Does the perfect horse exist?

Annagain

Visit site
Reading the "100% as described" and the "which vices are a no-no" threads has got me thinking about whether the perfect horse exists. I'm pretty cynical and don't think it does - in the same way that there's no such thing as the perfect person.

Monty, my share horse is seen by most people who see him out and about as 'Mr Perfect'. He's chilled as anything at the trailer, goes in to the ring or onto the XC course and performs very consistently, then goes back to the trailer and back to sleep. He's very talented, very genuine, a dream to handle and a gentle giant. His owner's kids have been leading him in from the field since they were 3 or 4 and he's 17hh! He lets the chickens and dogs share his feed and has been known to share his bed with the farm cat.

He's the closest thing I've had to perfect but even he has his faults. He's vile to other horses, isn't 100% in traffic, can be lazy, especially in the school if he's been in there a lot, (and by a lot I mean more than twice a week!) is prone to the odd buck out on a hack and can spook for Britain.

So does anybody have a perfect horse?

ihatework

Visit site
I don't think the perfect horse does exist!
There are many whose good qualities far outweigh their bad ones though.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I think perfect horses are made rather than brought.
Merl became my perfect horse, he was deemed dangerous to handle and had been through several sales rings and private homes in just a few weeks but my friend and I persevered on the ground and he was always perfect for me to ride. Sadly he had spavins one of which became very severe and didn't respond to treatment and I had to have him put to sleep earlier this year, not an hour goes by when I don't miss him.

scheherazade

Visit site
One man's meat is another man's poison.

Exactly. Perfect to me would mean very very sharp off the leg, forward going and adaptable, has cracking jump and a quick enough brain to get you out of trouble, but with enough manners on the ground to allow a child or a novice handle it. I have a friend for whom perfect means absolutely steady in all environments, and will not take off if a pheasant suddenly flies out in front of her, where she can totally relax and unwind, and know that she is safe on that horse, whether she is hacking or hunting.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The perfect horse for the job you need one for exists in almost all cases but the horse that's perfect for everyone does not , for instance Fatty is perfect for my OH but not all perfect for me (not sharp enough) my TB is perfect for me now but would not have been perfect for me at thirty as I would have wanted something well ....nuttier .

Capriole

Visit site
Course it does. Many horses are the perfect horse for something, or for someone. What's perfect for me will not be perfect for you.

The idea that there is one perfect ideal mega-horse out there though that would be all things to all people, no, obviously not realistic.

Archangel

Visit site
I have met 3 perfect horses. They really were perfect, worth their weight in gold. Perfect for anybody, they would take a nervous novice round the block and then zip off round an open cross country course. They were both owned by normal people, not super serious riders that schooled every day. The horses arrived 'made' and just stayed that way.

I have owned horses that were perfect for me though, from a mercurial little thing that spent almost her entire life with just one outside edge of a back foot on the ground to another I don't think I was ever truly in control of out of a walk. Both my idea of perfect.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Yes I've three. They each have their own quirks, very different in personality and one I considered a big mistake for a while... But all are perfect for me.

All three will come to greet me in the 35acre field (thank god!) And can catch 100% of the time. One is being brought back into work and will pick up and hand you her headcollar if you put it down. One is newly backed and loving it (didn't notice me get on first time and no reaction to anything, like she's been doing it for years) And one has found her confidence and gone from shaky nervous of new things, to absolutely full of confidence (to the annoyance of the horses she's now winding up!)

I could have a perfect horse who did everything right first time but didn't have the excitement to see you or go out walking/riding... But that wouldn't interest me. I have my perfect horses who have their own personalities and quirks and want to see me as much as I want to see them.

My oh gets on very well with my horses but has no interest in ever sitting on them (he'll get on to help me out but wouldn't choose to ride). I have two chunky horses who are very comfy and a dinky horse and he has a very fast tb who has two gears, asleep or full pelt and a wb x who is an incredible mover and so cuddly but I would hit the floor before I sat in the saddle! They're all perfect horses for the right owner.

... Although the retired broodies are perfect in both our eyes regardless of how ignorant and bad mannered they can be!

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I'm not just saying this because she was mine, many many people who met her would agree Lucy was the perfect horse.
She knew who was on her back and how she needed to behave. She understood situations and how she needed to behave in each.
For example out hunting we could be up the front helping whip in one minuet then suddenly get a call for help, someone saying a child needed leading and Lucy would instantly switch to being at the back quietly leading a small child on a pony. As the childs confidance grew we could keep up better with the field. Once the child got tired they would go and Lucy would be back up the front again.
Or even just at home she would be sharp for me to ride and very very cheeky but if you sat a child or nervous adult on her she wouldn't put a foot wrong.
She wasn't always this way though as most know she came to me a very troubled mare agressive and dangorous. God I miss her so much. :(

muff747

Visit site
My friend has the perfect horse. He's a well bred arab, beautiful looking but very well behaved. She had to take a break from riding him for a year but occasionally she got chance of a quick hack and he was perfectly behaved, if only a little livelier. He has perfect feet, doesn't need clipping, doesn't shiver unless it's atrocious rain, never sick or sorry.
And of course my horse is too!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
No such thing as the perfect horse, just one that is perfect for YOU. Bit like men. No such thing as the perfect man, just one perfect for you. My friend's OHs are perfect for them, they wouldn't be for me. Just like my horse is perfect for me but others wouldn't find him so.

Spot_On

Visit site
I have met and had the chance to own some perfect horses for myself. Most are at rainbow bridge now, each had their own set of quirks that I worked on or accepted.

Chestnut Cob- everyone I meet wants a OH like mine- Probably because they don't live with him!!!

Lambkins

Visit site
Yep and sorry ladies but his mine all mine !! well he is perfect to me , his beautiful .. Kind .. Mannerly .. Elegant but powerful , will hack anywhere .. Go past anything .. Got mojo to burn .. Snaffle mouth .. Competitive .. Loves to show off ..cheeky ..and much much more !! I bought him as a baby ( now 6) so maybe his perfect because he knows what I expect ..know what he can get away with .. But I guess someone else would think he is a pony sized pain in the butt ;)

Pigeon

Visit site
No I don't think so :)

And even if it did, one person's perfect horse would be the next person's nightmare - some like whizzy, some like slow and steady, etc etc etc

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I used to know some RDA ponies which were used for 'normal' riders in the RS, led by volunteers 2 evenings per week with riders with learning difficulties (and some physical problems), several of whom were noisy when excited. They also went hunting regularly and competed frequently during the summer in showing classes/sj and hunter-trials. At one show, I saw several of them compete with their regular riders and then immediately swap to RDA riders for their classes and not put a foot out of place. They could also be ridden safely on the roads, lived on a working farm and were used to big vehicles.
Admittedly, a few of them had quirks, like trying to bite the volunteer leaders, which needed to be accommodated but I think they were pretty near perfect.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I have my perfect horse. I don't love him but I totally get him, and he totally gets me. I've owned him for 9 years and he will be with me always. He is like an extension of me, it's almost not like riding on him as he takes my cues almost before I give them, it's like he knows what I'm thinking. He's a working AQHA and is a total speed demon who will turn on a dime and stop in one step but he's also content to walk along too. He's unflappable and is not afraid of anything. He will do absolutely anything and everything I ask of him without complaint and I very very rarely have to have any discussions with him. He will go anywhere and go through anything with me. He was 3 years old when I bought him and he'll die in my ownership. I would miss him tremendously if anything ever happened to him as I credit him always with not being able to run my farm the way I want to if it wasn't for him.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I think it's impossible to identify the "perfect" horse. Everyone's needs and wants are different, therefor so will their horses be.

I have my perfect horse- Andusian x Arab 5 year old mare- fantastic alrounder with a huge scopey jump, moves like a dream, and does anything/everything I've ever wanted in a horse. But, with so much talent also comes big quirks. She can be very fiery, is a little madam, and is not for a novice. She's perfect for me, but would not perfect in other people's eyes.

NellRosk

Visit site
Yes, he is perfect for me. Roski is my dream horse and one in a lifetime. I could honestly not imagine life without him and all these current threads on PTS are making me worry and panic so much because I know one day his time will come and I'm not sure how I will say goodbye to my best friend.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think there IS such a thing as a perfect horse but only in relation to the person, what I might think is the perfect horse you might not! Everyone has different priorities and things they'd accept and wouldn't in a horse etc. I'd say my grey is my perfect horse (well bar being now retired due to injury!), he literally read my mind and gave his absolute all when we competed. Ok, he didnt hack as too spooky but I didnt care as he was perfect for everything else - if I was a hacker, well then he wouldnt have been perfect would he. ;)