Does the shape of a dressage girth make a difference?

asterid

Visit site
Just read Rowy's post and indeed her horse looks to stretch more in front. Noticed that she bought a new shaped girth and is attributing it to the girth. (looking good Rowy).

My horse is never going to be a dressage horse (is a showjumper) but we do play with dressage and working at elementary currently at home. However, our medium trot has never been fancy or stretched out. And I have noticed that she is girthy with the dressage girth but not her stud girth. She is ridden in a non shaped neoprene dressage girth.

So, pondering, does the shape of the girth make a difference? Have you noticed any improvement with mediums etc?

Was looking on good ole ebay and would something like this be better?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-black...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item3a7ae23122

I am never going to spend a fortune on the girth, but ponderings really. Thoughts?

trendybraincell

Visit site
Having recently bought a Fairfax Girth I really do think they make a difference! Previously I've always used a cheap cottage craft girth recommended by my saddler given my horses shape, I had a chat with him about the Fairfax and decided it was worth trying.

My horse is not overly sensitive about girths and has always just gotten on with the work (bless him, he has a good work ethic) but I must say I genuinely have noticed a difference since using the Fairfax, he's not turned into Valegro over night but he is freer, more willing in the lateral work and the mediums!! Lord I couldn't sit to them before but they are throwing me into orbit at the moment!!

HerbiesHuman

Visit site
I think the shape of any girth, beit short or long, will make a difference. I don't think that fairfax is necessarily the answer, but it's publicity has certainly heightened awareness of girth design and I'm sure there are a lot of grateful horses (and owners) out there as a result!

PortuguesePony

Visit site
Have a look at the Mattes anatomical girth, it's about £70 but well worth it in my opinion and is said to have similar results to the Fairfax.

cptrayes

Visit site
A lot of horses move a lot better in an anatomic/banana shape girth. But it needs to be one where the whole girth is curved, not one where the buckles point straight out sideways and there is a wiggle in the girth in the middle.

When laid flat on the floor, the buckles should point away from you, not out sideways.

The other thing to note is that there is currently a fashion for short dressage/monoflap girths. On many horses, that puts the buckles near to the elbow points and also leaves a strip of flesh inches long to be pinched between two girth straps.

trendybraincell

Visit site
The other thing to note is that there is currently a fashion for short dressage/monoflap girths. On many horses, that puts the buckles near to the elbow points and also leaves a strip of flesh inches long to be pinched between two girth straps.

This was a major part of the discussion with my saddler :) the whole point of the anatomical girths (especially the Fairfax) is to disperse pressure as evenly as possible over the greatest area, so I was advised to go up a girth size.

When you sit down and think about the whole design of an anatomical girth it all makes sense

FfionWinnie

Visit site
This is a bit of a basic question but my mare blows out so its really hard to get the girth on the first hole, then once she has stopped blowing out the girth is 4 holes up on either side :rolleyes: on separate occasions my instructor has told me I need to get a longer girth (seeing initial struggle) then on another day I need to get a shorter girth (seeing it up so high) :rolleyes:

I would really like to get one of these girths but I'm worried the shaped bit would end up in the wrong place :confused::eek:

TarrSteps

Visit site
Apparently the Fairfax people make a point of telling buyers to make sure the buckles sit high enough, for which I am eternally grateful as it's a very common problem.

There are horses, too, that simply do not like short girths but this is such an 'unfashionable' opinion now, with the craze for monoflaps, that many people don't even want to consider it.

I'm a bit surprised at the number of horses I meet that are clearly uncomfortable with their girths. In fact I wonder how many horses end up getting worked up for ulcers or back pain when, in fact, a different girth might bring at least a partial improvement. ...

Kokopelli

Visit site
I remember a while back someone said fairfax were bringing out a pony girth. Does anyone know if this is true because the standard one won't fit my boy.

foxy1

Visit site
I'm a bit surprised at the number of horses I meet that are clearly uncomfortable with their girths. In fact I wonder how many horses end up getting worked up for ulcers or back pain when, in fact, a different girth might bring at least a partial improvement. ...

I once had a 'naughty' pony in for re-schooling who was hacked to my yard as she was stabled nearby. The owner was in a rush so left the pony with me tacked up and dashed off. When I tried to untack her, the girth was done up so tightly I couldn't undo it and I nearly had to take a knife to it to get it off. The owner was under the impression that the girth should be as tight as you can possibly get it and had never been told otherwise before.