Does such a person exist?

Alfami

Visit site
OK, so here's my dilemma. In my field is a 16yo, 16.3 TB gelding who has evented, successfully, up to and including Novice BE.

But, I have two small children, a full time job, an hours commute and a husband who works very unpredictable hours - making it nearly impossible to exercise regularly, let alone get him fit enough to do anything.

The poor boy is bored, bored, bored. I won't sell him, but wondered if there's anyone out there who might be interested in sharing? I don't (at the moment anyway) want any financial contribution, or even help with the work (he lives out unless the weather is completely disgusting). But what I do want is someone reliable and competent!

If I could find the right person, I'd happily let him event at BE90 and maybe BE100, he could do local level HT's, dressage (not that easy on the flat) SJ and is nice enough to do workers at a decent level. The bonus for me would be that he's then fit enough for me to jump on and do things when I do have the time.

He has a few physical issues, that managed correctly are fine, but I want him to stay where here is so I can keep an eye - I've tried loaning and it didn't work - never again. I don't have an arena, but do have access to one and we have plenty of grass to school on. He's a saint most of the time, but is a very big TB, so he does have his moments and needs a competent jockey.

He's in very very light work at the moment and would need several weeks of conditioning work to get fitter and schooling to persuade him that's he's more than a happy hack again!

Anyone interested? I'm near Buntingford in Herts........

Alfami

Visit site
Anyone? This is a free horse, to effectively treat as your own. He's a quality beast too.......(and yes, I am biased!).

Sophie123

Visit site
Sounds like a brilliant opportunity for a competent individual.

You could ask around, put a little advert in a few local tack shops? He sounds great, and I'm sure someone would love the opportunity to exercise/compete him for you.

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Not sure advettising is allpwed on here.

I'd be put off whe you say he'd be fit and ready as and when you decide you have the time to compete/dp something with him. Would just make me feel like I was doing all the hard work for yiu to come and take over at the best part. Just personal opinipn though.

Sorry for spelling phone is rubbush in q hurry!

Alfami

Visit site
Oh! Is that considered advertising? It's not like I'm selling him or looking for any cash. If it is and TFC would disapprove, could someone let me know and I'll remove it.

showjumpingfilly, believe me, I wouldn't have much time to do stuff, so there'd be no 'taking over' from whoever gets involved. I might just want the occasional hack (that's faster than a walk) and possibly the odd day's hunting. I don't think that's a lot to ask if I'm still paying all the bills?

Nicnac

Visit site
I don't think it's advertising and I think it's a great opportunity for somebody. I would contact your local pony club/riding club. There may be a competent person out there who has lost their horse or who can't afford their own at the moment due to studies, just graduated etc. You are very clear in what you are looking for so no room for misunderstanding, but would ensure you are covered in terms of insurance.

Many would jump at the chance to ride a quality horse and for free! Amazing opportunity and good luck in finding the right person.

dixie

Visit site
I would jump at the chance. Sadly the commute is too far!
My boy doesn't like the xc so am looking for something to event next year, so this would be an ideal scenario for me.
Perhaps contact your local riding clubs and put up adverts. Word and mouth is often the best way. Good luck.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You just have to keep asking everyone horsey you know get all your horsey friends on the hunt whoever you to for training the farrier anyone you can think of .

Bernster

Visit site
My geography is rubbish so this may not be the area but you could also ask if anyone is at the RVC and can put ad an on their RVC website - we tend to get sharers from there, decent riders but cash strapped. Also Solstince on here is after a ride I think so could PM her.

Alfami

Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Topaz Tiger - I'm in Westmill, so not very far......

Bernster, the RVC is a fairish drive from here (I know, the dog cost me a fortune there a couple of years back), but if I get desperate I might resort to an ad - thanks for the suggestion.

Goldenstar - that's part of the problem. I've only been here a short-ish while and although I have hunted, it's not been that frequently so I'm not really acquainted with the local horsey set. I could relatively easily loan him for hunting I think, but I don't really want anyone other than me to hunt him - I'd be worried about accidents, to either him or the rider. Not because he's dangerous (he's not) but just because it's hunting, and these things happen.

Wench - LOL! I work at the 'local' Ag college. I know the set-up very well and I wouldn't subject him to it for all the tea in China. It wouldn't suit him anyway. I don't think there's one closer.

Nicnac - thanks. Will consider, but I really wanted someone that I can trust, so I'm wary of a random advert. Somehow on here I feel that I stand a better chance of attracting a quality person - maybe that's naive!! :D

Dixie - I think I'd be worried if you were prepared to take on that commute!! ;) Good luck finding something.

georgiegirl

Visit site
might be worth contacting your local riding clubs and also seeing if you have any equestrian pages on facebook which are local to your area?

It sounds like a great opportunity for someone - its just finding the right person!

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Sorry op, i thought you wanted the occasional compete, my mistake.

And i see what you mean re advertising - would anyone be interested in this sort of setup as opposed to would anyone like to share my boy?

Sorry!!

fiveleafclover

New User
Visit site
I think you could definitely find someone - are you far from the Uni, try advertising there? If I was close enough I would have loved to do it. If you do put out an ad you can always ask for references?

Passage...

Visit site
Great opportunity for someone. They do exist but be prepared to go through a long process trying to find one. I found the best person I could have wished for to have mine ironically via hho. They are out there don't give up! Xx

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm going to give you very "North American" advice ;), which is to contact local trainers you like and/or who have been recommended to you and ask them if they have a student or other associate who could take on the ride, perhaps while their own horse is off. I would not let a horse of that calibre go to someone who is not receiving some sort of at least semi-regular instruction and I'd also want to be okay with that instruction so it hits multiple birds.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm going through a similar thing at the moment to try and get my two fit. Be careful - you end up with a lot of people who think they can ride a competition horse, but actually struggle when they get on! Then I got a lot of teens that just wanted to get on and jump and go xc, not putting the ground work in. I've found it very easy to get a sharer for the easier hunter type of my husband's, who is very laid back, but slightly harder for the sharper horse. I'm a bit wary of putting random ads up. I did in the end, but stressed that they were not bad horses, but not riding school ones either, and that they needed getting fit...

At the moment I've got someone about to start sharing the easier one, and we will see how she goes on. I could still do with someone for my mare!

Thistle

Visit site
I'll have a think and see if I can come up with more suggestions. I have contacts for both local PC's and poss RC's. Did the person I suggested before not work out, or did she want more than you could offer? I also have contacts at a few local liveries that may know of someone.

How about that coffee sometime. I have to go to Sales today, if you are home I could call in on the way back and meet him!

Alfami

Visit site
Thistle - In and out today, but you're welcome to pop in if you want to - I'll PM you my mobile number so you can check I'm here! The person you suggested said no - too many others to ride and I think she thought he'd be too big for her.

TarrSteps - I'm amused that's North American advice! Good idea though. Unfortunately the instructor I uses travels up from Kent and teaches in Essex, but there is perhaps another one I could ask. I agree about the regular lessons though.

Honey08 - it's a nightmare isn't it! Good luck finding people for yours.....

Thanks others for your suggestions. It's a real pity those of you who would be keen are so far away. Perhaps I should just move! :D

TarrSteps

Visit site
:D When I say things like that here I invariably get affronted people telling me coaches have no business being involved in things like choosing horses or passing judgement on their students' ability. ;) Although it often actually comes under the heading of 'word of mouth'. ;)

Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of people doing 90/100 without regular instruction but for your particular situation I think I'd want as many experienced people invested in the outcome as possible. So long as you basically agree, of course!

Chops

Visit site
I rode a horse on this type of arrangement for couple of years. I still had couple of my own but turned out to be a fantastic horse and we won loads of things. I just turned up and rode, none of the other expenses. I only gave it up as my job changed and one of mine came back into work and horse was put in foal.

Alfami

Visit site
:D When I say things like that here I invariably get affronted people telling me coaches have no business being involved in things like choosing horses or passing judgement on their students' ability. ;)

Really? Isn't that what they're for? If you trust them to help you then why wouldn't you trust their opinion about a potential horse/rider combi? Bizarre!

It's just a shame she's in Kent...... I'd like nothing better than for her to tell me that a pupil of hers needs a ride; the only complication is that I don't want him to move - for reasons mentioned previously. He's very special to me, I've owned him since a just-backed 4yo and I really need to do the right thing by him, he's just not anybody's ride - so I have to be careful!

sarahann1

Visit site
Sounds like a brilliant opportunity for someone, sadly the only box I'd tick is reliability!

Probably already been suggested but what about contacting local riding clubs?

Good luck!