
On the bottom of this large continent is the South American one....I do not go there....it is a bit unsettled unless one is going to a caribean location

Say what?? You base this information on...? There may only be 2 countries in N America, but there are lots and lots in S Am and you really should not be tarring them all with the same brush. Not with school children being murdered in schools in the USA...

Jesstickle

Visit site
PF- you're definitely an international rider!

I love Geography too. I always did like colouring in ;) (sorry and real geographers, that's all we did at school in geo lessons though :eek: )