Does the rain put you off riding?

Squeak

Visit site
As long as my horse has been ridden in the rain enough that he behaves in it if we have to compete in it and doesn't need the session for fitness or comp prep or something then I leave it if it's raining. Neither of us enjoy it but if I need to I will. If I'm on and it starts raining then I just carry on.

I have however found a riding skirt a game changer for riding in the rain as it covers both me and the saddle meaning I'm not soaking and the saddle doesn't get wrecked.

dottylottie

Visit site
i wouldn’t get off or turn back in the rain, and if it’s only light it won’t put me off, but neither of us enjoy the torrential downpours so in that case i wouldn’t bother😂

i know she’s good in the rain, but she doesn’t even like being turned out in it and frankly i wouldn’t like to stand in the garden in it, let alone go for a brisk jog, so we stay in for a stud muffin and a hot chocolate🤣

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
i wouldn’t get off or turn back in the rain, and if it’s only light it won’t put me off, but neither of us enjoy the torrential downpours so in that case i wouldn’t bother😂

i know she’s good in the rain, but she doesn’t even like being turned out in it and frankly i wouldn’t like to stand in the garden in it, let alone go for a brisk jog, so we stay in for a stud muffin and a hot chocolate🤣
My son has just started working at the stud muffin factory 😅

Burnttoast

Visit site
Don't ride now but have ridden in the rain enough (when paid and otherwise) not to fancy the idea much anymore, partly because soggy tack afterwards never appeals. Remember once getting so soaked unexpectedly (no coat to keep the wet off the saddle) that my wet knicker elastic rubbed off a bit of skin about the size of a 10p near my seatbone. That was enormously enjoyable!

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
i’m jealous!! lily doesn’t get them very often, got a pack of 15 about 6 weeks ago and there’s still a couple left, so not even for the horse but for the smell!! i’m obsessed😂
To much cereal things in it for BB but he can have the occasional one. Trying to get BB a modelling job with them 😃😂🤣😂

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm curious, it's currently tipping it down in Wales, and I'm about to get on loxley, for a 'nice ride', but it's not very nice 😂, I've not tacked up yet, and I'm thinking it might be nicer to rug him up and stable him, then I'll go inside and have a brew 😆
Sounds good to me 😂 what did you do?
I’m ok to ride in the rain, I’d give really torrential a miss but do have to ride other peoples horses occasionally in awful weather as I don’t have the option to back out!
Good waterproofs make a huge difference.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm curious, it's currently tipping it down in Wales, and I'm about to get on loxley, for a 'nice ride', but it's not very nice 😂, I've not tacked up yet, and I'm thinking it might be nicer to rug him up and stable him, then I'll go inside and have a brew 😆

Living in Wales (or the UK for that matter), we’d never ride if we waited for decent weather.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I dislike getting wet more tacking up / untacking than actually being out in the rain.

I generally have fixed time windows to ride, and a fairly fixed plan on what we are doing. I have lessons / competitions planned. I try and hack at least twice a week. I try not to school more than two days a week.

If I have a lesson / a need to practise test in 20 x 60 we ride in any weather unless outdoor flooded or frozen.

I do have access to a 15x35m indoor a ten minute walk away. In heavy rain as I tack up, I might divert to schooling indoors. Or taking horse in his turnout to indoor and doing a combination of lunging / in handwork / ground poles / jumping on lunge etc. if it is raining.

I dont tend to hack if the ground is totally sodden and it has rained a lot in last 24 hours as the grass is just slippery which isnt much fun. It drains pretty well in about 12 hours of no rain (chalk turf). But the ground is generally okay for the first few hours of rain, it is just a whole day and night of rain and then it cant drain fast enough.

I also dont tend to change my plans based on the forecast as it is often wrong, and heavy rain doesnt often last very long. I carry on with plans until it is unavoidable it is heavy rain.

I do have all the gear - equidry, kipwarm waterproof breaches, waterproof gloves, waterproof full seat over trousers, kerrits waterproof riding coat, rain legs etc. Good breathable, windsafe, waterproof exercise sheet. Definitely helps.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It didn't bother me in my youth but now I don't ride in winter rain. There is an indoor where I am though.

doodle

Visit site
Yes it puts me off. Again having been paid to ride I had too, and now I don’t so I won’t. If it is just light rain I might still go out. Heavy rain and not a chance. I have a competition on Sunday. It is forecast to rain until then so I probably have to grit my teeth and at least have a 20min hack a couple of days!