Does this horse look thin?

SueAllen

Visit site
Or just a bit lean? I have had conflicting opinons and I am not experienced enough to really tell. No ribs visible but in the second picture (taken in May last year) he looks a lot bigger, especially his quarters.

Decemberevening027-1.jpg

Meandmyboy.jpg

Included this one cos he just looks mad!!
Decemberevening018headonly.jpg

S_N

Visit site
Thin yes - skinny and a problem no!

I wouldn't want him to get any lighter though. This is your horse I take it?

vivhewe

Visit site
I'd like to see a bit more on his withers and his rump to be rounder, bit he isn't too thin yet. Personally I wouldn't want him any thinner though. Love the pictue of him with his tongue out
smile.gif

SueAllen

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Having looked at the comparison between the two pics I have been trying to get some more cover on his quarters and neck but I guess it's an uphill struggle at this time of year. He has been hunting twice a week for most of the season but has had a week or so off with a sore on his back. Now that seems better he has just gone lame so some more time off! In the meantime he is getting boiled barley, calm and condition, sugar beet and Alfa A - 3 feeds a day. Plus ad lib hay and a decent amount of haylage. Teeth done in August, wormed in November so can't really think what else to do. By the time I do get on him again he will probably be as mental as he looks in the bottom pic but hopefully will have put some weight on. Any other advice would be well and truly welcome.

S_N

Visit site
Ahhhh well you didn't say that he was hunting fit!! That sheds a WHOLE different light on it!! He looks FAB and FIT!!

ETS - often people are not used to fit horses, so will automatically think of them as thin/skinny, when they are in fact FIT!!

SueAllen

Visit site
Yes, he is mine. A bit concerned about the lack of muscle tone though. We've spent the summer doing flatwork and a bit of jumping and hunting since October. How do I go about getting more muscle tone, assuming I can get a bit more weight on first? Sorry if I sound really thick - explanations in words of one syllable work best for me!!!

SueAllen

Visit site
Sorry - didn't mention it. (Doh!!) He certainly can take two full days out hunting a week without batting an eyelid - he seems to have a lot of stamina - but I don't want to carry on like that if he is likely to lose more weight. The season before I got him he finished looking a bit of a toast rack although picked up well enough when the grass came through again. He is 14 and I guess I am trying to mollycoddle him a bit as I want him to last!!

S_N

Visit site
OK, have you heard of the soaked oat diet? There have been plenty of discussions about it on here, esp. this last week! Would you like me to pm you the fact sheet?

SueAllen

Visit site
I have thanks. I've only really just started with the boiled barley - approx 10 days so I'd like to give that more of a chance before I change his diet again. I do ask a lot of people for their advice which is great but then you do tend to get conflicting opinions!! Several of the hunt people have recommended the barley option which is why I am giving it a go. However, if I don't see much in the way of results I am going to try the soaked oats option. I would appreciate you sending me the fact sheet though. Thanks.
BTW what are you going to call yourself after tomorrow is over??!!
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have thanks. I've only really just started with the boiled barley - approx 10 days so I'd like to give that more of a chance before I change his diet again. I do ask a lot of people for their advice which is great but then you do tend to get conflicting opinions!! Several of the hunt people have recommended the barley option which is why I am giving it a go. However, if I don't see much in the way of results I am going to try the soaked oats option. I would appreciate you sending me the fact sheet though. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise!! Though I will say that SO are A LOT easier to prepare compared with boiling barley. Though if you find that the BB works, which it should, then that's FAB!!! Fact sheet on it's way to you though.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW what are you going to call yourself after tomorrow is over??!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!! Once Admin are back from their hols I'll change back to my usual name - Sportznight
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

fizz-tally

Visit site
looks a bit like jay
P1010471.JPG

hes lost a bit more weight since this pic though
frown.gif

wanting to try the soaked oat diet but have asked about 5 times for the fact sheet on different threads but no one has replied
crazy.gif

Thistle

Visit site
the grey has plenty of muscle, but in the wrong places! However in a horse hunting 2 days a week you are unlikely to be able to build 'dressage' muscle. He is lacking in topline which you could help by schooling him long and low and possible lunging in a pessoa. I'm guessing that when he is hunting he is a bit 'head up and hollow' from looking at the pics.

GTs

Visit site
I would say that is the heaviest I would have a horse - I would try and get his back, back slightly more developed.

SueAllen

Visit site
He does have a bit of a underdeveloped 'dippy' back with high withers which doesn't really do him any favours. He does tend to hollow when challenged at anything and certainly I struggle to get him to work up from behind when we do flatwork and jumping. We have spent most of our summer lessons working long and low though but I guess the hunting has undone a lot of that work. I think we may have to limit the hunting (shame because it is his favourite pastime!!) and work more on his flatwork. I really hate being such a novice at all this. I only want what is best for my horse but it seems to be such a difficult thing to achieve sometimes!
confused.gif

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
Hi

How old is this horse? and what (work) does he do?

I don't think he looks thin at all. He does lack certain muscle tone but it depends entirely on what he does.

I think he looks happy and healthy so you have no need to worry. Were you worried?

Di

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
wanting to try the soaked oat diet but have asked about 5 times for the fact sheet on different threads but no one has replied
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY - I've never seen that - SORRY!!! PM winging it's way NOW!!

Leah3horses

Visit site
Hi ,I had to feed my girl up due to illness and found straight soya flakes the best.Your boy looks fit and well, maybe just needs a bit more feed (soya flakes)to enable him to muscle up a little...I find the soya flakes seem to help my horses put muscle on and give them a bit more stamina for work.He looks a lovely boy,looks young for 14 too!

Happy xmas to all four legged friends and their two legged careers x

patchandloopy

Visit site
hiya,

He looks in v.similar condition to my horse atm, i wouldnt consider my horse skinny but wouldnt want any more off him. He also has a similar prominant bump on his rump more to do with being so weak behind, rather than because lack od condiiton/ weight its taken along time but now we can engage our backend it is slowly improving!!

SueAllen

Visit site
Another bit of good advice - thank you. Goodness knows what this horse will eventually be eating to put weight on - soaked oats, boiled barley, soya flakes, lard??! The irony is I have the opposite problem!

He is a lovely boy, thank you!

grin.gif

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Hi Sue

Been reading this thread with interest,and wondered if you'd considered using Marksway's Barleyplus?It's boiled barley plus linseed,both of which are excellent for weightgain and promoting well being.
Given your boy is hunting fit I don't think he looks thin as such,but he might just benefit from this feed to help him maintain condition rather than lose it during the hunting season.

Here's the weblink just incase you wanted to check it out
smile.gif

Barleyplus

Bethxx

izzyxxx

Visit site
if you have any hills in the area i find with mine (fatty lives on air) walking up hilly roads really helps with her hind quarters and tones her up not trotting though because it doesn't work the right muscles i think cantering works properly if you can find a grassy hill. i personally think he looks perfectly fine to me my old yard owner hunted her thoroghbred (sp) once a week and you could just start to see her ribs but the vet said that she was at her peak so i think he is a good weight!!