Does the hunt, hunt near your horses?

Inthesticks

Visit site
Was just looking to know if the hunt meet and hunt in the areas you keep your horses?

If they do, do your horses bother with it, get excited?

Do you leave them out still if you know they are coming?

Clodagh

Visit site
Yes, yes and no too.
The hunt meet here. Any days they are meeting here or in the area we get carded and my horses come in. In main so I can open all the paddock gates for the hunt to get through. Horses aren't overexcited as they see it a lot, if they were out they would gallop about I should think.

Inthesticks

Visit site
So is them getting excited about it the reason they come in? (apart from Clodagh)

If your horses had a little run about but were used to them coming (due to cubbing) would you leave them out?

Fools Motto

Visit site
Yes, Yes and Yes. They are much better, and less excited when out.. they just stand and stare between a few laps!! In the stables, all hell would be let loose, and mare would drop far too much weight and be a foaming mess.
We actually have a meet at our farm. We just allow the master and another to go directly past our field, the rest have to go around!!

Mrs B

Visit site
They come across the land and through the horses' fields over the hunt jumps, so yes, we keep them in on those days.

be positive

Visit site
Yes, some do some are not that bothered, I get in the ones that may be.

On Saturday the local hunt entered a field with a horse in, the horse was apparently already running around and upset, full details are unclear but at some point the horse escaped, got onto the road and was let into a field adjoining mine, I brought him in and the owner was contacted. In this case there was no real harm done apart from a few scrapes he got off lightly, I kept him overnight as it was too dark to check the field was safe to return him to, at that stage it was unclear how he had got out.
The owner is contacting the hunt to find out why they entered the field, the land owner had not invited them, it was not possible that they had got in by mistake or that they could not have seen the horse, it is a fairly small field by the house not part of a farm.

Inthesticks

Visit site
Yes of course, sorry thats not how I meant it, I just wondered if they have permission to hunt over a farms land, does that give them the right to go in fields with horses in, or do they not do that in general.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's a bit like fireworks. Some horses don't give a rap, some go ballistic, some are better in their stables, some are better out.

Just as long as the hunt informs horse keepers that they are coming, then owners can make up their minds.

Some hunts are much better than others about keeping outsiders in the loop.

Personally, I would never dream of riding through someone else's fields if they had horses turned out on them.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The hunt are very good and always let us know when they will be in our area. I did try putting the horses in when the hunt came by, but the horses got very stressed, so I leave them out now. Last time they came most of the hounds got lost and ended up in the field with the horses. My grey has been known to chase dogs, but luckily she just watched them go by. I get more worried about getting the cats in before the Hunt come.

100_2109.jpg

kerrieberry2

Visit site
my friend moved her horse to a yard where the hunt came passed, it was only a few days after she arrived that they came passed, her horse and mini pony got very excited trashed through the fencing and took themselves off half way across the countryside! they were missing for about 6 hours when the hunt found them and boxed them back to the yard!! im pretty sure they lost each other too!

Inthesticks

Visit site
Mine are like yours faracat, they dont really bother but they do stand around and listen. I dont worry about the hounds in my field, just if they enter my field on horseback...(the hunt riders that is, not the hounds ha)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes, I think that hearing everything but not being able to see it (the stables are at the bottom of the hill and facing the wrong way) was more stressful that being in the field and therefore able to see and hear the hunt.

SuperH

Visit site
My two had the hounds in their field on and off all day on Monday. They were excited but fine so I left them to it. I only saw three horses with the hunt, they were in the same field as mine but the other side of the electric fence. The two ponies I had before these I had to keep in as otherwise they would have escaped and joined in.

Regandal

Visit site
Yes, yes and yes. The local hunt meet at our yard a few times a year. The horses get a bit excited at first, but soon settle. You sometimes find a random horse parked in your stable though, waiting to be collected later.

EllenJay

Visit site
They used to - before the BAN!!
Horse had the choice - panic or eat - Eat always won!
Always leave out - less likely to injure themselves than if they were in. Keeping them in means they relied on reduce senses and therefore can not so easily make sensible decisions. If I keep my boy in - he panics and charges about the stable, if he is out, he watches, digests and grazes. Far better in my opinion.

mirage

Visit site
Yes,yes,and I leave them out.2nd horses was right next to their field recently and they weren't bothered at all.They seem more interested in the hounds than the horses and don't race about getting in a state.

hobo

Visit site
Mine stay out and quietly watch if I keep them in they are very stressed and box walk. The hunt come right next to their field though I was not impressed that one huntsman shouted at my mare for raising her foot at a hound seeing as it was in HER field.

rema

Visit site
Yes,yes/no and yes/no..I have one seasoned hunt horse who couldn't care less but have one mare who i don't think has ever been and she goes nuts..Tried to jump a hedge with a fence on the top in one jump..failed completely and landed on a heap on the floor..luckily no broken bones..I have since moved to my own place and no hunt that comes near..

nix123

Visit site
Yes, Yes and a yes/no, depending on how close they are, if they were in the next field over the hedge so to say then i think my big lad would hop over and join them! If they're a couple of fields away he doesn't bother.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
we have the hunt go through our land and the YO allows them to jump through our fields(we have a small cross country course) so we always get ours in so they can jump everything if they want to. i feel mine is safer in anyway, and our hunt always ask the YO permission to cross the land so we always know when they are coming...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was hoping that my homebred 2 yo filly would be ok to leave out when the hunt are nearby. Her mum goes potty and has to be in.

Unfortunately, my youngster's foster weaning companion, although normally very steady, went ape, and has got mine get overwrought too whenever she hears the hunt.

The fostered weaning companion has now returned to the RSPCA, now her work is done.....

budley95

Visit site
Hunt meets at our yard. They always let us know thery'e coming. And mine always stays out when they are. If he's in he box walks and loses the plit. If he's out. He trots along the fence snorting for a bit and then goes back to eating. The hunt are incredibly good though at letting us know.