Does this scan show mare in foal

pinkgirl

Visit site
got my mare scanned at 25 days back in july,vet says she in foal but couple of folks that have since seen scan says NO....

YOUR ADVICE PLEASE

scan001.jpg

star

Visit site
why would you believe "a couple of folks" over your vet????

of course that is a positive pregnancy scan - i think your vet might have learnt that during his training/career.

benson21

Visit site
If the scan was done in July, she would be around 6 months into her pregnancy. Does she look any bigger? I dont have much knowledge about it, but would it not start to show by now?

pinkgirl

Visit site
she looked like she was in foal when turned out 24/7 but now that she is in at night she has lost tummy.
but this is a maiden mare and wouldnt be due till beginning june.

lauraandjack

Visit site
Yes that is a positive pregnancy scan - but at 25 days you are still in the danger zone of what is referred to as early embryonic loss. That is, the mare has conceived but the pregnancy has been lost before becoming properly established. I would normally recommend that mares that are scanned this early are re-scanned at 8-12 weeks to make sure the pregnancy has been maintained.

I would have the mare either manually palpated (if she is pregnant it will have gone too far to scan by now) or blood tested to see if she is still in foal.

Bedlam

Visit site
Scan shows a clear foetus inside amniotic sac. No doubt about it.

Whether or not your mare is pregnant now is a completely different question.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
QR
Could you not get the vet out again to check her? The 2 mares in foal at our yard are showing they are both around 6 months. One is a maiden.

Hope you get sorted and are able to show us some piccys of a lovely nes foalie soon
FDC

loz9

Visit site
To me that scan looks like a positive result, but if you are at all worried get a vet out to do another exam.

These pics might make you feel a bit better. This is my maiden mare about 8wks before she had foalie (she had been in work up until 4wks earlier hence the clip)
1stpicbout6wksb4due.jpg

& her again at most 2wks before she had him:
PICT1412-1.jpg

I was forever doubting if she was in foal during her pregnancy, but I now have a strapping 14.2 yearling :D

tristar

Visit site
looks ok to me, i would'nt examine internally, i would avoid all uneccessary poking about, if they are at grass the gut is usually larger due to the gases and when inside more its normal to see the belly become smaller,
i find they can change in attitude and become careful and more docile gererally and are good at concealing the pregnancy, many a person has had a big unexpected surprise, around 6 7 months the loins can suddenly look wider especially when viewed from above, and in the evening after the feed and water that is the time to see the foal move, look at the gap after the end of the rib cage.